• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Enjoying the new caliber

Sharkey

I was looking for a new rifle for my wife that would still pack a punch but light enough for her to really be able to enjoy shooting and decided on an Armalite M15 in 7.62x39.

Following after market parts installed:

Armalite adjustable stock

Hogue Grip

Midwest Industries drop in railed handguards

SuperComp Talon Brake in .308

Nikon 3x9-44 mil dot scope

Fab Magwell grip

Streamlight with a pressure switch (I love these lights)

Single point sling (one I had hanging around)

post-14569-0-50634100-1392769278_thumb.j

It started out a little temper mental but after taking the dremel to the front edge of the mags, it has come together VERY well and is now a definite force at the range.  My wife was hitting solid 2 inch groups for a 25 round mag fired within about 2 minutes at 75 yards and is thrilled with the performance at this point as am I.

My problem is, this is a SERIOUSLY fun caliber so now I'm thinking about the RRA LAR-47 for myself.  I can't go getting the EXACT same thing as my wife for gosh sakes, I mean, people would talk...  Like wearing matching ski suits or something...

Anyway, I'm definitely on the market (as soon as I figure out where to get the money from) for a new toy and the LAR-47 is an early front runner.

Not in production yet but I like the design and some early reviews have seemed quite positive.

Anyone got any ARs in this caliber?  I'm looking at everything again. 

Edited by Sharkey

I'm actually surprised at the accuracy.  I figured it for "OK" before I bought it but the darn thing hit what you aim at man...

Here's one of my wife's targets at 75.  I don't think a mag even lasts her 2 minutes so she was in there for sure.  I'm pretty sure there were 20 rounds in that mag so there are some repeat holes in there.

Needless to say, I like my wife to stay "happy"...

:))

post-14569-0-53716900-1392847643_thumb.j

She likes shooting from the bench but no bags or anything.  She elbows everything and kicks ass all day.  I taught her how to shoot handguns using a 14 inch barrel Ruger 22 by throwing golf balls on the ground and having her shoot em.  She said "what do I do when I hit it?  It's gonna move."  And "that's where the challenge comes in Honey"...

She got good fast and there been no stopping her since.  I'm just glad we have a great relationship...lol

lol  I always thought it was a 14 but it's not currently "on-hand" so pics aren't readily available.  I bought it on the cheap when we first got together just to get her started and then put it away when she moved up.  

If I'm wrong on the length, my mistake and my apologies. I'm pretty sure it's the MKII though and probably a 10 incher but with the heavy barrel.  I don't own any custom stuff so that's all it could be.

I had just grabbed it as a beater and for her to learn on so I never did pay much attention to the stats as long as it shot straight.  I've never been big on those guru details like some of you smarter types...

Edited by Sharkey

• 4 weeks later...

It was cold today for my wife but I felt like shooting.  Took her rifle out to 200 and that thing is SWEET.   I can't really give a good estimate of a grouping since I was having so much fun with it.  I went wild on a couple O targets with pretty fast fire but at 200 yards, they were all on the 8 inch target with probably a dozen in the 2 inch area with a few of them either in or touching the 1 inch red and I was hitting 2 5x8 mini gongs (hung on each side of the 12 foot target stand) at will going back and forth so I cannot complain at all about this rifle.

Can't wait till it warms up more so she can go and work on her accuracy at 200.  She's gonna LOVE shooting this thing at any distance...

I still have ONE mag that needs a little more filing in the front but I'll take care of that this week and all her mags will be golden as will the action of this rifle.