Shoot/ No Shoot

greenmist

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good read on the current ROE in A-Stan:

http://rt.com/usa/battlefield-deaths-rules-engagement-change-862/

In that article, there is mention of CPT Will Swenson - research that guy.  The ROE was so fucked up that he got out of the Army after that battle.  He was very vocal about the fight, and the lack of support.  His CMOH paperwork was "lost" after that.  He said Eff it and walked.  Got out. FTA - Fuk The Army.

He did get his Medal of Honor.  Ultimately.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131016/NEWS05/310160032/Army-promises-changes-after-botching-Swenson-s-MoH-nomination

It's guys like Swenson who should run for office.

• 8 months later...

Good update, but...  I cannot help to wonder how much of this "decision to charge" is politically motivated.

Perhaps.  Circumventing the GJ makes me think it is.  The two knives are going to be a problem for them in GJ and at a trial, especially given the proximity to one of the officers as well as the police dog.  This will be interesting for sure.    

Perhaps.  Circumventing the GJ makes me think it is.  The two knives are going to be a problem for them in GJ and at a trial, especially given the proximity to one of the officers as well as the police dog.  This will be interesting for sure.  

^^^  Exactly.  Makes me wonder about the bypass on GJ.  This comment in the article troubles me, and makes me think it's the root of this decision to not GJ this case:

Even before Boyd's death, the U.S. Justice Department was investigating the use of force by Albuquerque police. The department recently signed an agreement to make changes after the government issued a harsh report. The agreement requires police to provide better training for officers and to dismantle troubled units.

Someone higher up wants a conviction - even if there might not have been a conviction, when following the proper legal steps...

"Someone higher up" would be the DOJ, and Holder, directly.

I say try it as it is, with the proper legal protocol for such an action.  See where it falls.  Seems that some don't want that.  They're not interested in the proper process - just results. 

That's some scary $hit, right there.

Edited by 98Z5V

From the yahoo article:

"Brandenburg has been criticized for her office's decades-old practice of using grand juries to affirm prosecutors' decisions that no probable cause existed to charge officers in shootings.

Under a revamped system, county prosecutors now decide whether there's probable cause that a crime was committed and either take the case to a grand jury or opt to file a "criminal information" charge on their own."

Looks kinda like Brandenburg is in between a rock and a hard place.

Corruption accusations aside. 

if a civilian causes the escalation that forces them to defend themselves with deadly force, they can be held accountable. that's where this is going to be interesting. as I said a page or so ago, once the knives came out it was game over. the question will be did it need to get to that point. I havnt seen it, but people keep referencing a video that shows one of the cops involved saying something like "I'm gonna shoot that bum in the Dick with my shotgun". if that's legit, it might do some damage. either way, popcorn is on standby.