• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Beginning my first 308 build, opinions wanted

HMM

I just happened across a deal on a blemished upper and lower (both stripped) from Palmetto.  I didn't really research enough before I jumped on the deal...there are a lot of variables in these builds unlike my AR15 projects!

I'm reading all I can but wanted to throw this out there to get some input on my plans so far.

- PSA upper and lower (currently in hand)

- Geissele SSA-E trigger to go with the PSA parts kit (currently in hand)

Future purchases:

- D Wilson AR10 BCG

- Raptor ambi-charging handle (wife is a lefty)

- I'm sorta stuck on which barrel to go with, pros and cons of each?

18” Faxon Firearms heavy fluted barrel or

18” Juggernaut Tactical stainless fluted barrel

- SLR Rifleworks 15" 308 Solo Series Hand Guard – MLOK (I have their ultra light rail on one of my AR15s and love it)

- Leaning towards the Magpul PRS stock but not really sold on a stock yet.

I don't really have a purpose for this rifle besides plinking at the range.  I have a 700 (308 also) that I take out every once and a while but the longest range I have access to is at 500yards.  Most of the time I'll just be shooting from the 200 or 300 yard ranges and just punching paper. 

Edited by HMM

Thanks for the info!  I was originally wanting to go with a 16" barrel but I found that limited my searching ability.  It appears JP has the better website for getting info (prices, specs, etc).  My plan is to eventually order a suppressor so I might go with a JP barrel since it appears I can get everything I want and they include a bolt and do the head spacing included.

I think the issue with PSA receivers came from the use of mid-length gas barrels with them, which just so happens to be what the OP's two barrel choices both use.  I think this was the thread on it:
 http://forum.308ar.com/topic/11808-a-word-to-the-wise-about-the-palmetto-state-armory-pa-10/#comment-160786

If you use one of those barrels, HMM, you might need an Armalite carbine length gas tube instead of a standard mid-length.

I think the issue with PSA receivers came from the use of mid-length gas barrels with them, which just so happens to be what the OP's two barrel choices both use.  I think this was the thread on it:
 http://forum.308ar.com/topic/11808-a-word-to-the-wise-about-the-palmetto-state-armory-pa-10/#comment-160786

If you use one of those barrels, HMM, you might need an Armalite carbine length gas tube instead of a standard mid-length.

Thanks man, I'll remember that!  I got my lower including SSA-E trigger put together tonight minus the stock.  The stock should arrive in the mail tomorrow, I went with the Magpul PRS since my buddy was ordering him one as well.  I just need to get on the ball and get a barrel and rail ordered.  Haven't even looked at scopes yet, that's going to be another huge hit to the wallet...lol

Headache is about all I've had with this thing so far...lol  Seems nothing is standardized...

I've had to grind on my 10rd Pmags to get them to fit.  They hit around the magwell area where the trigger guard meets it.  The 20rd Pmags work but you really have to bump them on the bottom to get them to seat.  I'll probably grind a hair on them as well.  Going to order some metal mags to have as well just so I have a good balance between the two.

Then there is my charging handle, it was binding like crazy (Raptor Bambi-charging handle).  After searching I found the M&P guys had similar issues and took a grinder to the top front nub, and then took a chain saw file to the channel area.  I was able to just grind the nub off the top front of it and it works a ton better now!

I was about to pull the trigger on a rainier barrel and then found it about 60 bucks cheaper on another site.  When I went back to to order it they were sold out.  Just went ahead and tried the faxon barrel, it guaranteed good accuracy so I'll give it a try.  I was thinking I'd swap it out at a later date or build my other lower with one.  At this point the barrel is on this upper from here on out, I basically had to pound the stock on the concrete floor in the garage to inch the barrel down.  I don't think it's coming off anytime soon...lol  

My rail should be in tomorrow along with my SLR lowpro adjustable gas block.  I'm hoping this thing comes together.  I bought an armalite gas tube so hopefully I'll figure out which one will work once i get the gas block on.  I've got about every length available so maybe one will work...hahahaha

Lastly, a couple of things have actually worked out great, I bought the go/no-go headspace gauges and my D Wilson BCG is perfect.  And it looks sexy.  I like the trigger as well, no issues at all putting it in when I assembled the lower.  Geissele triggers are sweet!  The PRS stock is tough as nails, as I found when I was basically pounding it on my concrete floor...  Still adjusted easily after the beatings stopped. 

Oh my vice block barely fit too.  I had to basically pry the rifle off of it too...lol

At least my surefire socom muzzle brake looks sexy on the end.  I didn't torque it down yet, my rail and gas block are on schedule for tomorrow.  I'm hoping I have a complete rifle assembled to test fire next week.  

I've got some buddies taking a long range rifle class next month so I'm trying to get a rifle ready for it so I can tag along.  I've been waiting 3 weeks on a trigger for my 700 and the dude will not answer the phone to let me know when to expect it...  I'm also going to be using a borrowed scope as is so I'd like to chase one down for this rig too so I can take both to the class.  That is if I get all the bugs worked out (gas block adjusted, etc).

Got to source more ammo too!

I made this it's own topic since I was so pleased at the customer service I received for MY MISTAKE but I wanted to include it here since it was part of my build...

Let me just say SLRrifleworks rocks!  I bought my 3rd rail from them for my 308 AR (other 2 were for AR15s).  Evidently I just eyeballed my upper and thought it was the higher of the two.  Stupid me...  And I didn't bother to check this before putting my upper together - I was like a kid opening presents on Christmas morning, I immediately put the rifle on the vise and began torquing the barrel nut down and putting the gas block on.  After all that I slid the rail on to mount it and what do you know, it's higher than the rail on the upper.  I immediately thought I just ate the cost of this rail for being stupid...  So I come in eat and calm down from kicking myself and think I'll just drop them a line to see if I could possibly pay a stupid tax and restocking fee so I could exchange it.  I had scratched the barrel nut a tad with the tool to tighten it so I knew it wasn't going to be an easy swap unless I could just trade out the rail itself.  

So it's 6:3ish-7:00 and I e-mail them with my order number and issue, offering to kick in some extra.  To my amazement I get a response within 5 minutes!  And they offered to swap everything out free of charge.  I have to get a new barrel nut too because it's a smaller size for the lower profile rail, which made me feel even worse because I was hoping all I had to do was change out the rail itself.  Even after again asking if I could throw in some extra they still said no.  Needless to say I'll order my next rail from them and ever other rail I ever use will be from SLRrifleworks.  That's top notch customer service right there!

I just happened across a deal on a blemished upper and lower (both stripped) from Palmetto.  I didn't really research enough before I jumped on the deal...there are a lot of variables in these builds unlike my AR15 projects!

- I'm sorta stuck on which barrel to go with, pros and cons of each?

18” Faxon Firearms heavy fluted barrel or

18” Juggernaut Tactical stainless fluted barrel

Flattered to be thought of!

Let us know if we can assist with any questions. 

Done besides test firing!  My long 2mm ball driver to adjust my gas block should be delivered tomorrow.  Got the muzzle brake torqued down and everything.  So glad SLRrifleworks hooked me up with an exchange!  They rock!!!  I also picked up a black nitrite gas tube from them just because.  Only thing I may change is the handstop, the screw is a tad long and was hitting the gas block so I had to move it closer in.  I'll probably grind it down and move it forward to the original spot I wanted.

Time to hunt down some good glass now.

image1.JPG

Nothing in mind as of yet.  My buddy is looking hard at the Nikon M-308 for his.  I picked up my neighbor's leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50 for this long range class in January I'm taking with the guys at work.  Seems I'm the only one that will be running MILs instead of MOA so far but beggars can't be choosers since I'm running borrowed equipment.  Depending on how the class goes that could determine the direction I go.  I was originally going to grab a scope like the M-308 before the class so I had a back up rifle but now I figured I'd get the dude's take on everything before dropping the coin on some glass.  I'm not dead set on MILs or MOA but figured it would be easier on us to have the same for class purposes/shooting each other's stuff.

You got a recommendation?  I'd like to stay under 800ish for this one, 1000 counting the mount.

Couple friends have the M308 and they love it. I'd say you're doing right giving a loaner a try first. Along with the class do a ton of reading and watching reviews, lots of good links floating around the site here. For what you want to do good glass will be just as important as the rifle, many say to spend more on the glass than the rifle!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got out to the range and dialed my gas block in.  This thing is a joy to shoot!  Now I just need to find some glass for it and I'll be set.  Well and pick up some reloading stuff for .308, my wallet hurt with every trigger pull...lol

• 1 month later...