• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rear shooting bag

Toolndie7

What are some of your favorite types and or styles of shooting bags? other than an OD sock with beach sand. Front, rear all around. Im trying to improve my shooting by learning to shoot off a bag, Ive been searching around here and havent been able to find much other than "range bags" Ive been playing around making a couple different shapes for a rear bag filled with some poly beads. So far so good but would like to hear some thoughts from the more experienced shooters here. I think being able to shoot utilizing different methods is good practice.

I've used a lead bag of shot wrapped in a crown royal bag! But it's as heavy as lead! 2lbs in the range bag adds up apon entry but exit I'm atleast 3 lbs lighter! I resort to my fist and shoulder? I thought you made your own buttstalk post?

These are what I use .The From is a Caldwel & its adj. I forget the name of the rear bag , was not cheap , made of leather & filled with sand . I move it for bet level & adj. the front , to zero on target point .

attachicon.gifDSCN2009.JPG

Do you use that front rest to get you close and then tweak the rear bag after each shot?

That seems like a decent price for that whole set, might just have to grab them next time.

I've used a lead bag of shot wrapped in a crown royal bag! But it's as heavy as lead! 2lbs in the range bag adds up apon entry but exit I'm atleast 3 lbs lighter! I resort to my fist and shoulder? I thought you made your own buttstalk post?

Crown royal bag <laughs> thats awesome.  Yeah I made my own monopod but I would also like to get comfortable shooting off a bag.

Thanks guys

This is the Bag & comes unfilled , I set the rear bag for sight/scope eye alignment & adj. the front adjuster to get on the spot on the target aiming point . Sometimes I will adj. the rear bag because of recoil & i usually have my hand on it anyway , so its a quick adjustment , if needed .

http://www.natchezss.com/protektor-model-custom-rabbit-ear-rear-bag.html

https://www.triadtactical.com/FTW-rear-bag.html

https://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

Both are very good bags. I have abused the Red Tac for years and it has served me well (very well). I prefer it with the 308ar. Both can be thrown on a barricade, tucked under your arm for standing sling shots, put in a hog saddle, placed under a knee......I mean they are durable. Throw a grimlock on them and they will be with you. The red tac can make some noise when you are running.

I have an old piece of an army duffle bag filled with beans that was my go to for the bolt gun. I have worked with guys who did the home brew bags....some worked well, some didn't.

Edited by StainTrain

I do a lot of handload testing & I know the Lead Sled type , strapped down rifle rest will show grouping better to some , but I don't want to take the Human element out of the equation in shooting , so I use sand filled bags for a stable platform in testing . I also believe that a rifle shoots different when it is strapped down & unmovable , JMHO  <dontknow>

I also believe that a rifle shoots different when it is strapped down & unmovable , JMHO  <dontknow>

So I'm not the only one then! I noticed that when zeroing at 200 yards I would need a click or two when moving from the lead sled to the bags and bipod. The sled does help me avoid those fifth round flyers that ruin a wonderful start to a group though!

• 3 months later...