• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1-11:25 twist rate and appropriate grain ammo

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know.

1:11.25 is a fine twist for the .308 Win pushing bullets as heavy as 180 or 190 grs.  I've pushed 200SMKs to 1000 yards in one of my F-TR rifles which has that specific twist. 

The weight of the bullet is not the main determining factor in selecting the twist rate; bullet length is.  Most .308 rifles are 1:12 twist but as mentioned before, there are 1:11.25, 1:11 and 1:10 twists in many 308ARs. 

If your twist is too slow, the bullet will be unstable when it leaves the bore and will start tumbling and you can see this a oblong holes or keyholes on the target, if it even gets there.

If your twist is too fast, the bullet could spontaneously disintegrate 50-70 yards downrange, but while I have seen lots of 6mm bullets undergo the sudden transformation from bullet to white puff cylinder downrange, I have never seen or heard of a regular .30 caliber bullet doing that.

It is generally accepted that spinning a bullet fast can help accuracy, but there are many caveats to that statement.  Let's just say that as long as you use nothing heavier than say 190gr bullets, you will be well served with you 1:11.25 twisted barrel.

That may be a long answer ,there are so many bullet types out there & pretty much weight will have something to do with bullet configuration , not to mention bullet composition. ( like solid copper or what ever  )

The way I look at it , you have to try multiple manufacturers , bullet types & weights , to see what shoots the best , there is no one magic bullet combo that will work in all barrels twist rates.

Edited by survivalshop

If you limit yourself to anything that you can load to mag length in a .308AR, a 1:12 twist will be just fine and a 1:11.25 or 1:11 (my personal favorite for long range) will be even better.  My Ar-10(T) has a 1:10 twist so I'm not worried about loading anything in there.

However, that said, the beauty of the AR platform is that you can single load if you want.  If you ever compete in XTC or NRA HP, you have to single load at anything greater than 300 yards.  The AR platform is amazingly flexible and it will allow you to single load with no problems.  I have a Bobsled for one of my AR-15s (NM) and I also have a Bobsled for my AR-10(T).  If ever I get the urge to try a really long bullet like some of the VLDs that I use for F-TR in my AR-10, I can.  That's flexibility.

Did I mention that I love the AR platform?

Now, in answer to the question which twists work best with which bullets, my thinking is that the question is reverse of what it should be.  What you want to know is which bullets lengths or weights will not work for specific twists.  Then you can experiment with what remains.

So, a 1:10 will not like bullets that are heavier than 230 grains.  (Notice that I don't use length here because nobody sells bullets by lengths.  I invite you to check out JBM's database of bullet lengths.

For a 1:11 or 1:11.25 twist anything much past 200gr will be iffy, but do remember that plastic tips don't count.

For a 1:12 twist, anything heavier than a 175/180gr gets iffy.

You can visit the web site of various bulletmakers to see what their recommendations are.  I usually subtract one more inch from their recommended twists.  So if a site suggest a 1:12 twist for their bullet, I use 1:11.

JBM has a stability calculator, and I would recommend that the minimum stability you want to have is 1.5 for your bullet/twist/velocity combo.

Just so you know.

The weight of the bullet is not the main determining factor in selecting the twist rate; bullet length is.

Thanks for that enlightening tidbit of information, Pegasus.

Please answer this question for me though - if you're constricted to a certain diameter (say .308") then a fucking HEAVIER bullet would be a LONGER bullet, would it not?!  Construction being similar, and not talking about Tungsten here.  A full metal jacket boat tail bullet that's 150gr is SHORTER than a full metal jacket boat tail bullet that is 180gr - in  .308" bullet.

Tell me that's wrong information.

You're another F-Class jackass that has showed up here, and you want to school everybody on what you think you know.  Why don't you shut your mouth for a minute and try to learn something here? 

I can answer why you probably will not do that - you're already smarter than the rest of the class.

If that's the route that you want to take, then just take your ass to the door. 

Edited by 98Z5V

If you are talking about the exact same style and composition for the bullets, then you are correct.  But that's a limited view of what is available and the question was weights and twists; it didn't say anything one specific style.  Survivalshop even mentioned there are many bullet types and weights.

For example, if you compare a Sierra 175MK, arguably one of the best mag-length bullets, with a length of 1.240 inches to a Berger 155 Hybrid, which has a length of 1.280 inches, you can see that the heavier bullet is actually shorter than the lighter bullet and they are both BTHP, jacketed lead core bullets.

You can be quite sure that even though the 155 only weighs 5 grains more than a 150gr FMJ-BT, it will require a faster twist to stabilize.

And please, do not tell me what to do.

If you are talking about the exact same style and composition for the bullets,...

Reading Comprehension kicks your A$S, doesn't it?

I clearly - CLEARLY - stated this in my post, then you responded to it.

Construction being similar, and not talking about Tungsten here.  A full metal jacket boat tail bullet that's 150gr is SHORTER than a full metal jacket boat tail bullet that is 180gr - in  .308" bullet.

• 6 months later...