• Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Aero Precision M5 build. Help?

ironmonster

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So on Midways parts page they list a AR15/ LR308 Mag catch

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/327344/dpms-magazine-release-ar-15-lr-308-matte

So am I to make the assumption that all the parts for the Aero are DPMS patten except for the mag catch which is AR10?

If that is the case where can I buy the AR10 mag catch as a stand alone part?

Did you see this?  

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=341

Add the coupon code: "GoHawks12" and the total is $235!  I couldn't resist, so I'll see how it mates with my SI-Defense lower.

Not only did I see it,   I had to buy one.     

Which kind of irritates me because now I am commited to a second rifle which I cant really afford or need.       But too good of deal to pass up.

Not only did I see it,   I had to buy one.     

Which kind of irritates me because now I am commited to a second rifle which I cant really afford or need.       But too good of deal to pass up.

Just have a different barreled upper 20".18", 16" or even 14". <thumbsup>

Ar 15 mag catch will work on most 308AR's , some need a longer one . Are you having fun yet  , the 308 AR is a different beast then its smaller brother . I think the Amalite's catch is better for the 308AR .

Edited by survivalshop

Just have a different barreled upper 20".18", 16" or even 14". <thumbsup>

Ar 15 mag catch will work on most 308AR's , some need a longer one . Are you having fun yet  , the 308 AR is a different beast then its smaller brother . I think the Amalite's catch is better for the 308AR .

Yeah Extra uppers have a way of turning into guns.   I used to have half a dozen "extra" AR15 uppers but eventually they all ended up complete rifles   ::)

I can tell you its a bit more stressful at this point trying to sort out the big bore stuff.   I'll feel better when I have a rifle that works and a better idea what I am doing.     I own 15 or so AR15's and built over half of them from scratch so I thought I had a pretty good grasp of what would be entailed with its big brother.   Not so much ^-^

• 3 weeks later...

Over all I am pretty happy with this. I spent a little more money than I planed on but I think it was well spent. My biggest gripe with it so far is just its weight. She is a tank. With a empty magazine and the bi-pod she clocks in at 12.5 lbs With a optic and loaded mag its gonna be 16 pounds! And this is a relatively light 16" barrel. Cant imagine what it it would weigh with a 22" bull barrel!

I am hoping this weekend I'll get a chance to see if it goes bang.

It is mostly Aero

Areo 16" 1/10 Stainless bead blasted barrel
Fortis Stainless gas bock.
Spikes nitrided gas tube
AAC comp/flash hider
Aero enhanced upper and keymod rail
Aero M5 lower
GGG folding sights
Magpul UBR stock
CMC 3.5lb flat trigger
BAD-ASS Ambi saftey
AXTS/Raptor ambi charging handle
Aero/Fail Zero BGC

post-15610-0-31161700-1424320109_thumb.jpost-15610-0-83298900-1424320109_thumb.jpost-15610-0-32316200-1424320110_thumb.j

So know I want to build another one. I suppose that is the way it always works. You learn something and then you want to do the next thing. I think I might try and build a much lighter version of this same rifle. Find a pencil barrel and put on a Magpul ACS-L See if I can get down in the 7-8 pound range.

Anyway She is not a Si-Defense or one of the Rainer branded Mega rifles but as she sits with the used UBR stock I am into it about $1350 without sights or a magazine. Right at about half what one of those "fancy" rifles would cost. If it will put 5 rounds in a 2" circle at 100 yards I am gonna call it a win.

Edited by ironmonster

Well,   I bought one of the Aero upper/rail combo deals on sale for $235,  I picked up one of those $175 BCG from AIM surplus.   I got a ACS-L stock, MOE grip another CMC trigger.   I got a buffer tube, gas tube, pivot and takedown pins.

so I need a barrel, gas block, flash hider, lower, buffer and spring,   So another $500-$600 I should have a second rifle kicking around.      Two is one, one is none <thumbsup>

so I need a barrel, gas block, flash hider, lower, buffer and spring,   So another $500-$600 I should have a second rifle kicking around.      Two is one, one is none <thumbsup>

He's gonna fit in just fine around here...  <lmao>

Its a .750 gas block,  The barrel is not a lightweight, but its not a heavy profile either.  Kind of in the middle.  

The UBR weighs like 1.5 pounds on its own, so Its no lightweight but it does not account for a 12 pound rifle.   The bipod probably weighs a pound .

I probably need to check my scale.    It feels heavy but I was shocked when it read 12.5.   I have a HK91 clone that is about 9 pounds though and it does feel considerably heavier than that.

I did not even try another bolt catch as I got the Aero with my other bits.    The AR-10 mag release is only maybe 3/16 longer than the AR15 but it does make the difference.   I did both the AR10 unit and a Seekins button, but I think just using a Seekins button with a standard AR15 one would work.    You only need just a bit more,    I had it together with just AR parts and it worked fine there was just not much of the mag release button showing.