• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SR-25 build - My first .308

ninjajimmy

Seems a lot of people are looking for the softest feeling 308 AR they can put together . The problem there is you may end up causing function problems that would not be there if you would have just kept to the OEM parts. Its a freeking 308 & its going to have some recoil impulse.  

I'm one of those seeking a soft-shooting .308, but not "the softest". I imagine it's possible to go to extremes, but I'm happy enough with Slash's heavy buffer. And some say it also improves function. You'll have to ask others about that though.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The SR -25 uses a different spring  & buffer than the AR 10 , here's a comparison.

That's outdated information. They stopped using plastic buffers a while ago. Pictures of the M110 collapsible stock kit clearly show an AR-10 length receiver extension and metal AR-10/AR-15 carbine buffer.

Edited by FaRKle!

I think I am going to go with a Black Hole Armory 18" rifle length barrel now. It's only two inches more and function wise should be more reliable than a 16" rifle length. Plus I don't want to get the CMMG barrel and the Fulton I don't know when it will be back in stock. 

If and when the Fulton is available I'll order it and can always swap it out.

If and when the Fulton is available I'll order it and can always swap it out.

That won't happen.  You'll get the Fulton barrel and build another rifle out of it.

Mark my words.  <thumbsup>

That won't happen.  You'll get the Fulton barrel and build another rifle out of it.

Mark my words.  <thumbsup>

Normally I'd agree with you, but with the lovely ban we have we can't get any more AR lower receivers. The only way to do it is to build it on a pre-ban (pre 1994) lower. As you can imagine, this pre-ban SR-25 lower wasn't exactly cheap.

Edited by ninjajimmy

The upper/lower receiver set with charging handle and a standard pistol grip...$1,600 plus tax. Dealer got luckily and was able to grab 30 sets. Only 220 sets were made by KAC. All 30 sold in two days. Another dealer here is asking $2k for them. 

I've emailed Criterion Barrels directly. I found model # AR308-U16 which is the 16" Ultra light 308 AR, rifle gas system barrel I want. Asked how I can get one. I really want the 16" after doing more thinking. I'll settle for the 18" if and when the time comes.

Edited by ninjajimmy

I really want the 16" after doing more thinking. I'll settle for the 18" if and when the time comes.

Option 2: Buy 18" barrel, send to Nefarious Arms (Marvin Pitts) and have him cut down the barrel to 16" and dimple it!

That's what I did with my MWS 18" SS rifle-gassed barrel.

Edited by FaRKle!

Normally I'd agree with you, but with the lovely ban we have we can't get any more AR lower receivers. The only way to do it is to build it on a pre-ban (pre 1994) lower. As you can imagine, this pre-ban SR-25 lower wasn't exactly cheap.

Oh, I understand you, Jimmy... I just don't think you understand yet...  <lmao>

I amend my comment to be accurate for your state laws - Your other barrel won't be swapped into your current config.  It's going to turn into another, separate, upper receiver...

Man, these things are like Lay's potato chips.  You can't have just one.

That, I guarantee you.

The best thing you can do for yourself, especially since you've entered this gun-ownership world...  is move.

I know, I know, we hear it all the time, especially from the site owner of this very place here. "I can't, I can't, work, family, yada yada yada..."

One day, you will realize - the politicians in YOUR state don't give one $hit about you, or your rights.  The only thing that YOU can do to change that is to move the fuk out, and diminish their state income tax level by one-more-person.  Eventually, when most people in your state are tired of that $hit, and they DO move, they're going to start to feel it.

Until then, until money impacts them, they don't and won't care about you.

Off the :soap:  now...

That's outdated information. They stopped using plastic buffers a while ago. Pictures of the M110 collapsible stock kit clearly show an AR-10 length receiver extension and metal AR-10/AR-15 carbine buffer.

Ya , I was wondering about that after posting it & think its a comparison of the wrong rifle, anyway.

AS far as comparing buffer systems , that all work , some you may get a higher round count out of the spring , doesn't meant they won't work. 

I agree , if he's building a SR-25 from the ground up , use the right parts . I would wait for the barrel you want or have one made the way you want . You went as far as paying big $$ for the receiver set , why settle for anything but what you want .

Wait...what's the difference between a pre-ban SR25 receiver set and their "post ban" counterparts (or if those even exist)?

Please educate me.

Pre-ban is a receiver built before the old ban which happened in 9/xx/1994. Anything before that is considered Pre-ban. In ban states (at least CT) anything after that date was post-ban and you couldn't have threaded barrels, flash hiders, collapsible stocks, and bayo mount.

Now with the newest law passed after Newtown you can't buy an AR at all. We also cant buy any mags over 10 rounds. The exception with rifles is a Pre-ban. The way the law is worded lets Pre-bans still be sold (I'm sure they just messed up when writing the law) but due to the rarity they are expensive.

Edited by ninjajimmy

Pre-ban is a receiver built before the old ban which happened in 9/xx/1994. Anything before that is considered Pre-ban.

Didn't the CT ban start before Clinton's 1994 AWB, by a few extra years?  I thought it did.  <dontknow>

Ayan is a great dude!

So I totally didn't realize this but Ayan will install URX rails you buy from him for free (you still cover sending him the upper and barrel though).

Saw this on his facebook this morning:

boltcarrier.com

I swear -- I do get 7.62 URX 3 rails in stock but lately they've been selling before I put them into inventory.

I just ordered a few more and they should be in soon. Remember: I'm still offering free installation with a rail purchase -- this includes 7.62 rails.

Hmm...he didn't mention that to me when I emailed him. I did order the rail from him, but haven't heard anything back yet as to if it arrived or shipped yet.

Well you kind of have to wait for your barrel to come in before installing it so you have some time haha.

So I totally didn't realize this but Ayan will install URX rails you buy from him for free (you still cover sending him the upper and barrel though).

That's because of the URX barrel nut wrench - that thing alone is over $200.  :eek: