• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS RIffle with Case Issue

EBR Shooter

My wife and I just purchased two DPMS 308's. Mine is a SASS and hers is the REPR.  We just got her can in and went to the range.  We have run about 250 rounds combined through both guns and every once in a while we will have a case just jam up in the chamber.  After I get it out, it is always the same case markings of RP on the primer end.  I know it stands for Remington Peterson but is there anyone else that has these rifles and or has the same problem?

New rifles , run them a little wet with oil for a while , then you can go back to normal oiling . What magazines are you using , the DPMS that came with the rifle , if so try a Magpul LR 308 PMag or another brand , although the top of the line will be the PMag. There are very good steel mags out there also , one is the original CProducts are very good , no sure of the newer ones after the Co. was sold .

We just got her can in and went to the range.  We have run about 250 rounds combined through both guns and every once in a while we will have a case just jam up in the chamber.

Does it only happen when suppressed?

How does the rim of the case look? did the extractor tear the rim off?

Edited by FaRKle!

Yes,Try to keep all lubricants out of the chamber . I always put a very small dab of grease on the back of the bolt lugs . The term of running them wet doesn't mean pouring oil into the action , but does mean you use more lubricant than you normally would . 

'Zackly. I grease the lugs lightly, oil nearly everything otherwise.

Still, there's gotta be a reason for keeping oil out of the chamber. That reason may explain the stuck brass, if there's lube in the chamber. Like maybe lube burns and after burning takes up more space.

Chamber mops might be more important than advertised.

The force of chambering a round in the chamber is going to displace any excess oil that might be in the chamber.  Don't worry about lubing the hell out of the upper and running it.  Don't even waste the time of running a chamber mop into the chamber after you oil up.

Militarily, we had bigass squirt bottles of CLP on movement ranges.  Lock the bolt to the rear, 2 or 3 trigger-pulls of the squirt bottle into the ejection port door from front to back, right onto the bolt face (locked back), then release the bolt and squirt one more on the BCG side.

Never, ever had any first-round issues with any lube, running it just like that.

If you have some kind of an issue with excess oil deforming your brass cases, then you have a loose, out-of-spec chamber, or you chambered the wrong round in the wrong gun.

Double check your reloading procedures & loadings . Make sure of proper trim to length & sized correctly .What type sizer die are you using ? Full length or Small base .

RP ( Remington Peters ) is some soft brass & may not like hotter than normal loadings . I get some of my best groups with RP brass , go figure . I mostly use LC brass (Lake City )

As said , try factory or mil spec ammo . I would use mil spec 7.62x51 to break them in. Strange the RP brass is the only ones you are having problems with. Normally with a tight chamber , it wouldn't be particular of what brass screws up .

Another thing to try is a Small Base sizer die , it will size the case lower in to the web of the case , as you probably know .