• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

3 ounces for a prong? Wtf is it made out of!?!? 

Not sure exactly . Very limited info on it . I’m curious now since you think it’s heavy . It doesn’t strike me as over heavy for a 762 device but ?? Not sure . It’s a very nice piece , everything lmt does is done with excellent materials  ......it’s good size , reminds me of a BE Myers 073DA6A4-DFF5-4717-83BF-1983703289BA.thumb.jpeg.f130f9f8364aa04a2ba67026e71f6873.jpeg

5 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Used a 3 prong in Afghanistan... made a weird ping noise. I liked how it was different. haha

Yeah I’m thinking it will ping as well and I like stuff you don’t see on every othe rifle too . Thanks for your service ! 

12 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Sooooooo tempted to grab that 13.7” AR-10 barrel now. 

That would be sweet , and a nice drill bit ..... real nice mellonite finish and I have a feeling the material is hard as hell on top of that 

Edited by oli700
Sp

22 minutes ago, oli700 said:

That would be sweet , and a nice drill bit ..... real nice mellonite finish and I have a feeling the material is hard as hell on top of that 

I’d screw it on without the crush washer, then hit the 6 o’clock with a small bead weld. Fast and easy. 

40 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I’d screw it on without the crush washer, then hit the 6 o’clock with a small bead weld. Fast and easy. 

Careful with that, I am not an expert but recall researching the topic and found three acceptable methods, pin and weld, high temperature silver solder, and full seam electric or gas welding. Not sure what the ATF definition of full seam is but I would feel more comfortable pinning it.

• 3 months later...

Great loooking flash hider there. I am going the other way and am testing compensators to pin and weld onto a 13.5" barrel for my LM308MWS. I have a fair number of rounds with the PA  M4-72 which is good at recoil reduction but did not hold as flat as I would like. Just got the SJC Titan and will be testing it against the new JP compitition comp. Pin and weld is quite the committment so I want to make sure I am happy with the comp. Also debating getting a new barrel (would get the lightweight profile) vs having my 16" barrel shortened. Will report back after shooting the new comps. 

Rasyad

• 10 months later...

“Hypotheticals further illustrate the weakness of this methodology,” he wrote. “A mouse is not an ‘elephant’ solely because it has three characteristics that are common to known elephants: a tail, gray skin and four legs. A child’s bike is not a ‘motorcycle’ solely because it has three characteristics common to known motorcycles: two rubber tires, handlebars, and a leather seat. And a Bud Light is not ‘Single-Malt Scotch,’ just because it is frequently served in a glass container, contains alcohol, and is available for purchase at a tavern. To close with a firearm-related example a hockey puck us not a ‘rubber bullet,’ just because it has rounded sides, is made of vulcanized rubber, and is capable of causing injury when launched at high speeds. Learning that one object has three characteristics in common with some category may not be very helpful in determining whether the object in question belongs in that category.

I happen to enjoy the Judge's opinion.  3 out of 5 don't mean jack without precise standards.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Shim pak or Jam Nut & I will use a Crush washer if I have to.

^^^  What he said.  I run Precision Armament shims now, on almost everything 1/2x28 and 5/8x24.  I used a badass jam nut on my .260 build that is flawless.  I'll run more of those if I can find them again.  This jam nut comes back and covers part of the barrel...  CLEAN looking install...  :thumbup:

P1060760.JPG

• 2 years later...

OD is the same on all of them.  I have a pile of the VG6 stuff - it just works.  Every single 2-port Gamma that I have has a CAGE on it.  Some are 5.56 Gammas (for the 5.8x24 threading).  The CAGE fits every brake that they make.