• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SR-25 build - My first .308

ninjajimmy

Seems a lot of people are looking for the softest feeling 308 AR they can put together . The problem there is you may end up causing function problems that would not be there if you would have just kept to the OEM parts. Its a freeking 308 & its going to have some recoil impulse.

Agree. 308 AR's don't kick that much anyway.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been acquiring parts slowly. Been trying to figure out what optic to go with. I want a battle rifle type setup that allows it to be effective both near and far. Settled on an SWFA 1-6x24. I actually finalized the parts list which i've posted below. The sight/mount and back up sights will be the last bits to be taken care of. 

Then I need to start figuring what ammo to run.

ScreenShot2014-07-02at65339PM_zpsa2bbbbe

Edited by ninjajimmy

Then I need to start figuring what ammo to run.

Twist rate on the barrel will determine that, more than anything else.  Max range you intend/plan to engage a target it is the secondary factor.

Thoughts? PSA AR-15 on left and Armalite AR-10 on right.

I can't cycle the DMPS BCG with the Armalite catch in. Angle is too steep. Options:

1. Grind/sand it down so it isn't as tall (the "ramp" would end up being slightly round)

2. Install AR-15 catch

3. Order and install DPMS LR-308 catch and hope it works.

866a7592-d2d0-4ff6-8a98-a03c65c64221_zps

Jeez man, I wish I'd started posting earlier.  If you are still looking for pieces, I have managed to scrounge and find things cheaper.  For example, I can find AAC Brakeout 51T 7.62 for $105 (vs. $150), and have a bunch of lower pieces that were left over from my JP rifles parts kit (I used the safety selector and the buffer tube spring/detent......LOL.  "DERP"  Learning curve).  Also, I have managed to scrounge and scavenge to find things very affordably (I actually scored the KAC URX II 12.5 inch rail for $350, vs. Operation Parts wanting $675 and Knights wanting $700, everyone else being sold out.)  

Your rifle looks very close to what I wanted to do....an almost "M110K1" style rifle, but again, my own version.  She's lookin' beautiful so far!!!  I'd love to help out however I can...

Jon

Thoughts? PSA AR-15 on left and Armalite AR-10 on right.

I can't cycle the DMPS BCG with the Armalite catch in. Angle is too steep. Options:

1. Grind/sand it down so it isn't as tall (the "ramp" would end up being slightly round)

2. Install AR-15 catch

3. Order and install DPMS LR-308 catch and hope it works.

866a7592-d2d0-4ff6-8a98-a03c65c64221_zps

Its not just the ramp , though you can alter it to work . The bottom of the BS is keeping it up higher & interfering with BCG travel , the BS is regulated in its travel by the cut in the lower receiver & you don't want to mess with that , so you take some off the bottom of the BS where it hits the bottom of the cut in the receiver , you may be able to take enough off to let the BS sit lower in the receiver enough to clear the BCG's travel .

If you look at your photo , you can not only see the ramp is more pronounced , but also the stop tang on the BS  ( flat area above your thumb ) & that is where you can remove material to let the buffer spring for the BS force it deeper in the receiver .

The AR 15 may or may not work & if it does , it may not hold the bolt back for long , most times the BCG will drop back into battery with the slightest movement or bump of the rifle .

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

The AR 15 may or may not work & if it does , it may not hold the bolt back for long , most times the BCG will drop back into battery with the slightest movement or bump of the rifle .

The AR15 catch has a shorter "nose" and will not catch on the mag follower properly in a 308ar.

OP, have you tried a DPMS LR308 catch instead of the armalite AR-10 one?

Edited by shibiwan

The Armalite AR-10 bolt catch works even better than the DPMS version does.  More meat to it.  I'm just sayin'... 

No it doesn't, hence the reason I got the DPMS catch. The AR-10 catch has a ramp area that is too tall and doesn't let the BCG travel over it. You would have to grind away material to make the ramp shorter for it to possibly work with a DPMS carrier. Also the AR-10 catch needed to be filed down (thickness) as it was too tight of a fit in the lower. 

Well, it does have more meat than the DPMS, and that's definitely been posted up before, with pics.  Filing it down to work in DPMS receiver is what needs to be done to have a stronger catch, it's as simple as that.

Drive on, think what you want, and argue what you will - it's been proven numerous times, well before you started your build, and well ahead of your knowledge curve on this stuff.

Edited by 98Z5V