• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Carbon Fiber?

MaDuce

I'm not sure if anybody else makes them but here goes. A free float tube for a armalite ar 10.  Any thing to lighten a AR10.

I'd love to do that but I have nothing to fit it to. I have an LR308 pattern rifle with a free floating tube if that counts, and I HAVE been itching to replace the forend.

I have a .308 Ruger GSR that needs a lighter weight stock. Want to tackle that?

I get carbon fiber for cheap in a relative sense. That is, $35 per yardx50in plus $20 shipping regardless of quantity

http://www.fiberglassflorida.com/index.php/carbon/2x2-twill-carbon.html

and epoxy resin for $55 per gallon AFTER S&H if I buy 7.5 gallons at a time.

http://www.fiberglassflorida.com/epoxy-resin.html

That's about half as much as the next best deal I know of but that's still going to leave an entire rifle stock like that (which needs internal reinforcement to handle .308 recoil) as much as $70-$100 in sheer cost. I MAY try it at some point though, after I first learn the ropes by duplicating M14 stocks. But that's not an immediate future project as I am spending my larger amounts of time, carbon fiber and $ on my car project. I was thinking more along the line of handguard, grip,  Misc. accessories etc.

I DO like the idea of lightening the .308 AR with it. I've been thinking for a while about trying my hands at a CF lower receiver.

btw. CF has to be stacked or curved in order to be strong. You could probably stand on a single layered half dome (bowl shape) but you can snap a flat sheet of it like a cookie.

Since stacking it can cause the weight to go up very fast, you're mostly going to be stuck with curved surfaces for weight savings and durability.

Edited by MaDuce