• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Oracle trigger pins

mrmackc

Looking at Timney trigger is the DPMS Oracle 308 trigger and hammer pins large or small? What is the diameter of small pin?, large pin?I have used Timney triggers in Remington 700s Springfield 03s,03A3s and really were satisfied with them. Anyone had gripes with then in the ar 308 applications?

Thank

standard small pin. .154 or something like that if I remember. I put a regular Timney in my 308 and it worked great but wouldn't set off old milsurp primers, so I moved it to my 5.56 gun. id advise the 308 version if you plan on shooting old stuff.

Thanks blue. Since I don't have anything to gauge what is big or small I was lost

If it's smaller than your pecker, it's likely the small pin. If it's bigger than your pecker.... don't tell anyone!!!

Lol. I'm kiddin.

Only Colt (that I'm aware of) used those large pins. There's 99.99% chance (as long as you didn't buy a Colt) that you only need the small pins for most of the rifles out there.

If it's smaller than your pecker, it's likely the small pin. If it's bigger than your pecker.... don't tell anyone!!!

Lol. I'm kiddin.

Only Colt (that I'm aware of) used those large pins. There's 99.99% chance (as long as you didn't buy a Colt) that you only need the small pins for most of the rifles out there.

Aaaannnnnd...another opening.

Here is Geissele's explanation on there trigger fitment & on large & small pins .

Hammer & Trigger Pin Sizes

Colt is the only AR-15 rifle manufacturer to use both small and large diameter pins in their trigger groups. Most Colt AR-15 rifles manufactured before 1991 and after fall 2009 are probably small pins while rifles manufactured between 1991 and fall 2009 are probably large pins. Because Geissele Automatics offers several triggers in “large-pin” versions, the customer will need to measure the hammer and trigger pins in their Colt rifles to determine if they need a small or large pin trigger.

Note: If your rifle is not a Colt, it uses small pins exclusively. Complete removal of the hammer or trigger is not required to measure the pins. Each pin needs to be pressed out of the receiver far enough to measure the pin’s diameter. Small pins will nominally measure 0.154 in.  and large pins will nominally measure 0.169 in. as shown in the figure.

That's awesome. It shows you must be doing something right.

One thing that kept the homefires burning was that I wasn't home a lot during the first forty years. But being retired the last ten years took some doing also I spend a lot of time in my shop. Until recently I kept busy doing restorations on old cars....lately I have went back to my lifelong love affair. With guns primarily rifles revolvers and Colt and Ruger pistols....my favorite is my 1911 and 1903 Colt automatics. I never cared for the AR 15. I did have a Sterling tin gun once. Now our folks that want to take away"Assault rifles" with 100 round"clips" have given me a new "itch" and my new DPMS ORACLE 308 is doing the scratching.

I like to shoot paper targets 200yd offhand 10 rounds slow, 10 rounds Sit rapid. 300 yd. S&K And 10 prone, 500 yd 10 prone whatever it is called now.

I also like to hunt whitetails from a stand and hogs any way I find them, in daylight. I like to call coyote and bobcat with.223 (mini 14) in pastures and.22 WRM (Ithaca saddle lever action) in brush.

I like the Timney trigger because it is familar to me.

G2S is the exact same performance of the SSA.  Only a few differences in the manufacture.  Every SSA is numbered/laser engraved, and every one is MP tested.  The G2S is made from the same tool steel as the SSA, holds the hammer pin in a different manner, isn't laser marked, and batches are MP spot checked.

The G2S is every bit as great a trigger as the SSA.