• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JT's Matrix Build

jtallen83

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

The only issue I have with the Lapping tool is , that there is absolutely no way you can keep Lapping compound out of the Upper Receivers Barrel socket . While Lapping the Flange face , some Compound will be pushed in the Upper Receiver & also Lapping that area .  but the Loctite should fill & secure it , if any fitment issue .

The Pacific Tool and Gauge lapping tool has a step in front of the face portion that leaves room for some compound without contacting the inside of the upper. Between that and the very sticky nature of the Wheeler compound it avoids any lapping of the inside of the receiver extension, I didn't see any evidence of the surface being disturbed there and the tool fit very nice, no side to side play at all.

If this doesn't help then I'm calling the barrel junk, X-Caliber did not exactly instill me with confidence.

ar-15-upper-receiver-lapping-tool.jpg.3a9b6369e59ad66aa891e6bb7cceb73d.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a couple boxes sent downrange today. So far so good, 10 rounds to get the scope re-zeroed, it had moved 18 inches left after the lapping, low spot on the receiver was the right side so this makes sense, elevation was only two clicks high. Shot two five round groups that did 1 inch then two 10 round groups at a good clip, they stayed inside 1 1/2 inch except for one round and that was all me. I think when I get the mirage issue solved I will be able to tighten the groups up a good bit, amazing how much distortion the heat of the suppressor creates versus just the barrel, 30x on the scope doesn't help I guess. I hope to get out some more this week and make sure these few groups are not a fluke.

25 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Got a couple boxes sent downrange today. So far so good, 10 rounds to get the scope re-zeroed, it had moved 18 inches left after the lapping, low spot on the receiver was the right side so this makes sense, elevation was only two clicks high. Shot two five round groups that did 1 inch then two 10 round groups at a good clip, they stayed inside 1 1/2 inch except for one round and that was all me. I think when I get the mirage issue solved I will be able to tighten the groups up a good bit, amazing how much distortion the heat of the suppressor creates versus just the barrel, 30x on the scope doesn't help I guess. I hope to get out some more this week and make sure these few groups are not a fluke.

What distance were you shooting? Did wind add to the 18 inches shift ? WOW that seems a lot of lateral change. Do you use a level while zeroing?

4 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

What distance were you shooting? Did wind add to the 18 inches shift ? WOW that seems a lot of lateral change. Do you use a level while zeroing?

100 yards, no wind, I'm sure the zero change was due to the material removed from the face of the receiver extension causing the barrel to mount up differently, it was a good bit of material to get it all even. I had removed the scope mount once before and it returned to zero almost perfectly. The mount has an integral level, matched the vertical crosshair to a 4 foot plumb line at 100 yards and everything looked good.

23 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

The Pacific Tool and Gauge lapping tool has a step in front of the face portion that leaves room for some compound without contacting the inside of the upper. Between that and the very sticky nature of the Wheeler compound it avoids any lapping of the inside of the receiver extension, I didn't see any evidence of the surface being disturbed there and the tool fit very nice, no side to side play at all.

If this doesn't help then I'm calling the barrel junk, X-Caliber did not exactly instill me with confidence.

ar-15-upper-receiver-lapping-tool.jpg.3a9b6369e59ad66aa891e6bb7cceb73d.jpg

Now thats a good tool , might have to look into that one . For 308AR 's, right ? 

18" , WTF , thats an astounding number for a correction for facing the Barrel face on the Receiver  , makes me wonder how much the Loctite helped , if any .

Very good results .:thumbup:

They have the lapping tool for both 308 AR and AR 15;

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/625-ar-tools

I'm heading out now to sling some more lead and see if yesterday's results will hold up.

edit: Damn rain and wind shut me down for a fair test session, had to be content with slinging a couple boxes of 300BO and packing up

Edited by jtallen83
Fooking rain!

15 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

100 yards, no wind, I'm sure the zero change was due to the material removed from the face of the receiver extension causing the barrel to mount up differently, it was a good bit of material to get it all even. I had removed the scope mount once before and it returned to zero almost perfectly. The mount has an integral level, matched the vertical crosshair to a 4 foot plumb line at 100 yards and everything looked good.

Okay I saw the mention of lapping, didn't know it wasn't the rings being lapped.

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

They have the lapping tool for both 308 AR and AR 15;

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/625-ar-tools

I'm heading out now to sling some more lead and see if yesterday's results will hold up.

edit: Damn rain and wind shut me down for a fair test session, had to be content with slinging a couple boxes of 300BO and packing up

I will order both Lapping tools , didn't know anyone had them configured that way . Seems the ones I have seen use the Upper Receivers Barrel Extension area as a bearing / alignment area.

The last two times I have wanted to go to the range , we had 35-40 mph gusting winds & I need to sight in two rifles , not a good environment for sighting in.

On 10/6/2017 at 0:23 PM, survivalshop said:

The last two times I have wanted to go to the range , we had 35-40 mph gusting winds & I need to sight in two rifles , not a good environment for sighting in.

Brother, you need to stop shooting during a hurricane.  Wait... you don't have a choice in that, lately...

Okay, new thought - you need to move to where you DON'T HAVE hurricanes.  Or tornadoes. Or any other weird poop. Lemme think about this for a minute...

I got it!  Get your as$ out here in AZ, with ME!  I don't deal with that shiit, brother.  You don't need to, either.  I'm just sayin'... :thumbup::lmao:

Let's just sit inside, in the indoor bar, from July through September, and think about load development.  If we have an AC equipped loading room, we're safe during the summer. Load away. For the rest of the year.

We can make this happen.  And we can rescue you from Mother Nature's Yearly Ass-Raping of your state...   :laffs:

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Brother, you need to stop shooting during a hurricane.  Wait... you don't have a choice in that, lately...

Okay, new thought - you need to move to where you DON'T HAVE hurricanes.  Or tornadoes. Or any other weird poop. Lemme think about this for a minute...

I got it!  Get your as$ out here in AZ, with ME!  I don't deal with that shiit, brother.  You don't need to, either.  I'm just sayin'... :thumbup::lmao:

Let's just sit inside, in the indoor bar, from July through September, and think about load development.  If we have an AC equipped loading room, we're safe during the summer. Load away. For the rest of the year.

We can make this happen.  And we can rescue you from Mother Nature's Yearly Ass-Raping of your state...   :laffs:

:laffs:I kinda like date rape !    

Its been over ten years since it was this bad , I can live with that . Being able to shoot lang range would be nice , but I have family here also . Besides we can't have everyone on this Forum from there :lmao:

I still think there is some sort of heat issue with the barrel. Spent the morning shooting 5 round groups and waiting for everything to cool off, somewhat. First shot is an inch or so low from the zero but the following shots always head higher to the zero point and a little above. The shots mostly string verticle, a couple groups followed the centerline exactly. If I limited the cool off time a bit the group would be tighter, in the 1 MOA and under range, but by the 4th and 5th shot on those groups the mirage was starting to interfere. If I was lucky and caught a breeze then it didn't bother me as much and the group would be on the better side. At 30x this scope is twice as powerful as anything else I have shot so I have some adjusting to do there. Anxious to see what I can do when I have a wrap for the suppressor and can keep shooting once it has heated up.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

I still think there is some sort of heat issue with the barrel. Spent the morning shooting 5 round groups and waiting for everything to cool off, somewhat. First shot is an inch or so low from the zero but the following shots always head higher to the zero point and a little above. The shots mostly string verticle, a couple groups followed the centerline exactly. If I limited the cool off time a bit the group would be tighter, in the 1 MOA and under range, but by the 4th and 5th shot on those groups the mirage was starting to interfere. If I was lucky and caught a breeze then it didn't bother me as much and the group would be on the better side. At 30x this scope is twice as powerful as anything else I have shot so I have some adjusting to do there. Anxious to see what I can do when I have a wrap for the suppressor and can keep shooting once it has heated up.

Do you have a Bore Scope you can use or have someone to take it to, to look at the Bore ? Burr from drilling the Gas Port out , could be folded over in the Bore , or you can see just how good or bad the Bore is , if it is at all .

Some Barrels , just don't shoot well , also .

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

Do you have a Bore Scope you can use or have someone to take it to, to look at the Bore ? Burr from drilling the Gas Port out , could be folded over in the Bore , or you can see just how good or bad the Bore is , if it is at all .

Some Barrels , just don't shoot well , also .

No borescope available without a healthy charge. I'd think any burr from drilling would be shot away by now, sure looks nice and shiny with naked eye and a flashlight.

Could also be I just don't shoot well :embarrassed:

This makes me want to get some sort of precision bolt gun.

47 minutes ago, sketch said:

I did withe the ruger and it has been eye opening?I call it throwing money at it.. 

Can't buy a Ruger, swore I'd never give them a dime, but then they didn't have a precision rifle then.........

Might try to get a deal on an AR31 with a 24 inch barrel since I already have a pile of mags that work for it.

2 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

What do you think of the 6.5 CM AR upper bro ??

Not enough draw to get me off my caliber inventory, good match 308 is so much cheaper. Maybe when I have time to reload I'll delve into other calibers......that 260 from LaRue has had me day dreaming on several occasions.

11 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

what do you know about that .300 Norma ?? 

Just what I've read, doesn't turn me on, barrel burner, expensive ammo, long action. maybe with military acceptance the ammo will be cheaper but then that never happen for the 338 Lapua. I think if I were going for something in that ballpark I would just stick with the 300 win mag but again those overbore cartridges just don't do much for me, I'll skip a few notches and go with 50 BMG.

18 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I'd think any burr from drilling would be shot away by now

Not necessarily . It doesn't take much to screw up a bullets flight path . 

Is there any way there could be something putting pressure on the Barrel , where it touches or restricts the Barrel from free floating when warm or cold . Just grasping at straws here .