• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Geissele Super Gas Block

98Z5V

Saw this little gem last month, but recently noticed that is available now at DSG.  Not much info out there about it yet, even on the Geissele website:

http://geissele.com/super-gas-block.html

It's precision investment cast from 17-4 precipitation hardening stainless steel, which combines superior corrosion resistance with high strength.  It is designed to fit under most full length free floating rails, such as the Geissele Super Modular Rail.  The bore of the SGB is machined to closely fit around 0.750" diameter mounting bosses found on most M4 carbines, AR-15s and AR-10 type rifles.  There are two possible mounting solutions that can be used for fastening the SGB to the rifle barrel. 

You can get it in the silver stainless version, and you can get it nitrided, also.  What's unique about it is:  it's a set-screw type, but you can pin it to your barrel at home.  No special jigs, no special drill bits - just a 3/16" drill bit and a hand drill.  Geissele includes the coil pin to pin it.

This will be used on Dawn Marie's 300 BLK build.

GeisseleSuperGasBlock1_zps30e80a1a.jpg

GeisseleSuperGasBlock2_zps0c3579b0.jpg

GeisseleSuperGasBlock3_zpse1547e11.jpg

GeisseleSuperGasBlock4_zpsdb9ee85f.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

• 6 months later...

PINNED!

Okay, where do we start here?... 

Been shooting this rifle for awhile, built it and blasted it, ripped it down for paint, rebuilt it and blasted it...  and got back to finishing the gas block tonight.

Get your rifle ready to pin.  You'll be drilling a barrel.  All I had to do on this one was get the FFHG off.

P1010629_zpsdae75591.jpg

Here's what we need to work on - the Geissele Super Gas Block has the pilot hole ready for you - you just gotta drill that thing out with a 3/16" drill bit, and cut that barrel straight through.

P1010630_zpsa7747d2c.jpg

Gawd Dayum, this thing is SEXY!!!   :banana: :yup:

P1010631_zps9873b07a.jpg

Geissele instructions:

P1010632_zps00b95a33.jpg

P1010633_zps602da2c2.jpg

One interesting thing they say - you cannot do this with a handheld drill - gotta use a drill press or something similar, but a handheld drill isn't gonna work.

P1010639_zps443976df.jpg

We're about to test that theory, right now...  :eek:

P1010642_zpse61c44fb.jpg

DONE!!!  The key is to go slow, use lube, and just work your way all the way through.  Baby steps.

P1010641_zps650864ad.jpg

All we have left is to beat the piss out of the coil pin and call it done...

P1010643_zps48703ffc.jpg

This right here is the easiest pinned gas block I've ever done.  I will never use anything else on other rifles that are 16" barrels.  Pinned 14.5 barrels are another story.  This gasblock is the goods.  <thumbsup>

P1010645_zps9becd4f0.jpg

Can you use a roll pin starter on a coil pin? I assume pliers of some sort were required.

No pliers at all - just went with the roll pin punch of the appropriate size.  The coil pin is tapered somewhat on the ends, and the pilot hole on the gasblock, even after drilling, has a little taper - it went in easy.  Roll pin punch, smack it with a hammer, done.

Dirk, I'll do another one with the drill - :banana:  - I just need another build first. Short 300BLK is probably the next one on the build list, so I'll put this gasblock on that one when the time comes.  It wasn't that bad, really.  <thumbsup>

• 8 months later...

He got lucky...I wanna see another one with a handheld drill.

BAM!!!  THAT $HIT JUST HAPPENED!!!   :banana:

#2 Complete.  Hand Drill and all.  I choose DeWalt, and some BADASS drill bits...  :))

Too bad the Ghost Gun is outta my life, and the bitch is gone now - but I'm WAY for the better, after her free-loading a$s.  WAY better for it!!!    <hump>

At any rate, it's a two-fer now.  We could call it a BOFUS.  Send any two of your guys over to drill some Geissele Super Gas Blocks with a hand drill, and "it'll take BOFUS to do what Tom can do!!!..."  :fawkdance:   Yeah, I nailed that $hit.  <laughs>

Proving the impossible, possible...

post-7-0-18403700-1431672906_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-47505900-1431672910_thumb.jpg