• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Faxon ARAK-21

shepp

so for awhile I've wanted to build an AR in 7.62x39. I ran across this gem today. I know I said build, but I find this interesting. Maybe after taxes come back :)

http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-upper-receiver/

http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-xrs-complete-rifle/

Edited by shepp

If you want a shoot all x39 build, I can say that a YHM chrome lined barrel should be considered. I have the 11.5" SBR and the 16" carbine and they will shoot everything and shoot it well. There barrels are top shelf, stuff you use for nice suppressor rifle builds. 

I've looked into that robo has a thread a few below this one on his builds. The thing that catches my eye on this are piston operation and I thought I saw side charge

I like the Faxon system. I was very tempted to grab one for a "California" rifle.

I have a x39 build sitting on my bench. It's been there a while. I have an Adams Arms conversion kit waiting to be installed with it. I also have an ASA side charging upper for it. I guess I just figured I'd build my own afterall. The only part missing is the bolt. I'll likely buy a LMT bolt when I'm ready. I'm just waiting for a special lower receiver so I can have it reg'd as a pistol.

The big thing about the Faxon is their bufferless system. It is almost identical to the AK platform. They were supposed to release a model with a longer handguard, or at least a handguard extension. I saw the model at SHOT2015, but never saw a release for it. It would be my first question to them at SHOT this year (next week). Unfortunately I cancelled my trip this year. I have too many family responsibilities that come first. I'm definitely going next year.

So first I was thinking 12.6 barrel with  sig brace and make it a pistol 

now I'm thinking 16" barrel with a law tactical folding stock? I know I could put the sig brace on there but I this making a rifle outta it would be better than pistol with the weight? 

My plan was for a "Featureless" rifle. If built correctly, it skirts around all the stupid AWB laws in Ca. I wanted an Ares Defense SCR lower with a Magpul SGA Stock. Then I'd attach the 16" ARAK-21 upper. I was just waiting for the extended handguard to get released before I committed to building it up.

So first I was thinking 12.6 barrel with  sig brace and make it a pistol 

now I'm thinking 16" barrel with a law tactical folding stock? I know I could put the sig brace on there but I this making a rifle outta it would be better than pistol with the weight? 

Do both. All you need is a second barrel. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My plan was for a "Featureless" rifle. If built correctly, it skirts around all the stupid AWB laws in Ca. I wanted an Ares Defense SCR lower with a Magpul SGA Stock. Then I'd attach the 16" ARAK-21 upper. I was just waiting for the extended handguard to get released before I committed to building it up.

Like this one !

100_1152.jpg

I like the Faxon system. I was very tempted to grab one for a "California" rifle.

I have a x39 build sitting on my bench. It's been there a while. I have an Adams Arms conversion kit waiting to be installed with it. I also have an ASA side charging upper for it. I guess I just figured I'd build my own afterall. The only part missing is the bolt. I'll likely buy a LMT bolt when I'm ready. I'm just waiting for a special lower receiver so I can have it reg'd as a pistol.

California Rifle.... AKA a Handy Rifle camber in 7.62x39mm.

handyrifle.jpg