• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero 308AR after a full season

dpete

This past winter/spring I assembled my 308AR from Aero Precison parts and a 18.5" lightweight Criterion barrel from Fulton Armory.  

From Areo:

Enhanced Upper assembly

Lower

NiB BCG

Charge Handle

Lower Parts

From Ebay:

Carbine buffer tube

308AR buffer spring and buffer

Everything went together without a hitch and the gunsmith that checked headspace said it was one of the few he has seen that came out to a zero (perfect from what he said).  The first range trip was a bit nerve wracking because this was my first build from scratch and I had been reading horror stories for a couple months about how people couldn't get their 308 to run.  I set the rifle in my rest, loaded a round into the magazine, popped the mag into the rifle, pointed it downrange and put my face into the crook of my elbow of my left arm before pulling the trigger.  I figured if something was going to blow I didn't want my face 2" from the boom.  Pulling the trigger was a non-event.  The gun went bang, the case clattered into the wire mesh at the side of the station and the BCG locked back.  Success!   Next came two bullets in the mag.  Again face in arm, pulled the trigger and bang clatter then another bang clatter on the second pull and locked open.  Success again!  Over the next 1/2 hour or so it ate every bullet I had along perfectly.

Since then I have spent a lot of time developing loads for it and it has performed flawlessly with every single one.  This rifle now has close to 1000 rounds through it with only 20 being factory PPU 147grain ball.  All of the rest have been handloads of mine.  I am thankful I did as much reading before the build process as I did and purchased all the major parts from one manufacturer to get them to play nicely with one another.  It seems to have paid off.

IMG_15971.thumb.JPG.f2f87cec40bdeee2cd38IMG_15982.thumb.JPG.6803a346182aa233ea07IMG_15991.thumb.JPG.dd4beda2559349d57599

Nice build.   Mice like company.   Well you built a 308 AR10 clone which I call Rat guns.   Now it’s time to build another Rat or a Mouse gun.  You know Rats like company too.  You can’t just build one; it’s like eating potato chips, you just can’t eat one.

Wolf

Ohhh, the mouse guns, and a baby mouse gun arrived before the rat.  First a Colt 6920 that no longer looks like a stock 6920, a 300 Blackout 16" Carbine, then a 8" Blackout pistol.  It was a building progression.  Bought the Colt first, bought the upper then the lower for the Blackout, built the lower and bought the upper for the pistol, then built the entire 308.  Thankfully my wife understands the AR urge and went so far as to name them Thelma, Louise, Babette, and Bertha. 

The Mice and Rats reproduced quit well hear.    

I bought my first two mouse guns pre-built.   There two strait flat tops.   Then I got the bug and started building.   Before I knew it the Mouse population had grown to 22 in 2 different flavors.  Two 22cal, twenty 5.56’s and then along came a special Mouse in 45acp.    Then the Rats invaded, One pre-built DPMS rifle 20 inch and I built my baby a 16 inch carbine.

Wolf