• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mount and fat rifles

So. I bought a DPMS GII Recon because I wanted a lightweight 308 carbine that I could run with if need be if SHTF, class, etc.

I did buy a somewhat heavy scope, but it looked like a super good deal at 399 for Weaver Super Slam Series Tactical Rifle Scope - 2-10x36mm Illum. EMDR Reticle Matte

I have a NIB Burris pepr 30mm that comes in at 8.3 oz or so. This would add another .5 pounds to the rifle and this optic weighs 2 pounds. I can buy an aero precision mount and take that down to 3.2 or so. However, I am already 300 over my budget and am wondering if the weight savings is worth it. Both are fine mounts, but I am not trying to create another fat rifle. 

I hate to spend the 80 bucks on the aero mount...what do you guys think - worth the weight savings?

I'd say spend the money on the more expensive mount I'd you didn't have one, but if you have the mount, run it for now. Save up some pennies for the mount you like. The other option is throw the pepr  up for sale while you wait for the scope to arrive. If it sells quick, the aero is half way paid for.

I'd say spend the money on the more expensive mount I'd you didn't have one, but if you have the mount, run it for now. Save up some pennies for the mount you like. The other option is throw the pepr  up for sale while you wait for the scope to arrive. If it sells quick, the aero is half way paid for.

Makes sense - and I have seen the pepr mounts sell for pretty much the same as the Aero mounts on eBay. After shipping, eBay fees, PayPal fees, I would probably be ahead so to speak. I may do that, it would be a lesson learned for sure lol. I have some adapters for it as well to take it down to 1" - its all still in the packaging, so I could sell it as a lot. I may try that to help keep the weight down.

Here is an interesting question - or I think it is - Would the added weight and possible stability help keep my new optic in place better than a lightweight one would? If so, might be worth the extra weight...hmmm. 

Which one do you guys use/like. I am looking at the extended but not sure:

option 1: Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Extended Rifle Scope Mount AP210500

option 2: Aero Precision Ultralight Scope Mount APRA210200

This is going on a 16 inch carbine: I am leaving towards Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm Extended Rifle Scope Mount AP210500 for the extra eye relief, not sure though.

How much more or less would a set of rings weigh compared to a one piece mounts ? 

The weight you may be saving is , to me , not enough to even consider , but if you like one over the other , go with that .

I like Heavy Duty rings /Mounts for heavy , large scopes, I like a solid as possible mounting system for scopes with a 308AR , just me . I use Burris Xtreme Tactical rings for all my heavy large scopes . I even have them on my 12 ga.,DSG ( Designated Slug Gun ), I didn't see a weight on them on the Burris web sight though . Massive rings , for sure . I may have a set laying around & will weigh them for curiosities sake .

Edited by survivalshop

Thanks,

I don't have a ton of cash to burn and I did not inspect my mount, the 30mm Burris I have on hand close enough when it came in the door. The finish (top of one of the rings, it came with the rail ring and flat ring – I will just switch to flat ring tops) was damaged in shipping so if I sell it...I will be selling at a pretty big loss. So it looks like I am going to have to try it out and see how it feels. I really want to keep my DPMS GII Recon Carbine .308/7.62 16 Barrel as light as possible. I want it to be my go to rife. I just don't see spending another 85 bucks on a mount right now though. Darn it – wish I would have paid more attention – I was ordering a ton of stuff then for xmas, etc.

I know the aero mount is lighter…but going from 8oz to 3oz seems like a small gain for 85 bucks – unless you guys have other experiences.

So. I bought a DPMS GII Recon because I wanted a lightweight 308 carbine that I could run with if need be if SHTF, class, etc.

I did buy a somewhat heavy scope, but it looked like a super good deal at 399 for Weaver Super Slam Series Tactical Rifle Scope - 2-10x36mm Illum. EMDR Reticle Matte

I have a NIB Burris pepr 30mm that comes in at 8.3 oz or so. This would add another .5 pounds to the rifle and this optic weighs 2 pounds. I can buy an aero precision mount and take that down to 3.2 or so. However, I am already 300 over my budget and am wondering if the weight savings is worth it. Both are fine mounts, but I am not trying to create another fat rifle. 

I hate to spend the 80 bucks on the aero mount...what do you guys think - worth the weight savings?

Belive me, if you are pissed enough, or the Gunny has the Sergeants foot up your ass running after them you won't notice the weight of the piece, and if you are running away from them your piece is only useful as a club and it will only slow you down...it is better running with a fully loaded rifle. FORWARD! HO!

Thanks,

I don't have a ton of cash to burn and I did not inspect my mount, the 30mm Burris I have on hand close enough when it came in the door. The finish (top of one of the rings, it came with the rail ring and flat ring – I will just switch to flat ring tops) was damaged in shipping so if I sell it...I will be selling at a pretty big loss. So it looks like I am going to have to try it out and see how it feels. I really want to keep my DPMS GII Recon Carbine .308/7.62 16 Barrel as light as possible. I want it to be my go to rife. I just don't see spending another 85 bucks on a mount right now though. Darn it – wish I would have paid more attention – I was ordering a ton of stuff then for xmas, etc.

I know the aero mount is lighter…but going from 8oz to 3oz seems like a small gain for 85 bucks – unless you guys have other experiences.

check with Burris customer srvice, they are top notch. They might replace the damaged part. I just lost my turret covers on a Burris scope in a torrential squall at the range, and they replaced them free of charge.

check with Burris customer srvice, they are top notch. They might replace the damaged part. I just lost my turret covers on a Burris scope in a torrential squall at the range, and they replaced them free of charge.

+1^ Had a PEPR mount that wouldn't stay latched. They paid shipping and asked no questions, sent me a new one.

308 turns a whole lot of "cover" into concealment!!!

There's  a local guy who has a YouTube channel called the chopping block. Does a lot of not so scientific but entertaining tests. He has a series called Does 308 really turn cover into concealment? He runs various 308 and 556 rounds against barriers. 

Edited by blue109