Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use to have simple tastes with a standard birdcage but picking a comp is worse than being the fat guy at a buffet.  You just want it all.  Deciding on a new comp for my Seekins AR15 build has been one of the two hardest choices to settle on for it.  I've narrowed it down to the Seekins Precision ATC comp, Rainier Arms Mini Comp, Lantac Dragon, Supercomp Tactical Talon, and Supercomp NT.  The problem is I didn't want to add too much length but might as well also get the benefits of a comp in the first place.  Most of the comps that have grabbed my attention are typically 2.5-3 inches.  The Rainier Mini is interesting because it's short length but good effectiveness.  Apparently it creates quite the little fireball and is loud as it gets.

I bought the Seekins ATC because it has beautiful machining and decent results in tests plus it just fits the look of what I have.  It's kinda the sexy b!tch of my selections.  A bit of a "trophy wife"...expensive and pretty but not necessarily the best out there.  I also like what the Supercomps offer.  Anyone get a lot of time with one yet?  The Seekins ATC is in the mail but I want a second comp and haven't settled yet.

Edited by jrtmasp

I ended up going with the Precision Arms EFAB. It did well on the TTAG review, not the best in every category but similar in performance to the KAC Mams for a whole lot less money.

When I watched the lux video it did really well and the comp portion it was pretty good too. I haven't shot it yet but I'll give a review when I do. Might be a little while since I'm prepping for a cross country move.

I have a GoGun SuperComp on my AR15.  It's "OK", reduces recoil, jumps a little up and to the left (probably due to rifling spin), and is fairly loud, but not as bad as some others.  If I had to replace it, I'd go with the Precision Arms M472 for sure.  TTAG part III muzzle brake test is due out by the end of this month or next month.

From TTAG:

"

Jeremy S says:

There’s a 5.56 test #3 coming up soon and a .308 test coming up very shortly thereafter (both will be published this December). Since many of the muzzle devices that are available for 5.56 and .308 (or .30 cal in general) are also available with AK-pattern threads (e.g. PA’s M4-72), I’m thinking there’s probably so much cross-over that it may not really be worth doing a separate AK-47 test. Seems like most of the muzzle devices that are AK-platform-specific aren’t really concentrating on recoil reduction anyway, or at least I don’t see any of the traditional-style AK things being real recoil reduction competition for what’s been developed for the AR platform for competition and tacticool use.

I’ll try to get in touch with Spike’s. I haven’t been successful in the past. The budget for buying brakes isn’t that big, and there are quite a few with higher “priority” (based mostly on requests) to buy before the $110+ Dynacomp 2…

Ideally a 2nd flash hiding test will be published before year end as well…"

I just bought a Go Gun SuperComp Ti.  I currently run a Miculek brake, which works great but it is super annoying to any person shooting on the bench next to me on the range.  It's more the concussive blast direction than the noise I think since everyone is wearing hearing protection when the range is hot.  Trying to "fan out" the gas.  I'm waiting to have it cerakoted along with parts for an AR-15 build.  We shall see. 

FWIW, I have the Miculek brake timed at 1 o'clock - seems to help with horizontal muzzle movement.

• 1 month later...

I know it didn't  score veighly on the testing, but I went with something that I personally know will perform very well...the Smith Enterprise Good Iron brake.  I had owned one on a Polytech M1A way back in the 90's and it did wonders for the recoil reduction  on that, and now put one on my APF 16" .308 carbine.   Unfortunately  I have only 7 rounds through the gun since putting it on, but those 7 were just like shooting a Mforgery in .223 for recoil comparison.

7 rounds were due to ammo issues, not gun.

Let us know what you find!  On TTAG test the Miculeck was #6, and Supercomp #38.  I look forward to hearing if you feel a difference:

all-brakes-in-one-chart.jpg

I have the Miculek on my AR308 and it works very well.  As little recoil as my 5.56s, easy to keep on target, but don't be next to me or you need to have multiple ears on.

"There’s a 5.56 test #3 coming up soon and a .308 test coming up very shortly thereafter (both will be published this December). Since many of the muzzle devices that are available for 5.56 and .308 (or .30 cal in general) are also available with AK-pattern threads (e.g. PA’s M4-72), I’m thinking there’s probably so much cross-over that it may not really be worth doing a separate AK-47 test. Seems like most of the muzzle devices that are AK-platform-specific aren’t really concentrating on recoil reduction anyway, or at least I don’t see any of the traditional-style AK things being real recoil reduction competition for what’s been developed for the AR platform for competition and tacticool use.

I’ll try to get in touch with Spike’s. I haven’t been successful in the past. The budget for buying brakes isn’t that big, and there are quite a few with higher “priority” (based mostly on requests) to buy before the $110+ Dynacomp 2…

Ideally a 2nd flash hiding test will be published before year end as well…

Jeremy"

Flash hider test was already published.  Still waiting on the muzzle brake results

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yup. There are a few that precision rifle blog tested that may compete with it like American Precision Arms Bastard brakes, Alamo 4 Star and JEC. I think he may be adding those to the next test. There is also the Muzzle Brakes and More "Beast" that's got 35 degree baffles and seems promising. 

One thing precision rifle blog added to recoil testing that is significant though, was the Muzzle flip/dip movement, ability to stay on target, follow a bullets path and return to target for follow up shots. The JEC style brake with top porting did well here, the Little Bastard ok, but not so much with the others despite the great recoil reduction. The tank brake stayed on target, but didn't reduce as much recoil.   We have no idea how the M4-72 performed on this issue.

8 hours ago, blue109 said:

That M4-72 is killin it!

You're right, that M4-72 put the other brakes in their place. It must be hell sitting next to it at the range. I like the SLR comp also, just waiting for a range report, before possibly buying it.

Edited by beantown

It can be turned down on a Lathe if it can be put on it . I had a custom brake made for me by PRI , for my 20" & they made it to my Barrels spec's ,based on my measurements , tapered it right to the Barrel .  Their normally smaller diameter then my 0.936"Barrel . 

If it has a larger diameter , just turn it down & have it refinished , as long as turning it down has no effect on any Porting or strength . 

Tool shouldn't have a problem with doing one or   or  three   or ?   ?