• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 Scope Review

Just got the Bushnell Tact. Elite 1-6.5x24 scope in the mail today. Found it on ebay for $755 shipped from sportsmanssupply2. I picked model ET1624SJ. It is second focal plane with there BTR-2 mil dot reticle. here is a link to the Bushnell page;

www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scop...lluminated-btr-1-sfp

The mount is still on the way so I'll start with some pics and my first impressions.

post-12531-0-57074500-1398768936_thumb.j

post-12531-0-66861200-1398768983_thumb.j

post-12531-0-91522300-1398769024_thumb.j

post-12531-0-37268700-1398769057_thumb.j

post-12531-0-26576600-1398769102_thumb.j

I couldn't seem to get a decent picture of the reticle but it is crisper than the eotech's I've used and really doesn't look as busy as I expected from the picture on the website. The zoom dial has some pretty good traction with several knobs around it and it turns nice and smooth but firm. The illumination has a nice wide range of adjustments with two being for night vision use. It is as clear and as good at gathering light as any scope I've used but then I've never looked through the real top tier optics. I really don't feel I need any better in this regard. The turret covers thread on and off easy and have a nice heavy feel to them.
Some questionable things I've noticed is one, a lack of information in the manual. There are 14 pages in English and they apply to the entire Elite tactical line so only a few pages are of any real use. They have some more detailed info on the website but for the money a guy shouldn't have to squint at a tiny manual or run the printer. I'm a little concerned about the adjustable zero set on the turrets. When in the down or adjustment position they are firm with nice crisp, definite clicks. When you pull them up to set the turret back to zero the knob feels real flimsy. It may be stronger than it feels but I wont mess around much without the turret covers on. The last of the cons I see right now is the Made in Japan mark, I would have preferred a USA mark but at least it isn't made in a $1 an hour country.
With the lifetime warranty I guess I shouldn't worry much but I hate sending things in for work and I know from experience that Bushnell charges a $10 shipping fee for warranty work.
I'll post a few more pictures and comments when I get it mounted and have some groups to show.
Can't wait to get a zero on it and see what I can do

No love this weekend   :angry:  The Armalite 30mm high mount will not work. I tried to set it up tonight and realized I had two issues, lack of eye relief and the "high" mount is not high enough to clear the back up rear iron even when it is folded down. Looks like I'm going to have to spring for the LaRue or the ADM mounts that put the scope further forward. it might still work on my AR-10 but I was hoping I could use it on both the 10 and the PM400.
 Should have waited for the scope to arrive before buying the mount  :rant2:
I guess I have an excuse to buy another 30mm scope, and then I'll need a rifle for it......

Should have waited for the scope to arrive before buying the mount 

I guess I have an excuse to buy another 30mm scope, and then I'll need a rifle for it......

I keep telling myself I'm gonna sell all my extra parts on eBay and then I keep thinking, I could have a use for them. Which means I still have them and they aren't being used...

Do you guys count as group therapy for this addiction?

I ended up with a Primary Arms extended mount, 150 rounds this morning and it worked fine. I did get a somewhat better picture of the reticle;

post-12531-0-13232600-1399841384_thumb.j

post-12531-0-21352200-1399841415_thumb.j

It put together some decent groups but the real test will come when I get home next week and practice shooting at tires rolling down the hill. Then I'll know how well the reticle works for fast, accurate target acquisition. It worked fairly well for a rapid series of shots on a 12-14 inch painted on steel target at 200 yards;

post-12531-0-92113000-1399841715_thumb.j

10 rounds as fast as I could get the sight back on target, no bags just an Atlas bipod. A thousand or so more rounds and I'll be sold!

• 1 year later...

Loving it, it is well past a thousand rounds now! I will be getting the same scope with the 5.56 BDC reticle and putting this one on my Matrix build. I've run it on most all my rifles and not had any issues. Last June it took a good blow in a car wreck, a pickup turned in front of me. I T-boned him at about 35, the scope and rifle came over the back seat, hit the dash and ended up in the front seat next to me, not a mark on it and no adjustments needed on the zero. I've shot it in the rain,in the snow, at 100F, and at -7F without issue. Some day I hope to take advantage of the NV settings.

Edited by jtallen83

Even better. Honestly I'd rather second. Reviews say the FFP reticle gets tiny at 1x. I would have grabbed it either way. Just dope it for 1x and 6x and GTG. I cant afford it, but I don't think they will last long and I won't get another shot at an optic that nice. Time to sell some more stuff lol

Edit..yup, SFP. Google was erasing the "S" from the model number when I was searching. Good catch J

Edited by blue109

• 4 weeks later...

Any info on the BTR1 reference lines in terms of MOA? Bushnell lists the center dot as a 100yd zero, then 300, 400, 500, 600yd lines. Says calibrated for 55/62gr ammo. Doesn't specify barrel length. I found a source online that said the lines are 4.5, 8, 12, and 16.5 MOA. those two figures don't really jive very well unless I'm looking at the standard drop charts wrong. Think they are "close enough" that those MOA figures might be right?

Edited by blue109

post-12531-0-41328000-1439413564_thumb.j

Using this chart I get 3.3 MOA at 300yds, 5.94 MOA at 400yds, 9.57MOA at 500yds,and 14.19 MOA at 600 yds. This is figured at 3,000fps so the barrel length would be just over 16 inches according to velocity charts for M855 I've looked at.

Do you have the online instructions for this reticle?

http://bushnell.com/getmedia/fd0ba3d0-78ca-4acf-82ce-8760bdb31374/EliteTacticalScopes_IlluminatedReticles_1LIM_web.pdf?ext=.pdf

I would think the information given for the FFP version would still hold true with the SFP on 6.5x so that should help some.

"The “T’s” are used as a bracketing system to best fit a 12”x18” target. When acquiring your target, find the best fit bracket and send your shot. With the reticle in the first focal plane your shot can be taken at any magnification range."

It would be nice if Bushnell could be more precise on this topic. I'm going to email the question to a CS guy I've dealt with there and see if he can get me anything. I'll be sure to remind him of all the coin I've dropped on their products these last few years.......they should help me out!

• 2 months later...

I downloaded a ballistic app called strelok pro. I had the free version but Amazon gave me an app credit so I upgraded to the $12 PRO version. This one has the BTR1 reticle built in, as well as every other reticle I own including standard eotech circle. Playing around with numbers moves your POI around a picture of your reticle. Soon as I get some me time I'll input some load data in and see what I come up with. Let's you save a bunch of different rifles, and several ammo types for each. Cool little app.

Just found it has tons of factory cartridge data loaded in there, and bullet data. Pretty cool.

Clicking in FGGM 168g and pencil whipping the other settings with a 100yd  zero, the phone says the BDC hashes should be 318, 413, 514, and 618 yds.

Edited by blue109

Even better. Honestly I'd rather second. Reviews say the FFP reticle gets tiny at 1x. I would have grabbed it either way. Just dope it for 1x and 6x and GTG. I cant afford it, but I don't think they will last long and I won't get another shot at an optic that nice. Time to sell some more stuff lol

Edit..yup, SFP. Google was erasing the "S" from the model number when I was searching. Good catch J

This other Bushnell scope is a pretty good buy (price $200-$250)

http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

BTR reticle, FFP, illuminated.

It works really well on my 300 AAC, and when zooming in/out, it becomes almost like a red dot sight at 1x, so it's handy for quick target acquisition with both eyes open, and the BDC works well at 4x if you know what the drops are (I too, use Strelok Pro to determine the ranges). Since it's FFP, the drop markings are consistent throughout the zoom range.

Looks like I'll have to get that app for sure. Probably a dumb question but do you have to have cell service for the app to work?

I don't think so. I've used it all over the place with or without data service and it has worked. I actually keep the data in several saved presets so it pulls up quickly.

Edited by shibiwan

Works with data turned off.  This is really neat. Shows you in clicks, mils, and moa how to dial up for whatever range to type in, or you can switch to an image of your reticle and it shows you POI for holdovers. Reticle mode Shows you near and far zero, and then shows you the range at every subtension of your reticle like a custom bdc. You can also see it as a spreadsheet like a little dope chart. I'm enjoying this thing. There is a free version you can download just to play with. Probably missing some of the cool features.