• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Threadless Compression Muzzle Attachments

imschur

One of the things that makes it to many AW feature lists is a threaded barrel. For some time I have had an idea for muzzle attachments that could attach to a barrel without the need for threads. Im not talking ugly split shaft collars either. Has anyone seen such a device? Think 5c collets,jacobs chucks or Fenner Trans Transtorque keyless bushings to get an idea of what Im thinking in a simplified form. My idea is nicer and cleaner though. Thoughts?

There is no doubt your idea would look very nice, and would be a drastic improvement over available offerings. But to produce a device like this would be more costly than a threaded unit.  I think that most people who are investing as much money as they do in some of these rifles want the cleaner look of having there muzzle device blended in with the existing barrel contour.  A suppressor on the other hand is a whole other thing 

Edited by Toolndie7

• 11 months later...

I don't live in a state with those laws so I'm ignorant, but would pinning and welding a QD mount satisfy it?

The biggest problem I'd see with that type mount would be barrels with bores not concentric to the outside. I've seen some quality barrels with significant runout, but I'd think most AR barrels would be turned between centers after being cut to length. That would minimize runout.

• 2 months later...

I think the issue with a collet style attachment would be it would just about have to be specific to a certain barrel size.    The appeal of threads is I have 10 rifles that have various barrel profiles and sizes and they all have a 1/2 x 28 TPI connector for a muzzle device.   Its full proof and

There are folks already doing threadless suppressor mounting.   I just bought a SilencerCo Saker 7.62 with the MAAD mount   (its still in ATF jail,  I have not got to actually play with it yet)     It uses a conical taper to center the can on the mount with a really slick ratchet.

A custom-profiled barrel would be the ticket - and there are places for a barrel like that.  Imagine a 5.56 barrel that was machine to include the dimensions of a regular barrel and A2 muzzle device on it - but just barrel, stepping up in diameter at the end, with the A2 grooves in the right place...

Solid barrel, no threads, no "ports" in the end.  Slap a Gemtech HALO right on the end of it.  <thumbsup>