• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JT's Matrix Build

jtallen83

Any reason this Aero M5 carbine buffer kit will not work on my Matrix build?

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-carbine-buffer-kit.html

I was going with the Armalite kit but this is half the cost with the Labor Day sale going on. 

Hey JT, I was going with a JP product on my AP build, but tell ya what, get it and give it a shot, I'm sure Tom will walk ya thru it, but if it isn't a fit I will bail ya out and buy it from you.

Its a no lose proposition, luv those!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the Aero M5 buffer kit and the rest of the parts that should get the rifle running;

Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Two StageTrigger, Small Pin .154"

Geissele Super Gas Block (decided the adjustable could wait if needed)

Bravo Company / Vltor 7.62mm 308 Mod 3 Charging Handle

MagPul MOE+ Pistol Grip FDE

Magpul MOE Slim-Line Carbine Stock FDE

Yankee Hill Machine Rifle Length Black Gas Tube

Hell yeah, brother.  Don't pay ANY attention to the G instructions on the Super Gas Block - they'll state that you can't mill it/drill it for the permanent mount with coil pin - with a hand drill.  Yes, you can.  I've done two that way, and they're flawless.  Talk to me before you do it, though.

I just got that same buttstock for my Matrix setup - it's pretty damn nice.  Take a peek inside the stock, down the tube-hole, when you get it - they made this thing right.

P1040487_zps2cgxyjrb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

The more I looked at it the more I liked the Slim Line stock, angle on the butt, solid center for extra whacking durability, and the cheek weld looks very similar to the ACS. I'm hoping it locks up good and tight. 

I gathered I can run the Super gas block without pinning it for awhile, still holding out hope I can collect a stamp...........if not the next legislative session then I'll dust off and oil Dad's drill press. With the sale at Primary Arms the Geissele block wasn't much more than the other comparables.

Once I get things together and running right I have to decide if I'm still going to CeraKote it FDE or just stick with the furniture for color?????????

I've got a 4 day weekend next weekend so I'm hoping to to get the barrel warm by a week from Labor day. 

I like the matrix idea.

I will have to give them strong consideration on my next build, which will probably be that 338 Fed I wanted.

On this current 308 build I went with the K.I.S.S. theory given the lack of 308AR Mil-Spec datum & my lack of 308AR experience, so I bought from what is essentially my local vendor aside from Seekins, which is Aero Precision.

Edited by GreyGoose

Seekins Precision and Aero Precision have nothing to do with each other, man - two completely separate, independent companies, and neither one makes any parts for the other.

LOL, I know that Tom, they are just AR manufacturers located in the Pacific Northwest and I am right between the two.

Hence me saying they are "my local vendors". ;-)

I own many Seekins products and visit Katie and Glen from time to time, the day they finally released the forged upper I was on their doorstep!.Haha.

I work in the Puget Sound market from time to time and look forward to visiting the AP plant and getting to know them.

(BTW this M5 receiver set locks up tight and appears to be very well made.)

Got most parts installed or at least test fit. 

100_5217.thumb.JPG.c38bf0590310aab1a1b54100_5213.thumb.JPG.42533bc7285e4fc258252

Love the fit of the SL stock, solid lock up and no wiggle. The bolt locks back on an empty p-mag and the dummy rounds hand cycle without a hitch. Had to let the bolt fly a couple times the first try but after that in went into battery just fine. The only thing that stopped me from finishing today was my cheap ass vise:( At 30FtLbs on the torque wrench the receiver wanted to move in the jaws so rather than risk dinging it up I'll get it set in Dad's patent 1920's large bench vise tomorrow.

The 30 lbs got me here so I hope it doesn't cause a problem getting the handguard lined up within the specs.

100_5218.thumb.JPG.4abeeb45a668dbac12949

62 is still good, brother - sling lead!  I love it!!!

Here's what I do - I set it at 30, hit it 3 times hard at 30 and see where I'm at on the 3rd time, kinda "how far do I have to go?..."  Then I set the wrench at 80, and set the barrel nut in place.  If it seats and I "don't click," then it's good.  I don't worry about what the specific torque was, as long as it didn't click on 80...

Edited by 98Z5V

I had that sucker on and off at least a dozen times checking if there was a starting point for the threads that would make a difference. I ended up doing something similar, had it set at 55 but kept nudging some to line it up then kept adjusting the wrench till I found the click at 62 so I'd know where I was for future reference.

I'm running into a similar issue with the brake using the crush washer, I need a full 90 degrees to line it up and the crush washer doesn't seem to want to go that far. I think I'll get a pack of shims for that then tap the hole so I can lock it in place with a set screw, it's just gonna have to be a little cock-eyed for the test fire.

I've seen some shiity .30-cal crush washers recently, but...    a GOOD crush washer has 540 degrees of rotation.  1.5 turns all the way around.  DSG sells the good ones, if in doubt.  With a good crush washer, you shouldn't have an issue lining up a muzzle device.

I must have a bad washer then, I thought I remembered getting 180 out of the one that came on my Flaming Pig. I wasn't sure if the small amount of shoulder on the barrel would make a difference to a crush washer, the thicker portion of the washer does not have anything to bear on.

Is a good crush washer better than the shim system? 

Just tried to plug in the last part, a "308 AR" specific forward assist that advertised a "longer pawl". It did assist the bolt by hitting the shoulder but it also prevented the bolt from moving back past it.......

Think I'll just put a plug in it but for now it is going to get test fired without filling the hole, gotta get to the range today!

Hey jt...a almost made a post about this! I used a normal milspec fwd assist and it did the same thing. Carrier wouldn't move back. My solution was to just pop the pin out of the claw on the FA and take it apart. The rear section makes a plug and doesn't protrude into the cavity. No need to buy anything else.