• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ares Armor 308/7.62x51 barrel

Malig8r

During the Labor Day sales, Ares Armor had a 16" 308/7.62x51 barrel on sale. There were some questions about the listing because the title listed it as 308 but the barrel is stamped 7.62x51 Nato. Well, for $108 delivered to my door I had to buy it. But it also got me thinking about the possible differences so I did a little research and found an article over at the Fulton Armory website which I will paste a portion of below:

"What's the Difference between .308 Winchester & 7.62x51mm NATO?by Clint McKee and Walt Kuleckdumb question i alway thought these 2 ammos where interchangeable but some have told me otherwise whats the story??? jim

Hi, Jim,

This is a perennial topic, kinda like ".45 vs. 9mm" or "Best Guns & Loads for Deer."

They are not the same.

They are the same.

They are not the same, 'cause the .308 Win was released by Winchester several years before the Army standarized the T64E3 as the 7.62MM. You'll get an endless discussion of pressure specs, endless because SAAMI and the Ordnance Dep't measured pressure in different, unrelateable ways. Howver, the chamber drawings are different.

They are the same, 'cause nobody (and Clint's been looking for many years!) makes 7.62MM ammo that isn't to the .308 "headspace" dimension spec. So 7.62MM ammo fits nicely into .308 chambers, as a rule.

But in some 7.62MM rifles the chambers are long (to the 7.62MM military spec), notably the Navy Garands with 7.62MM barrels. Thus, using commercial ammo in such a rifle is not a good idea; you need stronger brass. Use military ammo or the best commercial only, e.g., Federal Gold Medal Match.

Most of the time it's a distinction without a difference. But if you intend to shoot .308 commercial in a military arm chambered for 7.62MM, first check the headspace with .308 commercial gauges first. You may get a surprise.

Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory webmaster"

The rest of the article can be found on the Fulton Armory website under the Faq section. So, after reading this, I headed over to Brownell's and picked up a set of Clymer 308 headspace gauges. When I get the barrel delivered I will check the headspace between it and my 308 Aero Precision bolt to report back the findings.

Now to wait for the delivery...I hate that part...lol

Ok, so I'm tracking this package and it shows that it has been "tendered to military agent". So, I called Aeres Armor to see what the heck that's all about. I live in Washington & last track was in San Diego to a military agent.

They tell me they aren't sure but they are sure the right shipping label is on the package. Told me to wait and see what happens & that it might be being shipped by the military to Washington. 

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? 

That's not the address that you gave them, though...  right?...

Lol nope... so I just checked the status and it shows having arrived at Federal Way USPS facility tonight. Man, don't ask me what the hell this was all about but it should be delivered tomorrow. And yes, the tracking still shows that it was tendered to a military agent in San Diego at 7:37 this morning & arrived at Federal Way at 19:57 tonight. 

And nope, not in trouble with any agencies either!

My 300 blackout which they paid me to take will be here tomorrow,but its still in San Diego tonite...so sez tracking...how can it get here that fast?....lol....all parts waiting   smile.gif      Wash

Damn...arrived Dallas just now.....be bustin caps in the alley tomorrow  

Edited by washguy

Just remember , you get what you pay for in a Barrel .

I hear ya brother. I know it's not a Criterion or Faxon barrel but I know a couple people that have purchased Ares Armor uppers & they shoot well. I am thinking that they are clearing out inventory, to what end I am not sure. Like I said previously, for $108 delivered, I'll give it whirl and report to everyone here the results.

Barrel was delivered today and it's marked as 308 1:10. I'll have to wait until Friday to check the headspace because that's when UPS will deliver the gauges from Brownells.

I think their website person is just not as accurate as we would like them to be or at least a little confusing in their description on the webpage.

I hear ya brother. I know it's not a Criterion or Faxon barrel but I know a couple people that have purchased Ares Armor uppers & they shoot well. I am thinking that they are clearing out inventory, to what end I am not sure. Like I said previously, for $108 delivered, I'll give it whirl and report to everyone here the results.

That is some high praise! Thank you.

That is some high praise! Thank you.

Nathan, I think it is VERY SAFE TO SAY, that we all appreciate your presence here on this and other forums. It says a lot about your company, at least to me it does. I'm certain that I will be purchasing a couple of your barrels in the near future.

Thanks again for your presence and input when questions arise!

No, thank you. 

Its great communities like this that offer constructive (and sometimes needed critical) feedback that helps us make better and better products. We take it all to heart and no issue goes un-addressed. 

Plus, I get to hang out with awesome people who also like guns!

Edited by FaxonNathan
Phrasing was incorrect. Oops!

You can head space it with just the Bolt .

DSCN1993.thumb.JPG.b66e6f42da5dbff4ace16

DSCN1992.thumb.JPG.133cba18bd5a6b8be67b7

Yea, I usually just assemble the barrel to the upper, remove the ejector assembly and then check headspace with the BCG otherwise assembled

allowing it to go into battery with the headspace gauge in place of a round. Headspace results were as good as one could hope for with the "GO"

gauge chambering correctly and both the "Field" and "NO GO" failing to chamber as it should be - this with 2 different standard DPMS bolts, one

new, and one used. I think that since I put this barrel on a Ares Armor billet upper I'll probably buy one of their NiB BCG's for it when my $ allow.