• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Zs Aero Precision Rifle

98Z5V

***Bottom to top, bolt stop area: Armalite part is 0.590” high.  Aero part is 0.520” high. Might have some work to do here, shaving down the Armalite…

Surgery complete!  Got the Armalite 10B bolt stop down to 0.530" bottom to top, and she functions like a champ. 

The Aero bolt stop had that little angle on the lower outer edge, so I chopped the Armalite in a similar fashion - zero need to do that.  I also shorted the end of the Armalite to match the length of the Aero - zero need to do that either.  I should have checked the thing in the rifle for those areas, but I didn't.  Would have saved me time.  I did install it, but at 0.590" high, I couldn't even pull the bolt carrier back - it hit. 

It clears now at 0.530", that's for damn sure.  Glad I did it.  Pics coming up in a few.

Also tossed in the Armalite AR10A-pattern magazine catch...

Pics:

post-7-0-29620700-1433292893_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-71024500-1433292897_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-02409700-1433292902_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-96888600-1433292905_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-79985400-1433292909_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-31886600-1433292913_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-95961000-1433292916_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been picking up parts to build up the second one, and figured I'd try something out.  For the second one (nowhere near built yet), I selected the Armalite AR10 Carbine receiver extension, EA1095 spring and the AR10 Carbine buffer (an AR15 Carbine H3 buffer is exactly what it is).  Swapped those extension parts over to this running rifle - guess what?  No bolt face overtravel, way beyond the bolt catch...

Re-measured the internal depth on the AP parts and receiver extension, and came up with 7.100" again.  Should be 7.000", just like an AR15 Carbine receiver extension.  Short little buffer still comes in at 2.504", which is right where it should be.  The spring was weird as hell.  10.75" long (relaxed length), 26 coils, wire diameter 0.070".  Fuckin' weird spring... 

Overall suggestion: Don't hesitate to build an Aero Precision 308 set - just don't use their carbine receiver extension kit.

I'll shoot it on Thirsty Thursday and see how she functions, with the Armalite parts.  I don't predict any problems.

Edited by 98Z5V

When I called Aero about that fukin upper,I also spoke to Tech about reciever extenstion and he said no one has had issue. <dontknow>  So I can just change it out with an AR15 tube ? That's what I'll do.RRA has a sale going on.Brother Spartan doesn't seem to have any issue's not sure if he has factory tube.

I never called them about an issue, because I didn't buy the parts from them.  I bought that lower already built, from a member here, but that was specifically listed in his parts list - hell, we helped him build that rifle.  That receiver extension is too deep, and that fuckin' spring is weird.  It doesn't even go (belong) in an AR15. 

Brother, I'd say just buy some quality mil-spec AR15 carbine receiver extension, and the Armalite EA1095 spring, and run it.  the buffer they have is good - measures out, and it's a heavy little fucker.

For them to say no one has had an issue - well, maybe nobody has told them that there's an issue.  I sure as hell had an issue with it, though.  <dontknow>

Edited by 98Z5V

The tang on the front is wider, sturdier - but doesn't have the reach.  Wasn't locking the bolt back on the last round.  That was consistent across steel DPMS mags, Pmag LR20s, and Lancer L7 mags.  Never locked the bolt back on the Lancers or Pmags not even once, and would get caught by the DPMS about 1/2 the time.

Won't work reliably in the AP sets.

Plus, you have to fit it for the AP set.  It's not fun to fit it.

Edited by 98Z5V

98... you're reaffirming what I've heard about the Aero and PSA receivers being the same, at least dimensionally.  My PSA lower uses a AR15 buffer-tube with a 308 buffer and weight IIRC

I know the take-down pin is all PSA........ AR15 width, 308 diameter

Guess I really need to sit down and document the PSA/Aero lower differences as compared to the DPMS and AR-308 drawings.