• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need advice, critiques, and suggestions on plans for a precision .308

TexA-R

Those OBR's are pretty nice. I'm definitely going to look into them more in the future. I just gotta find out what barrel and parts I'm putting in my upper. I almost have all the parts for my lower. Debating between an 18 and 20 inch. Just gotta find what manufacturer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those OBR's are pretty nice. I'm definitely going to look into them more in the future. I just gotta find out what barrel and parts I'm putting in my upper. I almost have all the parts for my lower. Debating between an 18 and 20 inch. Just gotta find what manufacturer.

Clint McKee at Fulton has been tuning match rifles and making accurate rifles for alot longer than some of these barrel companies out there.  What he knows, and what he does is proven on the national shooting level, for years.  You absolutely cannot go wrong with one of his barrels.  <thumbsup>

I am really liking that 18.5 Fulton. Does anyone know if they can match a bolt to the barrel for me. Or is all that up to me. I know the jp comes with a match bolt. Just wondering if Fulton may offer the same. The price on it is pretty low. So if there is no way to get a match bolt from them. What would be the best thing to do? Buy a complete BCG or piece one together?

If you buy the bolt at the same time as you're buying the barrel, he headspaces them together.  This isn't something special that you have to ask him to do when you order - he automatically does that anytime one is going out the door. 

If you buy the bolt at the same time as you're buying the barrel, he headspaces them together. This isn't something special that you have to ask him to do when you order - he automatically does that anytime one is going out the door.

When you say "buy the bolt at the same time" do you mean that he also sells bolts that he will headspace for you. Or do you mean that I have to buy the bolt from a different manufacturer and send it in for him to head space it to my barrel.

He sells bolts.  He sells complete chromed or NiB BCGs, too.  He will headspace YOUR bolt if you send it to him - that is something you have to coordinate ahead of time with him, though.

NiB BCG, complete, $249:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/boltcarriergroupcompletetitanincludesboltcomplete-2.aspx

Just the phosphated bolt, complete - $139.  Much better deal to get the NiB BCG complete...

http://www.fulton-armory.com/bolttitancompleted.aspx

I've looked at NiB BCG's. From what I've read about the 762 industries and rainiers NiB BCG's the machining is horrible and the finish is the same. Does anyone have personal experience with the fulton NiB BCG. I just don't want to get something that isn't what is advertised, like what people are getting from rainier and 762.

The Fulton chromed carrier is what I have, and it's nice.  That was purchased before all this NiB stuff went crazy.  Fulton isn't going to send out a $hit part.

I have a Rainier Arms NiB 5.56 BCG, among 4 NiB BCGs, and the Rainier is by far the nicest of the bunch.  They don't let $hit get out their door, either. 

I've looked at NiB BCG's. From what I've read about the 762 industries and rainiers NiB BCG's the machining is horrible and the finish is the same. Does anyone have personal experience with the fulton NiB BCG. I just don't want to get something that isn't what is advertised, like what people are getting from rainier and 762.

Take it with a grain of salt. There's always a ton of shît-talking on the interwebz so ask around before you rush to judgement, and it looks like Tom has set you straight. :)

Something you'll notice with NiB coated parts, when you receive them - NiB coating is ALOT thinner than even Phosphate coating. 

If comes down to painting window frames, in a way - ever have to do that as a kid?  Old-skool windows, that had the weights on a string, inside the window frame!  <lmao>  Strip them down to bare wood, and paint.  You put a thin coat on there, and you can still see the grain of the wood.  You put that $hit on thick, and it's all smooth - and you can't open the windows.  But it's smooth!

Phosphate coating covers machining marks, because it goes on thicker.  NiB goes on VERY thin.  You'll see machining marks that you would have never, ever seen had that thing been phosphated...  and it's still the same bolt carrier, or other part.

You see something in a Nib carrier, don't worry about it. As long as it's made of good materials, made with the proper processes and techniques, and purchased from a reputable dealer or manufacturer, then you don't have anything to worry about.

DId you buy it to look pretty, or did you buy it to function as designed?...  <dontknow> <thumbsup>

You see something in a Nib carrier, don't worry about it. As long as it's made of good materials, made with the proper processes and techniques, and purchased from a reputable dealer or manufacturer, then you don't have anything to worry about.

DId you buy it to look pretty, or did you buy it to function as designed?...  <dontknow> <thumbsup>

That, and the shiny/reflective surface doesn't help either.  Compare with a phosphated BCG in flat black and it's harder to tell.

....and it does look pretty.

The bad info I read on those bcg's were that they weren't machined to a smooth surface and that they made a horrible sound when slid into the upper receiver. And people were seeing bad premature wear in their uppers as well. I completely understand if their manufacturer had some parts slip through that weren't quite to spec.

I work as an inspector in a machine shop and all I deal with is tight tolerances and certain finishes. But I also do see how the phosphate coating could penetrate those tool marks left from the machining.

But I would much rather have a nib bcg that is machined to a very smooth finish on the 4 points that make contact with the receiver. And if that's the case with rainier and fultons then I would purchase either. If I purchased the fulton barrel I would most likely get their nib bcg.

The bad info I read on those bcg's were that they weren't machined to a smooth surface and that they made a horrible sound when slid into the upper receiver. And people were seeing bad premature wear in their uppers as well. I completely understand if their manufacturer had some parts slip through that weren't quite to spec.

Those are people that haven't been around the platform for a long amount of time - they don't even know what "normal" looks like, I'd bet.  Wish I could show you some upper receiver pics and BCG pics of my old work guns - you'd think they were gonna fall apart, if you didn't know better.

No BCG has a smooth surface, after machining. Some coatings cover the machining marks, some don't.  Put a new phosphated (dry) BCG into a brand new (dry) upper receiver, and pull the charging handle back - it's like fingers on a chalkboard, and it 110% normal. 

Don't base what you're reading online as fact, unless you're researching the experience level of the person posting that tidbit of fact...  I'm just sayin'... 

Being from a manufacturing background, you've probably seen things slip through QC. Doesn't mean they're all bad, all it takes is one piece to get out there to the wrong hands. More important is how the company deals with the problem. :D

Edited by shibiwan

Being from a manufacturing background, you've probably seen things slip through QC. Doesn't mean they're all bad, all it takes is one piece to get out there to the wrong hands. More important is how the company deals with the problem. :D

We try not to let anything slip by, but then again. There will always be those very seldom occasions where they do. But you are 100% accurate, it is how the company chooses to deal with the situation.

The sales clerk brought me another gun and it was the worse machining that I have ever seen on an upper receiver.  LMT should have been ashamed to put that POS in a box.  I have a LMT AR15 that I purchased 5 years ago and I would not compare the two.

How so? My MWS from last year is just fine.

How so? My MWS from last year is just fine.

I wish I took a picture.  One side of the upper receiver had numerous deep tooling marks in it.  Helen Keller could have spotted it.  The first gun I looked at was probably handling marks from being on the show room floor, and it had the finish coming off several areas.  The second MWS that he brought me was Anodized over the heavy tool marks.  Like I said they were deep marks and several of them.  Looked like marks from a dull routing bit.  They only had two guns in stock, so I did not look any further.  The sad thing is when I pointed it out to the clerk, he acted like no big deal.  I said are you going to send that gun back, and he said no.  I would think LMT would want to know about QC issues.  They are ISO 9000.  I was really interested in getting the MWS because I like my LMT AR15.  Last fall these guns were still hard to find locally.  I havent looked at one since.  They seem to be more plentiful now.  I was not going to take my chance in ordering one online after seeing two in person that looked rough.

I had a nickel boron bcg come in from surplus ammunition in 5.56. The finish seemed very dull and ran pretty rough and hard even after cleaning. So I lightly buffed it. I hope this was OK i never realized the nickel boron coating was so thin until reading this thread. Can someone tell me if this was??

It did seem to smooth things out. And it is still pretty shiny after oround 1500 rounds and I do keep it clean and lubed well.