• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help please! Mega arms build not running right.

Andrew1981

Need to know what that buffer is.  It's an AR-15 part, betting money on that.

This one is still my all-time favorite, hands down.  There are no other winners, and everything else is a loser.

Ya'll are correct. I am an idiot and but a Ar-15 buff and spring in this gun.... 

I have the correct parts and a new barrel in the mail. I will update ya'll when I get it all together. Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by Andrew1981

I think I going to just hide it from the wife and have a back up barrel for my N6 Ill be getting in a few months. 

I can guarantee THAT won't happen if you keep hanging around here! Spare parts have a way of turning into new builds in this place,not that we have any enablers here or anything. <lmao>

• 2 months later...

So, did Andrew1981 ever correct his problem?It seem's like he just vanished.The reason I'm curious is,that I put a PRS with a DPMS buttstock extender on a Rock River LAR8.I used the wrong length mounting screw and the buffer was

"just"barely kissing it.It seemed to function just fine when firing it,no malfunction's.However,I knew something wasn't right when the bolt would not lock back.I called Rock River.And,the first question the guy asked me was"did I change

the stock?"I forget if,I changed the screw or just cut that one down just a tad.Problem solved!

The PRS comes with the correct screw to use - did you not use it when you installed the stock?

No it doesn't.  Unless he wants to crank in a screw with the wrong head type on it.

The MagPul PRS comes with the correct screw if you are not using an extension, a flat truss-style head that is slotted.  The DPMS extender kits come with two screws of different lengths, with flat heads that need to be countersunk.

So, did Andrew1981 ever correct his problem?It seem's like he just vanished.The reason I'm curious is,that I put a PRS with a DPMS buttstock extender on a Rock River LAR8.I used the wrong length mounting screw and the buffer was

"just"barely kissing it.It seemed to function just fine when firing it,no malfunction's.However,I knew something wasn't right when the bolt would not lock back.I called Rock River.And,the first question the guy asked me was"did I change

the stock?"I forget if,I changed the screw or just cut that one down just a tad.Problem solved!

Another issue people have been having with stock extenders is the screw not being vented...creates just enough back pressure in the system to piddle with the reliability.

You've fixed the issue with the length stopping the rearward travel of the buffer, hence the BCG not being able to engage the bolt stop.

If you find your LAR-8 still isn't cycling reliably, take your 1/4-28 stock bolt down to the machine shop and have them drill a hole with a 44 or 43 drill bit.

I chased this issue quite awhile, when I changed out magazines, my gas block, and the stock all at once.  The screw length was easy.  

Other people mention the screw issue on the reviews here:  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tube-hardware/ar-15-m16-buttstock-extender-prod5559.aspx