• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

On 10/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, 98Z5V said:

OD is the same on all of them.  I have a pile of the VG6 stuff - it just works.  Every single 2-port Gamma that I have has a CAGE on it.  Some are 5.56 Gammas (for the 5.8x24 threading).  The CAGE fits every brake that they make. 

I've got one of the CAGE items. Haven't tried it out yet but I'm going to have to. IF it tames the blast that much I'll have to buy more.

I'm running a Gamma 7.62 on all of my .308 ARs. A Gamma 6.5 on the .243 Win and 2 built Grendels with another couple in the parts bin for the next two. About three quarters of my small frame ARs are running the Gamma as well. Those that don't have a KAK comp on them along with the PTR-91 that looked a little better with the KAK than the Gamma.

I've avoided the Epsilon due to the moronic laws here in CA that ban Flash Hiders. I hope they bring back the 6.5/6.8 brakes in the Gamma. If not I guess after I expend the couple I've got on hand I'll either drop a 7.62 or a .300 BLK on them if VG6 keeps making those or I'll be looking for a different brake.

I will note that VG6 does not market the CAGE as compatible with the 7.62 brakes. Any notable wear and tear on it with the .308?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, StarWolf said:

I will note that VG6 does not market the CAGE as compatible with the 7.62 brakes. Any notable wear and tear on it with the .308?

I run the 300 BLK Gamma on the .308s.  It's a 2-port Gamma brake, threaded 5/8x24 (I made a mistake up there earlier when I said something with 5.56 and 5/8x24 threading, in the same sentence - I meant the 300 BLK Gamma).  Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and I think I got one of the last ones in the country, from a place in Florida, a couple weeks ago.  The CAGE Device is discontinued, also.  I haven't found any of those in many months.

That sucks for me, because that's my go-to for muzzle devices, because they work so damn well.

On 2/24/2023 at 6:06 PM, 98Z5V said:

I run the 300 BLK Gamma on the .308s.  It's a 2-port Gamma brake, threaded 5/8x24 (I made a mistake up there earlier when I said something with 5.56 and 5/8x24 threading, in the same sentence - I meant the 300 BLK Gamma).  Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and I think I got one of the last ones in the country, from a place in Florida, a couple weeks ago.  The CAGE Device is discontinued, also.  I haven't found any of those in many months.

That sucks for me, because that's my go-to for muzzle devices, because they work so damn well.

I got one of the 7.62 ones available last year for my next .308 build and they were out for months everywhere after that. Looks like they might be getting new 7.62 production dribbling in.

The GAGE is still listed on their website along with the 300 BLK but both have been out of stock for a while.

The 6.5s have been listed just about everywhere as discontinued.

I really hope it's temporary, maybe a supply chain or minor redesign thing and not a long term no more available thing. Probably wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, StarWolf said:

I really hope it's temporary, maybe a supply chain or minor redesign thing and not a long term no more available thing. Probably wishful thinking.

Alot of the vendors that carry their stuff listed it as "discontinued."  I tried to call VG6 and got nowhere.  I called Aero Precision about it - Aero owns them.  All I got for an answer was "they're working on re-designing  a bunch of stuff" and they couldn't give me an answer on the CAGE device.  That was the reason for my call in the first place, because of how well it works.

Tell you what - the 300BLK Gamma that they (VG6) has listed on their website right now, as of yesterday - that thing is different than all the other 300BLK Gamma muzzle devices that I've ever bought.  The pictures of it are different, the machining is different, and the number of vent ports in the top of it are different - fron previous versions.

They're re-designed it, for sure.  But, will it be better, or worse than before? 

Unknown, until I shoot the new one, side by side, and see.  Or, someone else does, and gets the info up.

New version pics:

This ridge, or cutout, in the was bottom, never here before - not on any of the 300 BLK Gammas I have:

VG6 GAMMA 300BLK

The wrench flats are all the way down the side now - not on past ones:

VG6 GAMMA 300BLK

There are 3 ports missing in it, from the top, in this pic right here.  One top center, and two posts bottom center.  Definitely different than the previous versions...

VG6 GAMMA 300BLK

So, at least the  300 BLK Gamma is coming back.  Unknown on the CAGE Device, and that thing was brilliant.  If you fuk this up VG6, and Aero, then  :bitchslap:

I think the latest 7.62 pictures has the new slot. Those pics were out before I bought my last, final quarter of last year. I assumed it was some sort of potential interface for a suppressor or something.

Not on any of the ones I'd picked up however, including the most recent one.

One of the things I like about these brakes, they have been a good match for the birdcage in diameter. IF you put them on a gun with the A frame in the right spot then you can still snap a pigsticker on the gun. IF you put the CAGE on then no more bayonet. Not an issue with the free float guns without a lug.