• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

On The Lightweight End...

planeflyer21

I want to see someone load a 77gr sabot.... or even lighter!?!?! Can a 30-36gr Barnes Varmint Grenade be used in a sabot??

That was discussed a short time ago over at 300blktalk.com and it was pointed out that it was kind of redundant to try something like that. What was said was that you're trying to recreate a .223 round with a 300 blk. case so what's the point?

I'm guessing that you would run into feeding issues with a bullet like that. .30 Carbine FMJ bullets have been used quite a bit in the 300 blk though.

Edited by 392heminut

That was discussed a short time ago over at 300blktalk.com and it was pointed out that it was kind of redundant to try something like that. What was said was that you're trying to recreate a .223 round with a 300 blk. case so what's the point?

I have to agree here. I mean, it'd be cool to say you did it, just to do it.... But what for?? A less than equal .223?? There's no way you'd get the same velocity as a true .223.... It's not like when a .308 blasts out the 77gr at over 4k fps.

I want to see someone load a 77gr sabot.... or even lighter!?!?! Can a 30-36gr Barnes Varmint Grenade be used in a sabot??

I have to agree here. I mean, it'd be cool to say you did it, just to do it.... But what for?? A less than equal .223?? There's no way you'd get the same velocity as a true .223.... It's not like when a .308 blasts out the 77gr at over 4k fps.

Maybe go with a different sub-caliber bullet...like a 6.5mm or 7mm?

Speaking of bullets, I was talking to the owner of Alco bullets ( http://www.alcobullets.com/ ) on Sat at the local gun show. Interesting steel or aluminum tipped bullets. He claimed extended ranges, increased ouch factor, and superior accuracy which made me wonder if these super pointy projos are worth checking out or not.

To me it seems like the pointy tips will make them slice cleanly through soft tissue with reduced damage.

110fbst.jpg

Edited by shibiwan

Those are interesting , looks like the Barne's 110 gr. TAC

Are they available ?

Yeah, available but really pricey.

The gentleman was also interested in getting some CNC work done so let see if he bites and ask to see if I can get them at wholesale pricing....

Edited by shibiwan

Speaking of bullets, I was talking to the owner of Alco bullets ( http://www.alcobullets.com/ ) on Sat at the local gun show. Interesting steel or aluminum tipped bullets. He claimed extended ranges, increased ouch factor, and superior accuracy which made me wonder if these super pointy projos are worth checking out or not.

To me it seems like the pointy tips will make them slice cleanly through soft tissue with reduced damage.

110fbst.jpg

It's all fun and games, until you drop that bastard on your toe...

We know what happened to the thumb...  <dontknow>

110fbst.jpg

I tried to order some today & it had no payment methods for my state of Florida . These bullets must qualify as an armor piercing design , I even tried the Aluminum tips . I guess I'll have to call & find out WTF is up.

Edited by survivalshop