• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bush Master BR-308 Not fully exstracting spent case

So here is my issue. I have just purchased a Bush Master BR-308.  I have put 200 rounds through it to date. Have not had many issues but one. At times the rounds dose not fully exit and stays in the receiver as the bolt carrier try's to load a new round and jams. I am shooting brass ammo 145gr. when its dose extract the round it comes out with enough force to dent the case on the forward asset. The last time it had the extract and feed issue I pulled the gun down to see what would be causing the issue. I noticed that the milling on the carrier and bolt was vary rough and was " filing " the top of the case when the carrier was in operation. I polished the carrier with a 800 grit ceramic stone to a mirror finish on all rough milling. I have not yet shot it. before I do is there anything else I should be looking at before I put it all back together.   

Sounds like it could be an Ejector or extractor problem . Disassemble the Bolt & clean & inspect . Make sure they function properly & smoothly ,  check the springs , the Ejector spring can break inside & make it weak. Extractor can have a weak spring or hang up .

You could have other things that can cause this problem , the ammo may be one , but just make sure the Bolt components are operating properly .

The dents mean nothing , brass was never meant to be used again , but the reloader in me says different .

Using rem oil at the moment. Today was the fist day of shooting. It is still dubble feeding and not ejecting the spent round. At times it is hanging out loose just chilling on top of the empty magazine. Here is a pic of the typical dubble feed. The spring looks good. The bolt lugs has impact marks where it is hitting on the back side of receiver lugs as well.

post-15901-0-95271000-1428888304_thumb.j

Copy. I will get out the oil bucket and make it wet next time I go out. She has 300 rounds through it as of today. What break in oil would you suggest. I keep spraying it dowm with rem oil but as you have pointed out it may not have the lub quality needed.

You can also have a mag problemo....when a mag gets out of tune  (mag lips) it can cause bob...(bullet on bullet)

the magpuls are plastic and dont do it often....but a metal mag can cause this very easy.... tweaking mag lips is easy if you know what you are doing...and ruin a mag if you dont   :)  Wash