• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

300 BLK barrel?

shibiwan

Here's an easier piece of data to understand it all.  This was developed by CMMG shortly after 300 BLK was announced (and when CMMG released barrels).  Makes sense this way...

M300-AAC-Blackout-Upper-w-Car-Length-Gas

I'll let you know about one piece of that puzzle after tomorrow - I'm taking out the 16" carbine gas 300 and shooting 220gr subs.  Says "acceptable" in that chart, so we'll see.

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS, check this out...  What projo(s) do .308 AR shooters look for?  168s and 175s, sometimes 165s...  What projos do 300BLK shooters look for?  The light stuff in 110, 115, 125gr, plus the heavies, 200~220...

Who out there is looking for any 150s?  ME.  And they're everywhere.

I shot the 220 subs today - disappointing.  Now, looking at that CMMG info a few posts up, it matched my barrel exactly.  I have the 16" carbine gas.  Should work with 220gr Sub suppressed (not tested), supersonic unsuppressed (passed that with flying colors), and supersonic suppressed - didn't test that either, but I'm positive it'll cycle that with even more pressure...

Now, it's "not recommended" to shoot the 220 subs unsuppressed, with the carbine gas system - it failed that miserable.  Not from an accuracy standpoint - it was ripping up the 50-yard target I was going at.  However, it shot the first two rounds, didn't chamber the third.  Had to hand-cycle it.  And the 4th was hand-cycle.  Every round was hand cycle...  after it fed the first time.  Not enough pressure in my Nemo 16" carbine-gas barrel to cycle the 220s unsuppressed.  That chart nailed that one.

I'll be loading up some 150s shortly - they'll still be supersonic.  <thumbsup>

Thanks for the data. Any idea on the size of the gas port hole on the barrel?

I guess the way to go for my non-SBR 300blk is likely going to be 14.5"-16" (14.5"+muzzle device of course) with carbine gas system where the gas port is 0.120" or larger, with 0.125" being the max since that's the gas tube diameter.

Edited by shibiwan

Gotta decide soon I suppose. LOL

Option 1 - $265 (shipping included)

300AAC fluted 16" barrel from HM Defense, carbine gas, 0.120" gas port size, 32 oz

Option 2 -  $250

300AAC lightweight 16" SS barrel from Wilson Combat, carbine gas, ?? gas port size, 29 oz

Option 3 - $190ish (shipping included)

300AAC "multi role" 16" barrel from CMMG, carbine gas, ?? gas port size

Option 4 - $170

300AAC 14.5" barrel from MAS Defense, pistol gas, ?? gas port size

Option 5 - $150

300 AAC 16" barrel from "OST Gear" - unmarked USA-made oem barrel, carbine gas, 0.101" gas port size.

Edited by shibiwan

Seen the Red X in person at the LGS. Being overly familiar with CNC machining work, I found the workmanship to be on the sloppy side. The edges of the flutes were a little sharp and showed some ragged burring. Not sure if it's a badly-made fluke but I wasn't impressed.

Edited by shibiwan

Don't know but I have so many that I let the kids borrow one of my TRS25 red dots to put on his nerf gun. Yes, he got it to fit on the rail somehow. LOL

well, if you ever need some AR parts 308 or 223 and want to trade some of your excess glass off, let me know :D

I almost put a tru-glo red dot on my son's airsoft shotgun but its battery is dead

well, if you ever need some AR parts 308 or 223 and want to trade some of your excess glass off, let me know :D

I almost put a tru-glo red dot on my son's airsoft shotgun but its battery is dead

Thanks. I got a bunch of Bushnell TRS25's (leftover from trading rifles back and forth) that I'd gladly part with, and obviously, I'm collecting bits for my 300 BLK build. PM me and let me know what you got if you have bits lying around or if you're interested in trading. :D

Gotta decide soon I suppose. LOL

Option 1 - $265 (shipping included)

300AAC fluted 16" barrel from HM Defense, carbine gas, 0.120" gas port size, 32 oz

Option 2 -  $250

300AAC lightweight 16" SS barrel from Wilson Combat, carbine gas, ?? gas port size, 29 oz

Option 3 - $190ish (shipping included)

300AAC "multi role" 16" barrel from CMMG, carbine gas, ?? gas port size

Option 4 - $170

300AAC 14.5" barrel from MAS Defense, pistol gas, ?? gas port size

Option 5 - $150

300 AAC 16" barrel from "OST Gear" - unmarked USA-made oem barrel, carbine gas, 0.101" gas port size.

I have option #2 barrel & I like it. I see only one Pistol gas system , isn't that what your looking for . After reading 98's post , seems to be the way to go for a "Can" . Never heard of MAS Defense Barrels .

The 150 gr. Speer 's I have loaded for the 300 BLK , shoot very good .

I have option #2 barrel & I like it. I see only one Pistol gas system , isn't that what your looking for . After reading 98's post , seems to be the way to go for a "Can" . Never heard of MAS Defense Barrels .

It's difficult to find 16" with pistol gas... haven't had luck finding any. Maybe I should just suck it up and go with the de-facto standard.

Edited by shibiwan

I kinda had a feeling that would be a good loading to work with.  Especially when browsing available projos.  I honestly looked at what was available for a couple weeks, thinking "NOTHING here that I can use for the BLK, Damnit!!!"  Last time over there, they still had boxes upon boxes of the Barnes 110 black tip, AND the PMW Arms 220 subs.  Slow though I may be, that light finally went on - and I went back and looked at all the 150s sitting there.

I'll start on that rather quickly, probably have some loaded up this coming weekend. 

Tom will be the best when he shows us his newly acquired something in .338 lapua.

Something like this, Matt?  This is a nice pic of the rifle I want.  Well, except for ONE THING...

I would NEVER put an Atlas on this thing, though... 

barrett_mrad.jpg

Barrett-MRAD.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Sweet, brother! 

You're gonna beat me - who will be beating Jon!!!  <lmao>

He's WAY behind the power curve here...  :banana:

Hmm... we should do a comparo between the 14.5"/pistol vs the 14.5"/carbine barrels. Great excuse for yet another shootout in the desert like what we did to the phone in Jan.