• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thinking of selling my AR-10 Super SASS

Zebra644

Tom, Ron care to chime in?.

My comments were leaning one way - and you were leaning another...  <lmao>

When I first read this thread - when you started it - there's only one thing that went through my mind...  He's got a perfectly good rifle (a great rifle!) that fills a role.

Now, he needs to fill another role...

Simple - build another upper.  In my mind, there's no way I'd cut down a Super SASS barrel, or change the Armalite upper configuration.  That is a great barrel, and a great upper.  I'd pick up another barrel, of the proper length (for it's new job).  Grab a stripped upper, new BCG - keep a new bolt mated to the new barrel...

Hell, before you know it, you have two capabilities in one rifle - two uppers that do two completely different jobs.  One lower in the safe.  You can easily transport the second upper with you, where ever you are, even cut foam in a special hard case for it.  Two capabilities with you, easily, if you're driving to a location.  Switch uppers, change roles.

Now, in practice, that always sounds good.  What happens in reality is a different story...  You build the second upper, realize that it's SILLY to have an upper sitting in your safe that can only be used if you take another one off, and you build a dedicated LOWER for that "spare upper..."  <lmao>

I see your dilemna, brother - been there.  From the start of the thread, you were going to sell this whole rifle off and get a new rifle, to change capabilities.  My recommendation was going to be WAY different, so I just shut up...  <laughs>   For now, I'd build another complete upper.  As time goes on, I'd let that turn into a complete rifle. 

My $0.02.  <thumbsup>

Yeah your right, I was really looking at a SCAR and the Sig 716. But when I thought I had myself talked into it, I just couldn't do it, but at least all the advise has not fallen on def ears. I am not gonna touch the barrel on this, I may move to a carbine type buffer tube and stock, but I have it lighter than it was and in the future I may just build another upper for work and keep the SASS upper for what it was intended. I'm a big guy and can carry it around from the trunk to the FFP and having been subject to adrenaline before I know that heavy rifle isn't so heavy when you need it . Any CQB work is done with my Spikes and she is tight and right as the Count says. 

Have you guys seen the new Midwest Industries Key Mod rail for the .308 platform? They offer both Armalite and DPMS Patterns, switching from the current quad rail and large locking ring on the barrel nut could reduce some weight and save a good barrel. This time if I switch out rails, its getting torqued down right the first time. 

Like I mentioned before, you can get a separate upper and sell or keep the Super SASS upper. It would be a waste to sell it though. It is a beautiful finely built piece of equipment, especially if the SHTF and you need a sniper grade rifle. Sounds like you have a plan.

I have the UBR installed tonight, just got to get the propper buffer and spring for it. I also got the ADM Scout mount,and PST 1-4 and AFG. Now I am waiting on magpul grip wedge and noveske ambi safety, in the mail and to figure what set of sights to throw on it, possibly switch out the Troy's on my Spike's and maybe switch to some  Magpul's not sure on polymer sights.

Edited by Zebra644

MagPul's polymer sights are some of the toughest out there, brother, seriously.  There's a link to a sight "shootout" somewhere here, the the MBUS sights whipped everything else out there.

Also, they're making the new Pro sights - all metal.  <thumbsup>

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG276/44

Okay I got the Slash heavy buffer in, now just to decide on BUIS for the PST, I'm thinking of taking the Troy flips from my Spikes and putting them on this and running the MBUS on the Spikes. The proper Magpul Miad grip for the .308 and the Odin extended mag release, then the QD sling swivile for the T.I.S. Sling I'm running. I just have a thread protector on right now and I may or may not throw a mount for a can or a brake, and maybe change out to a lighter rail system like the Apex or Mid West Industries Keymod. I'll post the before and after pics up soon.

Edited by Zebra644

I'm an idiot...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-sets/ar-15-m16-xti-xpress-threat-interdiction-sights-prod54678.aspx

I'll run them short, putting them both on the handguard. Then I can run a 12 o'clock tac light over the front sight, without interference.

Edited by Robocop1051

• 8 months later...

Okay so I converted the AR-10 to a Battle Rifle. Do not do this, its like putting a engine limiter on a Ferrari. I did how ever prove the point I set out to do and converted it back t0 a SASS. The Night Force scope went to a good home and I like the Steiner Military 3-12X50 FFP MIL/ MIL Zero Stop Illuminated ret, much better. Oh well know I know what it requires to successfully covert a .308 rifle to a battle rifle lol. Experience is priceless and even though I will never put cammies and a raid vest back on after my last orthopedic issue, It wont stop me from enjoying shooting and developing a skill set. Besides we have plenty of coyotes in my area in need of reduction. I know I was active on the form, but warm weather is Harley weather and I am finishi ng up on my bachelors degree so that has limited alot of my time but always good to come back to a good group. 

Edited by Zebra644

• 2 months later...