• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS build buffer tube/stock assy.

shovel1966

Hi.  I'm new to this forum have found a lot of good info here.  Thanks.  I am building a DPMS pattern lower from 80%.  I got the lower completed and installed the DPMS LPK.  It all came out perfectly.  

I think I brain farted though.  I have plenty of mil-spec sized buffer tube and stock kits for AR-15s.  Would I be able to use any of these parts (tube, spring, buffer)  or will I have to get a kit dedicated for the stouter .308 round.  I also thought the longer pull on the charge handle may affect the buffer tube length.  

Thanks for any and all info.

shovel

Make sure you get the correct length buffer and buffer spring. The 308 buffers are about 3/4" shorter than their  AR15 counterparts. 308 Carbine Buffers are about 1.5" long. Don't forget to get the right spring too.

P.S. Welcome from AZ!

I installed the ctr magpul kit on my 308. I have only test fired it with two single rounds manually chambered. It shot fine but will I have issues when fed in semi-auto?

Most receiver extensions be them Carbine or rifle length , will work on both type rifles,  308AR or AR 15's & there attaching components , its the springs & buffers that are specific to Caliber /stock type .  Of course you can go further & say some are brand specific & may cause problems if not used with there components. 

Are you confused yet ? I think some of the manufacturers want it that way .

I just introduced myself in the "Introductions" thread. Yes, I do have a 1966 Electra-Glide that I get to enjoy when there isn't 8" of snow on the ground and freezing temperatures here in Rhode Island.

I just ordered a .308 buffer tube kit from Brownells. I could have just gotten a spring and buffer, but it isn't that much more $ to get the entire kit. Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up making an order from Brownells and got an entire .308 kit with tube, spring and buffer just to be safe.  Finished the build and it is pretty nice.  Haven't sighted in the Nikon M308 yet because of weather, but hope to do soon.  Thanks for all of your help.