• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

18 or 20 pre-assembled upper from Aero?

Malig8r

OK fellas, here's the skinny: Aero Precision has a sale going on for their newly released 18 & 20 inch uppers. Now I know that most argue that 18 is the sweet spot but many say you can do most anything with a stiff 16.

I have 3 lowers to build and now that the sale is going on I'm torn about which to choose; the 18 or 20? I will end up building from parts a solid 16 inch platform so that is not really a consideration at this point.

What is the purpose you ask? The 18 or 20 will be for range use, possible 600 to 800 meters and just a fun toy if you will. Don't get me wrong I will expect it to be reliable and trustworthy.

So there you have it. What say the masses?

Ballistic Advantage makes AP's .308 barrels (AP just bought a majority stake in them). BA barrels are known to be solid and accurate barrels (I've heard they make the some of the most accurate 5.45 barrels). I have one of their 5.56 barrels in my AR pistol, but I haven't shot it with match ammo for groups.

Edited by FaRKle!

Thanks for the replies. Gonna order the 20 inch barrel as soon as I get done typing this. They are having a 10% off sale which basically negates the state taxes I have to pay.

I did send them an email to inquire about if or when they would release a M-Lok version in M5. The response was that they were in the process and it should be released in the next few months. I would prefer the M-Lok over the keymod but hey I have a couple more lowers to build out right? Lol

Welp...no turning back now. The 20 inch assembled upper has just been ordered and my credit has been charged.

Thanks to everyone that provided valuable insight/input on the question. That means you alone Farkle!

Let's not have all the others that viewed this thread but not reply get all butt-hurt because I didn't thank them too ;)

Think I'm gonna "hold squat" (Army reference that "legs" won't understand)

Rappel Master reference, or Jumpmaster reference.  The Rappel Master answer is my favorite, and I used it on a girl just a few days ago...   <lmao>

STAND, TURN, BEND AT THE WAIST, AND PUT YOUR BRAKE HAND ON YOUR KEVLAR!!!

She LOVED it!!!...  :hethan:

Rappel Master reference, or Jumpmaster reference.  The Rappel Master answer is my favorite, and I used it on a girl just a few days ago...   <lmao>

STAND, TURN, BEND AT THE WAIST, AND PUT YOUR BRAKE HAND ON YOUR KEVLAR!!!

She LOVED it!!!...  :hethan:

Nicely played sir!!! :hethan:

Got the upper yesterday. Now just need to get the buffer assembly and we're ready to roll.

It seems like most 308 buffer assemblies come with a carbine buffer. What's the deal with that? I'm going to use an A2 stock in conjunction with the rifle buffer. I guess that's just not the popular "tacti-cool" thing to do these days.

Meh, never did follow the masses anyway. Have a great weekend everyone.

It seems like most 308 buffer assemblies come with a carbine buffer. What's the deal with that? I'm going to use an A2 stock in conjunction with the rifle buffer. I guess that's just not the popular "tacti-cool" thing to do these days.

I hear you on the buffer and had the same situation trying to source up my build.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...it's official... I assembled my Aero Precision lower today and now I'm the official owner of a 98% Aero Precision M5 308 rifle. The only non AP parts were the A2 stock, DPMS LR308 rifle spring and rifle buffer set.

Now I just have to get Ole girl out to the range and break her in!

Well...it's official... I assembled my Aero Precision lower today and now I'm the official owner of a 98% Aero Precision M5 308 rifle. The only non AP parts were the A2 stock, DPMS LR308 rifle spring and rifle buffer set.

Now I just have to get Ole girl out to the range and break her in!

Uuuummm...  There's STILL one thing left to do, before you shoot it.  It might have slipped your mind, brother...

:wwop: