• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite

beeks

ArmaLite basically had three different types of triggers.

Military style single stage trigger

Tactical two stage

National Match two stage

The military single stage is just that. One stage and usually about 10 up to 12 lbs pull.

The Tactical and National Match two stage were harder to tell apart. But usually you could see by the setting of the disconnector spring setting.

OR...

If it was already in a rifle, the National Match would be tuned to about 7 1/2 lbs on the low end up to 9 lbs. and the Tactical was anywhere from 8 to 10.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/beeks81/IMG_3161_zpsgwr4gjcz.jpg

I bought this 2 stage trigger used from a guy that said it came in a Armalite rifle.  He said he didn't like the 2 stage so he replaced it with a single stage and it's been sitting in a drawer for a few years.  That's all he knew about it. 

I stuck it in a receiver and it feels nice, but stiff on the lightest setting.  The second stage definitely has more travel than I'm used too.

If it was already in a rifle, the National Match would be tuned to about 7 1/2 lbs on the low end up to 9 lbs. and the Tactical was anywhere from 8 to 10.

That surprises me, I would have guessed my tactical at around 5 or 6 pounds. It is smooth and crisp so I've never felt the need to swap it like I did with the junk triggers Sig put out, they were just intolerable!

At the time, the boss wanted to keep on the safe side.

NRA competition lowest setting was 7 1/2 lbs. and thought anything less than that could create problems.   

Someone should have told Geissele that .  <laughs>   I can see the lawyers having a say in that decision for a company , I think all factory Triggers are set high for that reason & there may be some logic to it .

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/beeks81/IMG_3161_zpsgwr4gjcz.jpg

I bought this 2 stage trigger used from a guy that said it came in a Armalite rifle.  He said he didn't like the 2 stage so he replaced it with a single stage and it's been sitting in a drawer for a few years.  That's all he knew about it. 

I stuck it in a receiver and it feels nice, but stiff on the lightest setting.  The second stage definitely has more travel than I'm used too.

That's on the center setting, and there's room to tweak it more - even if you changed it from what's in that pic you linked.

Tech Notes_2015_Tech Note 68, Tuning the ArmaLite Tactical Two Stage Trigger.pdf

They don't call it the "National Match" in the description but do in the link;

https://armalite.com/shop/ar-10-a-series-lower-parts-kit-with-national-match-trigger/

They have one for the B series as well, not sure if it is the same as the old national match but I'm not seeing the adjustment notches that both two stage triggers had in the past, could be an editing error with the picture or they may have changed styles.

• 5 weeks later...

I had to take quite a bit off.  I haven't shot the rifle yet, but after dry firing, I have to say that it feels an awful lot like my SSA now.   Maybe even a little less spring tension, but pretty close.  I have it on the lightest setting.  I can't wait to get out and put some rounds through it.  Thanks for the help fellow riflemen!

Edited by beeks