• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Conviction Rates of Texas CHL holders

BLKSHEEP

I didn't find it, but what is the percentage of CHL for the total population? This would be necessary to give a feel for what it should be. It's still impressive that there seem to be a lot less crime, but if CHL only makes up a small percent of total pop that would make sense. I would bet the overall it's lower. It would be nicer to see the stats compared percent of total pop and percent of CHL I you get what I mean.

Maybe I'm misreading something but on page 3 of the 2012 data there are 22 convictions for unlawful carry by licensed handgun carriers, what gives?

It does look strange to have a non-CHL holder to be convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon by a CHL holder.  By definition, that should be impossible.

Maybe I'm misreading something but on page 3 of the 2012 data there are 22 convictions for unlawful carry by licensed handgun carriers, what gives?

Texas has (or had) no "open carry" provisions.  If you had a CCW permit, your pistol was to REMAIN concealed at all times.

It is one of the warnings we give to people in our CCW classes.  Last time I was over there in Texas, they were hard at work to make open carry legal.

In Florida, unintentional momentary display of your lawfully carried concealed weapon is no longer a violation of your permit.

That's the way it should be.  In the past, there were stories of people in those situations that were being charged with "brandishing."  Which is bull$hit.

With regards to the original topic, I have argued with these exact statistics on an eye doc forum I visit.  The stats are usually either minimized in importance or flat out ignored in the conversation since there is little valid response to what is in the data if you are against people legally carrying guns in public.

That's the way it should be.  In the past, there were stories of people in those situations that were being charged with "brandishing."  Which is bull$hit.

Why they passed "constitutional carry" here in Arizona, thank a few cops up in your area.

Someone would get into an altercation, draw a pistol, bad guys run and good guy calls cops.  Cops ask "What happened?"  Guy says "A punk with a knife demanded my wallet, so I pulled out my gun, kid ran off."

"So you brandished your pistol?"

Tucson is why they passed "State pre-emption".

Got to work hard to stop those Cali-immigrants crossing the river.  :bat: