• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PRACTICING TRIGGER CONTROL

I have ran approx 40 rounds through my Oracle.. Currently a little all over the place on the target. My last 4 shots, I figured it out. I'm pulling because of the trigger, which I have asked the question of the first upgrade.. Trigger, however that's a little bit out (6 months) Is there a way I can practice trigger control without burning rounds and damaging the firing pin... in other words, dry fire.

Thanks 

Is there a way I can practice trigger control without burning rounds and damaging the firing pin... in other words, dry fire.

Thanks

Dime and washer drills...  old Army thing.  Place the front of the gun on a rest, and have someone (shooting buddy in Army Basic) balance a dime or washer on the barrel.  Pull the trigger.  If the dime or washer falls off, you fail.  Practice until you can pull the trigger smoothly enough that the dime or washer doesn't fall off the barrel.

Troops train all the time, with the heavy-ass trigger pull of a military issued weapon, to accomplish that task.  They pass.  They must, continually,  pass, before shooting BRM... 

It works.

What the hell is the 10 min. trigger job? <dontknow>

Ok since I like you I'll do the work:

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

I lied, they claim its 15 minutes, I did it in 10 minutes.  <laughs>

Puts your trigger pull sub 4lbs (dare I say 2lbs or less?) and gets rid of almost all the creep and the "not so smooth" feeling of the stock trigger.

To me it feels like a $200 single stage setup that cost me nothing. And I can replace it back to stock specs for...I think its like $6.00?  ;D

No need to worry about dry-firing an AR platform.  All branches of the military do it during rifle marksmanship countless times during training, and those rifle in turn go "bang" during qualification.  Over and over and over.  If it concerns you, pick up a snap cap, and chamber that first (and every time).  You won't have any problems dry firing, though.

The best training I gave my trigger finger started with playing with a water pistol,  dry. 

A small cheap water pistol,  holds just like the real thing,  single or double handed.  Pull that long plunger trigger slow and properly and watch that the pistol does not move around.  At all.  Pointed into the shaving mirror it can be watched from both sides.  A dime balanced on the little plastic pistol would be interesting,  too.  I will try that.

This exercise improved my groups a lot.  Pistol and rifle.

How serious are you about getting better and learning trigger control?  Here's the extreme.  If you're okay with getting a bit better, cool.  If you're interested in being one of the best at your local range, read on.

AR.jpg

I shoot competitive air rifle (air pistol is my primary discipline). No, that's not me in the picture. Anyway, air rifle has no limit to the trigger weight.  I have a cheaper Walther LGM-2, the trigger is set to about 160 grams.

walther-lgm-2-ilmakivaari-935778_b_f0de6d4cf90570ef.jpg

What's neat about air rifle is that you can shoot targets in your house.  Practice and get to the point you can shoot an ISSF air rifle score of 525/600 and you'll be able to out-shoot 90% of your local range with high-power rifle.

Case in point... --I'm totally bragging now.  Last Saturday I hit a milk jug at 340 yards.  With open iron sights.  Using a bone stock Mosin Nagant.  Standing.  ;D  I have witnesses, it took a few rounds to get it.

Yes, maybe not Earth shattering when compared to Palma shooters shooting at targets at 1000 yards with .308 using open iron sights. For Palma shooters, it all comes down to their trigger control.

PalmaRifle003.jpg

It might all be overkill, depending on the level of trigger control you really want.  But all of this precision shooting and learning good trigger technique translates to any rifle you choose to shoot, be it a Ruger 10/22 or a 50 BMG.  But now you have all the info to shoot for the stars if you're interested <thumbsup>

Oz

A couple of decades ago there was an article on "miniature sniping", shooting stuff like plastic green army men in your backyard, with an air rifle.

Work out the scale of the tin soldier to a human, then however far they are from your muzzle, use the same scale for your pretend distance.

Oz, those are some nice air guns!  My top o' the line airgun is a Benjamin...old school but it works!

I would like one of the lever replicas with the air resevoir and magazine.  Something like 60 shots from a tank, .22 caliber scooting along at 1,000fps.

Jon