• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robo finally did it!

Robocop1051

GAWDAMN!!! It took me long enough. I grabbed two more mags (6 total) while I was at Cabelas last week.

Crazy thing.... I removed the internal floorplate from inside the magazine and was able to fit 15 inside. I'm going to play around with one of the mags and see if I can reliably overload them (Normally they hold 14)

Sig P227 TacOps .45ACP (Alongside my P220 Elite Carry Stainless)

20150831_143741.thumb.jpg.27228e1cc4726920150831_143753.thumb.jpg.5a9890b7a4bb1f20150831_143508.thumb.jpg.89230909561e59

I'm ditching the stupid "shoe" thing on the bottom of the mag. I'm going to try to replace it with a Magpul SMG "Mag Pull" and see if that helps any.

I'm a little miffed at the plastic mag bottoms. I'm a mag tosser during reloads, and a little rough on my gear. When empty, the mags don't feel like they'll take much damage when tossed. However, if I accidentally drop a full mag with 14 rounds of 230gr .45's, I'm wondering if the plastic will hold up against concrete or a rock.20150831_160713.thumb.jpg.4a3dc62736fc5c20150831_160739.thumb.jpg.c9048bf36a2037

I'd like to point out that this is a combined 3,220 grains of hollow pointed lead, loaded into a single magazine. With a total of 6 magazines, and one in the pipe, that comes to a whopping 19,550 grains of hot, plant-their-dick-in-the-dirt, expanding, day-ruining, chaotic, mayhem!

A 1 oz. 12 gauge slug is equal to 437.5 grains.... Just sayin'

• 2 weeks later...

My new magazine base plate inserts came in the mail today.

Here's a comparison between the P226/P229 (American version) and the P227 inserts.

I installed the part easily. Although, I did have to slap the mag a few times to get the little lock/nipple to fit properly. Once in place it wasn't budging. 

I was able to fit 15 rounds of .45ACP with very little effort. The mag on the left is unmodified with 14 rounds. The mag on the right has the new insert and 15 rounds. If you look at the mag on the right, in the #14 hole, you can see the top of round #15.

I'll try this out at the range next week. If it works, I have enough inserts to finish off all my mags. Just hand cycling seems to be working just fine.

Even with 15 rounds in the modified mag, I was still able to push down slightly  (maybe 1/16") on the top round. I was also able to slam a fully loaded mag into the magwell on a closed (in battery) slide.... it was definitely stiffer than the 14 round mag, and a deliberate (some force) reload was required.