• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Build

smith0791

Alright guys, this is my first build ever, so go easy on me! A little of my AR history to start off with. My first AR was a bushmaster carbon 15 that I bought during the Great Black Rifle Scare, and so I paid WAY too much for it. Thankfully, I was able to sell it right towards the end of the Scare, without losing too much money. After that experience, and much the wiser, I purchased a Daniel Defense. Absolutely love that rifle. Hands down one of the best ARs I've ever shot, and it gets compliments every time I go to the range. But after awhile, I got the urge to get a .308 AR type. Being the broke college student that I am, I could not afford the fancy LWRC and SCARs of the world, so I decided to build one. After many months of saving, selling things that were collecting dust in the safe, and a few Christmas presents later, this is the end result...

Build Specs:

Aero Precision stripped lower and upper receiver

Daniel Defense LPK

Aero Precision buffer kit

Phase 5 Tactical bolt release

BCM Gunfighter mod3

Magpul ACS-L

Magpul MIAD 1.1

Fulton Armory BCG

Fulton Armory 18.5" LW profile Chrome-lined barrel

Fulton Armory 308 gas tube

JP/SYRAC adjustable low profile gas block

Black River Tactical Covert Comp

JL Billet M-Lok Angle Cut 15" free float rail.

Leupold Mark 2 IMS mount

Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16x44

Magpul Pro 45 degree offset flip up set

Let me know what you guys think!

Taking her out tomorrow, I'll let ya know how she performs!

Btw, I know I'm missing my crush washer. It was supposed to show up in the mail today and didn't :( so I will be running an ugly flat washer until it comes.

post-15846-0-18619900-1426816961_thumb.j

post-15846-0-31584800-1426816966_thumb.j

post-15846-0-08844600-1426816968_thumb.j

post-15846-0-17833600-1426816970_thumb.j

post-15846-0-41214200-1426816963_thumb.j

Edited by smith0791

Thanks! I used this site quite a bit in my research, figured I would post the end results!

And thank you again! I'm really happy with how it turned out and can't wait to see what the results will be tomorrow.

I did not weigh it, I should've, but honestly when I pulled it out of the box, it didn't even feel real. The thing is featherweight. I think the box it comes in weighs more honestly. It feels solid too, not the flimsy kind of lightweight. Definitely a quality piece. I can tell you that I will be using their rails from now with my other builds.

Welcome from AZ !

When you break your gun in make sure that you run the BCG WET ! Not just lubed up BUT with Mobil 1 or Càstol GTX dripping on the floor and splashing in your face and on your arms. The break in is more sever than an AR15. Dont forget to run patches through the barrel every few rounds. Good luck and have fun with your new toy.

Thanks everyone!

Range Report:

Rifle shot flawlessly from round 1! Tuned the gas system down until it wouldn't strip the next round, turned it up a few clicks from there, and it works perfectly. Put 140 rounds down the pipe. And yes, I cleaned the barrel and lubed the crap out of the bcg before heading out. The accuracy is PHENOMENAL. It'll put bullets on top of each other and in the same hole. I, on the other hand, cannot lol. Thankfully, I'm training with an ex SF sniper, and he's really helping me out with my breathing, trigger placement, and all that. The biggest struggle I'm trying to overcome is anticipation. I'm anticipating the recoil too much and tend to pull my shots. That being said, the only complaint I have is the milspec trigger. Would a two-stage help me out with that? I know I need to spend a lot of time dry firing the weapon, which he said will help a lot. 

Overall, I couldn't be happier! I would say first build is definitely a success! Quick question though, I keep missing JP by a few mins when I try calling them on torque specs for their gas block. All I did was tighten it down as much as possible with an allen key and blue loctite on the threads. Will that be enough? Before I go out again, I think I'm gonna check over all the vital bolts and double check torque, make sure everything is good to go. I designed this rifle to be my hunting/fun dmr type, so it did see some rapid fire today (which btw was a ton of fun!) 

Also, I was able to take the rifle out farther than 100 yards. Hit a 2-liter coke bottle at 300 with both shots. Hit a gallon milk jug at 400 2/3 times. But the 450ish (maybe 500, didn't range find it) was way up a hill. That one, unfortunately, took about 20 shots to hit. This is where my anticipation was really hurting me. All of those shots were landing about either a foot in front (the terrain was pretty intense) or a foot to the right. Pulled a few to the left. And a flyer over the top. But, on the last round in the mag I nailed it dead center! So I know I can do it, I just really need to work on breathing and anticipation like I said above. 

Edit: on the weight, AdamO, I think you are pretty dang close! It weighed about the same as my AR15 without the bcg in or a mag in. Unfortunately, I don't have a scale at home :( I am very curious myself what she weighs loaded down. I'll track a scale down one of these days! I think I'm gonna pick up a couple of 10 rounders for hunting season. Maybe even do the 5 round pmag mod to shave even more weight.

Edited by smith0791

That being said, the only complaint I have is the milspec trigger. Would a two-stage help me out with that? I know I need to spend a lot of time dry firing the weapon, which he said will help a lot.

Yes, a great 2-stage trigger would make a world of difference - you won't believe the difference until you shoot it for the first time. 

Dry firing that mil-spec trigger will only make you more proficient in pulling a heavy-pull, gritty trigger system.  You'll end up proficient on that trigger - as proficient as you can be on a mil-spec trigger.  In the long run, that trigger is not helping your accuracy, no matter how good you are on it.  It certainly is a hindrance for accurate shooting.

I highly recommend the Geissele SSA-E trigger (non-adjustable).  If you really, really like it, move later to the Geissele Hi-Speed DMR or Match triggers (adjustable).

Excellent write-ups so far - both are very good.  <thumbsup>

Yes, a great 2-stage trigger would make a world of difference - you won't believe the difference until you shoot it for the first time. 

Dry firing that mil-spec trigger will only make you more proficient in pulling a heavy-pull, gritty trigger system.  You'll end up proficient on that trigger - as proficient as you can be on a mil-spec trigger.  In the long run, that trigger is not helping your accuracy, no matter how good you are on it.  It certainly is a hindrance for accurate shooting.

I highly recommend the Geissele SSA-E trigger (non-adjustable).  If you really, really like it, move later to the Geissele Hi-Speed DMR or Match triggers (adjustable).

Excellent write-ups so far - both are very good.  <thumbsup>

^^^^^^^^^ WHAT 98z SAID! ^^^^^^^      :) Wash

• 1 month later...

Alright so I decided to drop the Geissele SSAE in and man that made a world of difference! also got the harris bipod on there now. This rifle has turned into quite the beast fully loaded, makes my buddy's scar s seem like a featherweight. Been to the range twice times now, first time was at a rifle range and i set the zero at 50yards. 4 shots the size of a dime, so called that good and went longer. 200 and 300 rang the 12" steel plates all day long. 400 just needed a bit of kentucky windage and then I was hitting 8 or 9 out of 10. The 12" gong at 550 is where things got difficult tho... Took a while to figure out the holdover on that, but once I did I went 3/3. Should've stopped on that lol. Went for a few more and missed, but rang it on the last round in the mag. Overall, it was a good day at the range. The other day however, I went out to a field with a few buddies and had a little competition. We set laundry detergent jugs (smaller than a milk jug) out at 200 yards and see who could hit it in the least amount. My buddy with an 03a3 (iron sights) hit it on the fourth one. Buddy with the scar and leupold setup hit it on the second try, and I hit it on the 9th try...I was extremely disappointed with myself on that one. I just couldn't seem to get the holdover's right, which confused me because shouldn't I be hitting dead on at 200 if I'm zeroed at 50? Still frustrates me thinking back on that... Anyways, loving the rifle so far! Just wishing it could be about 4lbs lighter haha.