• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Problem with H&H 80 lower

cantshootafish

OK, the finishing worked perfect.  However, to get the magazine release button to work properly I can only have one thread from the shaft threaded into the button. Obviously that is not acceptable.  I can't get H&H to answer their phone or call me back. 

Any suggestions?  It would appear that I need to have the shaft on the magazine release at least 1/8" longer.  And I am using the DPMS .308 kit.  

• 2 weeks later...

The mag release button and the threaded shaft afe the same length as those from my AR15 LPK's.  I bought the LR308 LPK from DPMS, and it does have the different (and correct) magazine release latch, so I assume all the other parts in the kit are correct. 

Are these parts supposed to be the same as the AR kits?  It sure looks like the shaft could use another 1/8" of length.  It looks like H&H went out of business.  No luck at getting to them by email from the link on their site. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the finishing worked perfect.  However, to get the magazine release button to work properly I can only have one thread from the shaft threaded into the button.

Are you pushing the mag release button in with a punch or other device, to fully thread the button it?  You have to do that.

If you just try to thread the button onto the end of the threaded portion by hand, and stop there (when you hit the right side of the receiver), you'll never get it threaded on where it needs to be - you need to push that button in, and spin the mag release on the left side of the lower, in order to thread that thing in there...

Edited by 98Z5V

The standard mag release button had to be pushed below the surface of the lower to get the mag to release if it was threaded on more than one thread....not acceptable. 

I had a friend make a custom length mag release button for me and it worked out perfect.  We had to add 1/8" to the length of it. I finished the assembly and test fired it today and all is perfect.  Now on to my next one....

DPMS type above is still just an AR15 mag release.  That's the entire reason you don't take the AR15 mag release to "flush" with the button when putting it in a .308 AR (like you would on a typical AR build).  Armalite fixed that for the AR10, and took the time to make it a little longer, and you take the button flush on their part (but not others).

Armalite really does go the extra mile on .308 stuff.  Their lower receiver parts really are superior for this platform, because of that.   

• 1 month later...