• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thinking of selling my AR-10 Super SASS

Zebra644

:-[ As the title says, so heres what's going on. So I have been a L.E.O. for 9 years and counting. Of those 9 years I have about 6 years of SWAT. I have had now 2 orthopedic surgeries and Doc tells me its now a question of how long before a knee replacement, if I keep it up with the long days in the gym and training ect. it will come sooner than I want.  Everytime I have been in line to go to a precision rifle school for work, something always just keeps happening, to keep me from going. Being a God fearing man I can take a hint. So I resigned from SWAT and was hoping my Chief would still allow me to go to a school even as a patrol officer just to have one around and no, can't justify the money and cost for ammo to our admin. / trustees, plus thats what SWAT is for. I have a postive relationship with my Chief and I totally understand how that works, and it is darn expensive more so than I can / am wiling to pay out of pocket.

Okay so now we are implimenting 308s into patrol as a SHTF weapon and not to be used as a house clearing gun,  no CQB with them, thats what the 5.56 is for .The area I serve, has a mixture of everything terrain wise, from woods to a golf course 4 school's a shopping complex, farm land and the burbs.  Most of us carry our own Ar-15 / M-4 varriant and now that I am not using this Super SASS, and dont shoot past 200 yds I was thinking of selling her / trading her in. I am looking into  say a SIG 716 or simular and put on a 3.5 power ACOG on it and keep my Night Force and use a set of ADM Q.D. throws. I could get a dual use outta of this carbine beteen the two optics and my bi-pod and take it to work along witih my  M-4  as to a rifle that is just sitting in my safe and never be used to its fullest potential. I can't justify spending more money to just buy one and keep the SASS, when I have something of no practical use to me that I can off load to obtain something that can. 

What do you think? Also what is a fair price for this? Armalite Super SASS 7.62 / 308 with 300 rnds down range and the barrel properly broken in as per Armalite, a 2 stage SSA trigger, KAC winter trigger guard, MDT direct fit recoil pad, ERGO palm shelf grip, AAdland 1 peice mount with buble level, and a custom fit pelican case, one 10 rnd mag and three 20 rnd mags. I also have all the original parts, the case, and manuals, and the warranty card is still  blank. By the way not a scratch, ding or scrape on her. 

Edited by Zebra644

My suggestion is first to check out Armalite's current pricing for new ones, which are almost always out of stock. Hit Gunbroker and the other sites to see what they are asking. Then decide how fast you want to sell it versus getting the highest possible price. Adjust the price down by 10% if you are in a hurry to sell.

Consider an AR10 Carbine as well. You can use the same mags. And it is still incredibly accurate. The Sig would probably be a better choice if you are going to go suppressed.

Also, you might consider getting an AR10 T carbine upper, which were on sale for a really good price, and selling the Super SASS upper on line separately.

Edited by Sisco

308's on patrol , interesting . What was there reasoning to let 308's , in on patrol ? I know why I like it ,but why would the forces that be , have reason , to allow it ?

I would also think about a Carbine complete upper . If you have a full rifle stock on the rifle now , changing it to a good retractible stock will not take any thing away from the rifle with using the long range upper . You won't need to sell & get a multi mission rifle .

Unless you are just set on getting a new rifle . <dontknow>

308's on patrol , interesting . What was there reasoning to let 308's , in on patrol ?

Is this frowned upon in most large departments?

With the exception of Tucson PD, all the other departments have been able to carry what they want…so long as the officer can qualify with it.  While most are gravitating towards the AR platforms now, in the past there has been everything from Winnys M94 in .30-30 to the Remington semi-autos in a plethora of calibers.

Is this frowned upon in most large departments?

With the exception of Tucson PD, all the other departments have been able to carry what they want…so long as the officer can qualify with it.  While most are gravitating towards the AR platforms now, in the past there has been everything from Winnys M94 in .30-30 to the Remington semi-autos in a plethora of calibers.

In Ca, we are so congested in urban areas that a .308 has major liability all over it. Some of the F&G and other Wardens carry them for wildlife, but only precision guys carrying them inside city limits. Urban areas need to rely on the fragmentation of the 5.56 round.

That being said, we have a lot of DMR teams popping up on patrol teams. The term "Sniper" is going extinct, along with most SWAT type duties. Individual patrol are "Active Shooter" trained and the practice of "Dynamic Entries" (door kicking) is quickly going out with the Dodo bird. I was trying to pass the .308 as a patrol rifle, using 110gr for standard loads and 168gr for the precision shooting. Too hard to argue against liability.

308's on patrol , interesting . What was there reasoning to let 308's , in on patrol ? I know why I like it ,but why would the forces that be , have reason , to allow it ?

We have 5.56 / 223 for CQB / Entry and house clearing. We have a lot of open area and these are for prerimeter and heavy equipment response operations and another tool in the tool box. The 5.56 / 223 is a good platform but not the end all beat all. 

I would also think about a Carbine complete upper . If you have a full rifle stock on the rifle now , changing it to a good retractible stock will not take any thing away from the rifle with using the long range upper . You won't need to sell & get a multi mission rifle .

Unless you are just set on getting a new rifle . 

I can't see changing out for another Armalite Carbine upper, UBR stock ect. and another red dot, or ACOG that's gonna cost as much as another rifle wont it?

Edited by Zebra644

No , with a MSRP of $ 2132 for the SIG 716 , adding a hand guard , stock to a AR 10 m4, would put you around 1/2 the cost of a new 716 & you would still have the long range complete AR 10 upper.

You were going to get an ACOG or Red dot sight added to the 716 , so it would be added to both set ups .

I can't argue with your choice of a SIG 716  rifle though , but you can not go wrong with an AR 10 ether. 

AR-10 carbine upper, UBR stock and a EOtech 553. You could probably put this all together for around 1500. Less if you're patient and keep your eyes open. An ACOG is gonna add at least another 500 minimum. I think I paid about 13 (I think) for my TA11E, and that was a while ago.

But that way you could keep the SASS upper for whenever you felt like stretching out.

$2132.00 damn brother II can pick them up all day long here for $1600-$1900 all day. As a matter of fact I have the ODG version on hold for $1680.00 you need to come up here if they are charging you that in Florida 

That's MSRP , I haven't seen one for sale here , but I don't get out to all the fun shops around here & couldn't tell you what the sell on the open market.

AR-10 carbine upper, UBR stock and a EOtech 553. You could probably put this all together for around 1500. Less if you're patient and keep your eyes open. An ACOG is gonna add at least another 500 minimum. I think I paid about 13 (I think) for my TA11E, and that was a while ago.

But that way you could keep the SASS upper for whenever you felt like stretching out.

That price for a complete rifle ? I just looked at there web sight , 

AR-10 A4 CARBINE COMPLETE UPPER HALF, BLACK $786.00 E

The ACOG in ether case is going to add a chunk $$ & he plans on adding it to the 716 , so that to me would also bring the price of the 716 up a bunch, probably well above the MSRP of a 716, so to me just getting another upper & upgraded hand guard , would be a big price difference .

I think he just wants a new SIG 716 , he's not kidding anyone . <thumbsup>  

The ACOG in ether case is going to add a chunk $$ & he plans on adding it to the 716 , so that to me would also bring the price of the 716 up a bunch, probably well above the MSRP of a 716, so to me just getting another upper & upgraded hand guard , would be a big price difference .

I think he just wants a new SIG 716 , he's not kidding anyone . <thumbsup>  

Okay ::) you got me. I dont reload and the only range I can shoot at is 100 yds max. Now that I cant get time at the County range 400yds. no longer being a trigger monkey. A 16 inch CHF barrel properly broke in with good rounds  i.e 168 FGMM in a 1:10 twist will be just fine. I have 1 range close by that I can ring steele out to 400 yds but not at paper for a group its a wierd set up. So my LGS is looking to trade me out my safe queen gently used SASS for the SIG 716 and a Vortex PST 1-4 with mount and some gift cards that I can buy more stuff with. I compared the ACOG, a Trijicon 1-4, a Luey 2-10, the Burris 1-4 and the Vortex PST 1-4 on the Sig 716.

The ACOG and Luey is not as forgiving on eye relief as the others. I may have to deploy the rifle at night and I don't know how the Trijicon 1-4 would work with no light, and I am not willing to bet my life or anothers on a, "  it should work " senario. The Burris has two issues, first when you rotate the power ring the whole eye piece moves and flip cap get to be a PAIN which is the only gripe about my NF, and second the on / off switch, it could use some work. The Vortex PST gave the best eye relief and the glass was as clear as the Burris also Phillipine glass or was, and the Luey. The Trijicon uses German glass if I remember correctly, was the clearest of them all. The PST will set me back 4 and some change and I am familiar with Vortex optics and know they stand by thier stuff period. The power ring rotates seprately from the rest of the eyepiece, the controls for the reticle are simple and placed out of the way to see the turrents if one needs to dial up or down. The turrents themselves under the caps are metal with rubber O-rings and come with brass shims to set a makeshift zero stop. Once the scope has been zero'd you can reset the turrents to show zero. So providing I go through with this I will keep my 3.5-15 NF and set both in ADM or Brobo QD mounts as I know they hold zero. I will eventually upgrade to an Atlas bi-pod with the QD rail so I have the best of both worlds if I choose to go through with this. 

Edited by Zebra644

I still wouldn't get rid of the SASS Corey. That is....unless you REALLY want the Sig. You can always build another Armalite upper (carbine length) cheaper than buying a whole other complete rifle.

250 (approximately) for the upper.

250 for the BCG

anywhere between 3 and 500 for the barrel (you can even go Noveske......I love their barrels)

a couple hundred for a decent handguard/rail

and you're in for less than a complete rifle. AND.....it's still an Armalite (yeah, yeah....I know what the rest of you are saying. F@#k OFF!)

But then, you have two different uppers (tools) for two totally different situations (engagements).

You'd be surprised about just how many of those SASS rifles are out there. Look around at the rifle range's. How many do you see?

Edited by Rsquared

Yeah I'm pretty conflicted still, I may just keep her and try to lighten her up by making changes like changing out stocks . I am not sure if I would change out buffers and buffer tubes to a carbine stock or just put on a Magpul fixed stock or UBR since this is not a CQB weapon. Then change out grips from the ERGO palm swell to Magpul, dump the Harris bi-pod, later get a qd mount for it, put on a angled for grip and change out and possibly sell the Aadland 1 piece for a Larue QD system and save up for a second so I can run both my 1-4 and my NF 3-15. Oh yeah and I'll have to change out triggers from the SSA to a the NM becuase of it being a duty rifle and add some flip BUS.

The SASS weights 11.84 lbs and the Sig is 9.3 lbs so I think by dumping the PRS, the bi-pod and 1 piece scope mount I should be pretty close to the Sig and it not be so nose heavy. I just feel like I am taking a Corvette and turning it into a dragster by modding it, but it is a multi-purpose rifle by switching it up like this.One questionI have is if I change to a UBR I have read on Magpul's website that I would have to change out buffers, so I assume that means I would have to run a carbine lenght buffer? Thanks by the way for all the input and assistance.

Edited by Zebra644

It can be both a Corvette and a dragster, like this little puppy.

Seriously, as nice as it is to have a full gun safe, if you have one rig that can pull double duty, it leaves room and money for other things. Maybe like Corvettes!

Edited by Sisco

Okay I stripped the SASS BARE and added a FDE AFG, the 14 oz. fixed FDE Mag Pul Stock & grip I got her to 9lbs. I may or may not have the barrel fluted and or cut to a 16 incher, will 4 incehs off of the barrel make a difference? Tom, Ron care to chime in?. I am playing with the idea of a Specwar flash hider and towards the end of the year getting a can for it.  I have an ADM QD on the way and just picked up a Voretx PST 1-4. Since I'm keeping her, I yanked my SSA and put the stock NM trigger back in, and am putting a RRA NM in my spikes so they shoot the same(ish). I just couldn't bare to part with her, I also sold some of my long range gear also to cover the cost of the conversion.

Edited by Zebra644