• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

spotting scope options

Since I found a shooting range club with new long shooting ranges out to 1000 yds I am thinking about replacing my old Bushnell 20-60 power scope that was ripped off. I have been using some 10x50 binoculars.

I found two spotting scopes I haven't heard of.

First one is a Barska 25-75X75mm with tripod for $81 Amazon prime (shipping included)

Second one is a Bonus Konusspot 20-60X80mm from Optics Planet $217 plus shipping. Amazon has this Konusspot for$218 shipping included (prime)

Anyone here have experiences or preference for either of these scopes or think another brandwould be a better deal for the money?

Thanks,

Edited by mrmackc

I have a Vortex Viper (not HD) spotting scope 20-60x80. It was on clearance when they replaced them with the Vortex Viper HD line. Really nice scope, lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. It's doubled up as a general purpose telescope to show the kids the moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Works way better than my Meade astronomy reflector telescope.

If you look around Amazon, Alpen (spelling?) has a scope that has good reviews. I'd avoid barska though, anything advertised that can reach over 60x magnification, be weary. It's hard for purely lens-based optics to give a good image at 75x and you'll notice a lot of chromatic aberration (color fringing) at the max magnification.

Edited by shibiwan

Thanks  shibiwan.  I'll check out that Alpen at Amazon.  We had regular  pit crews and spotters and markers. That is no more most places. and  I really liked my Bushnell Sentry. Tripod sucked. 

I been thinking about rigging up a small video camera and sending wireless video back to my laptop for the long range shooting. Probably has been done before.  anyone done that?

I been thinking about rigging up a small video camera and sending wireless video back to my laptop for the long range shooting. Probably has been done before.  anyone done that?

Haven't seen it here - you would be the man...  <thumbsup>

I'd avoid barska though, anything advertised that can reach over 60x magnification, be weary. It's hard for purely lens-based optics to give a good image at 75x and you'll notice a lot of chromatic aberration (color fringing) at the max magnification.

I agree. A buddy bought me this Barska 20-125x88 spotting scope and it's a piece of junk. The eye relief is so poor you can't use it with any eye pro (so if you use it at a range they'll yell at you when you move your eyepro out of the way...). Glass quality is super poor.

Thanks  shibiwan.  I'll check out that Alpen at Amazon.  We had regular  pit crews and spotters and markers. That is no more most places. and  I really liked my Bushnell Sentry. Tripod sucked. 

There's a system on the market I have been wanting , just can't justify the cost , but if you have one already , sure beats a Spotting Scope. My 20x60x60 Barska works & has decent optic's on it , its an older one & works for what I need it for . 1K is a long way , get good glass to look out that far , I like the Video deal though , that's for sure .

Right now I just have the concept.

A high res wireless video camera with a built in  transmitter transmit a high res color image over 1500M to a receiver coupled to either a laptop, a HD tablet at the shooting bench. I would mount the camera with a small 12 Volt motorcycle- riding mower battery on a tripod like the RVers use for their Directv dish. Set the camera about 15 feet to the front of the target at a 60 degree angle.  I wish I had the video sense to pick and chose the parts needed.

I found a surveillance camera transmitter  for outdoor use and receiver that will transmit a video signal over 1500M down to 100 feet. That setup would cost around $600 without a laptop, which I already have, or a HD tablet like my Kindle Fire H.D.

Maybe some of our younger shooters could help bring the concept to fruitaion.  I don't want to make anything off of it, just make it easier for long distant shooters to monitor their targets.

I don't know anyone that can use optics to see .308 bullet holes  in paper out to 700M, I sure as heck can't.

Edited by mrmackc

Just a thought if you shoot with a buddy use face time on two cell phones if you have a connection where you shoot? Set up a cell at a range you can see with one phone. Then the other end is a screen near you? Thanks to my smart friend!

Yes that is good to do!  I haven't gotten into cell phones to use their full potential, after all I am an old codger, a brown shoe Marine that had to convert to being a black shoe Marine.

I'll need to visit my 16 year old grandson, he talks way over my head on smart phones, I pads, I phones etc. I only recently got a tracfone with a camera.  your idea is good. It is seldom that I am able to have a friend go shoot and coach.  If I had ever thought I'd live this long, I would have taken more risks.

We just got a new Tahoe and I still am having a heck of a time getting the WIFI hotspot set up so I can read my email and surf the www.

Thanks,

Edited by mrmackc

Hey Unforgiven! That is exactly what I was thinking about, but better. That is one hell of a good price too!

Thanks for finding it. That is just one more thang I won't have to worry about inventing.

Thanks,

I think I'll take a nap.

Edited by mrmackc

I went to the Bullseycamera.com website and was really impressed. The Ammocam long range one looks to be top notch. The software seems incredible. I think they would be good candidates sponsors for this site. You can download a manual and instructions for using their software app. Good job Unforgiven!