• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Seekins Precision Build

jrtmasp

Well I finally got off my @ss and started making some progress with an expected finish time around April '16. That's largely due to the bank account depleting quality parts I plan on putting into this little monster. I'm starting with a Seekins Precision SP223 lower and their IRMT-R upper. This is what I have as tentative ideas on some of the rest:

*I'm staying clear of the shiny look for BCG and barrel, etc...

Seekins Precision MCSR M-Lok Rail System 12”

Seekins Precision Low Mass Bolt Carrier Group

Magpul CTR stock and MOE or MIAD Magpul grip

Clint Buffer

LPK and buffer tube will probably be standard leading manufacture quality stuff but I haven’t decided on the brand.

Undecided for a charging handle

Undecided for a 14.5” barrel medium weight match grade barrel

Undecided for iron sights

Undecided for a comp or brake

This will likely be my AR15 "Eleanor" so I'm not putting any temporary low quality stuff in. I will buy the handguard within a month or so and send the handguard, receiver group set, and maybe a few other smaller parts out for cerakoting. I envision a black and either OD green or gray combo look. There are a few other colors I'm thinking of so I'm not jumping the proverbial gun just yet. Unforunately, the time lapse in buying the upper and lower receiver parts has made this color thing a must for me because the anodizing is "off" but that's also the super anal retentive side of me too.

I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thank you

post-13504-0-07773800-1435512983_thumb.j

post-13504-0-77204100-1435513024_thumb.j

Edited by jrtmasp

Pickup a MechArmor Defense CH. I think the forum discount is still available. I have a couple and they are sweet!

Thank you, I decided to buy it for that great price. I was definitely considering a larger charging handle anyways and initially put a BMCGunfighter CH high on my list. I like the look of the raptor but thought it's a bit too compact for what I wanted.

Edited by jrtmasp

With the buffer, what are recommendations for it? I used a heavy buffer on my AR308 and love it. I know Clint has them for AR15s but is it a bit of an overkill? I don't want to deal with the typical springing noise of a standard buffer/spring in this but was also considering a JP Silent Captured Spring.

With the buffer, what are recommendations for it? I used a heavy buffer on my AR308 and love it. I know Clint has them for AR15s but is it a bit of an overkill? I don't want to deal with the typical springing noise of a standard buffer/spring in this but was also considering a JP Silent Captured Spring.

Depends on the gas port size and location on your barrel. Once you figure out which barrel you're getting then we can look at buffers. It'll either be an H or H2 buffer though, and if going A5 system, A5H2.

Depends on the gas port size and location on your barrel. Once you figure out which barrel you're getting then we can look at buffers. It'll either be an H or H2 buffer though, and if going A5 system, A5H2.

I hear ya. My knowledge of that is limited. I haven't finalized what type of barrel yet. I like a few of the Noveske barrels but there are plenty out there that are about as good or better for cheaper. The only definite is I want to keep it at 14.5. I won't ever be running this suppressed so that makes gas block and some smaller choices easier.

• 2 months later...

All I can say is this lower receiver is an absolute pain in the F-ing @ss to complete.  The billet design allowed Seekins to over-engineer this puppy beyond belief.  Every time I thought I'd be able to complete something easily, BAM, it made me feel like I was all thumbs.  My main issues came with the rear take-down pin and trigger install.  There are these bizarre tiny allen wrench (.50) screws all over the place.  I remember my Mega Arms and other standard lowers going much smoother. Let's just say, these little screws prevented fast installs for those two parts that are usually completed rather quick.  In the end, it's all good because this AR15 looks insanely beautiful.  I absolutely love it so far.  Kudos to Magpul with their 45 PRO offsets too.  They seem to be better constructed than I originally would have given them credit for.  I'm not as much of a fan of Seekins matching ambi safety selector.  It's longer than a standard one but my thumb easily slips over it.  It's nice but doesn't compare to Battle Arms BADASS selectors.  Now I just have to buy the barrel, buffer assembly, brake, and handguard.  

Seekins Build.jpg

Edited by jrtmasp

Glen Seekins builds some very, very nice stuff.  I have a crap-ton of it all combined onto one rifle.  It's awesome - good job on that, brother - you'll love it.

Thank you, now to just wait to see which goes on sale first...a Noveske Afghan 14.5 or LaRue Stealth 14.5 barrel.  Those two are still the front runners.  My decision is not set in stone but I like what they offer for the price without going completely custom.  

Secsy. SWFA had some great deals on rebranded seekins receiver sets. That stock looks way better with the extended pad on it. Gives it some substance.

Thanks, I loved the beefier look too.  It definitely wasn't to reduce the recoil.  I'm a big fan of the friction lock and overall look of the CTR stocks.  

I might have to change the Magpul PROs to my AR308 due to there being no room to move the rear sight.  It's rather long when folded and the billet upper locks it into a single spot.  Fortunately, I don't see the charging handle clearance being an issue.  I'm a righty anyways even though its ambi.  I doubt I'll have problems zeroing it even with this problem.  The handguard will either be the Seekins 12 inch or 15 inch which depends on the length of the flash hider or comp I go with. I wish they had a 14.

Edited by jrtmasp

Way to go brother J.Hope you and family are are well. :)

Thanks, everything is going well. Hopefully all is well on your end too. Basement cleaning is helping find new little add-ons I forgot I bought last year. I just have to keep it as simple as possible before it begins looking like a Christmas tree.

I'm nearly sold on one of these two scopes, one being much much easier on the wallet:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-r-patrol-illuminated-riflescope-1-25-4x20mm.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-6-1-6x20mm-illuminated-reticle-rifle-scope.html

*Unless there is a massive sale, I might have to settle for the cheaper one for the time being until I get the 10 other guns I want.

• 1 month later...