• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need to pick your brains...

Eastcoastlaxin

I have been reloading for a few years now, mostly pistols, but I am now doing .308 and .223 for my rifles.  Bought some Hornady 160gr. For $29/100 and they work great.  I have been buying from Xtreme bullets for all my pistol bullets and have been happy with their product.  Long story short... I ordered some .308 160 gr. Bullets with a roundish flat head.  After I loaded a dummy round (no powder or primer) I noticed they are considerably shorter than the pointed Hornady bullets. I can't seem to find any data to help me find out what comparable load I could use.  I have attatched a pic of the Hornandy in my caliper and one of the xtreme bullet as well.  Any experience with these bullets? I don't want to over pressure them by placing them too deep nor do I want them just in the casing.  Didn't even consider these bullets might not be acceptable on the AR platform.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Eastcoastlaxin

Shoot those up and DONT buy any more like that ! Stick with 147 gr, 150 gr, 155gr, 165 gr,168gr, 175 gr and 180gr projectiles which are ballistic tipped, FMJ ,HPBT or plain Jane pointed tip. Flat and rounded bullets don't chamber well in AR's. Also Always go by BOOK numbers and use more than one BOOK ! If the two books are not close get a third book. NO EXCEPTIONS ! There are some manuals in the reloading sections. If you can't find something ... ÀSK ! I have access to about 9 loading manuals.

• 1 year later...

The photo showing the other 160gr appears to be a 160gr FTX bullet from Hornady. Those are also meant to be used for 30-30 in tubular magazines, hence the flexible rubber tip. I don't suppose there is any harm in using it in a .308 Win, but if you are seating them all the way down to where the cannelure is in .308 cases, you're taking up case space that could be occupied by powder and you could be unknowingly compressing the load.

Yeah, thats the one thing that bugs me about X-treme bullets, they don't publish ANY loading data for their projectiles! It just seems lazy to me and not being willing to stand by their products. I contacted them to get some load info for their 124r 9mm HP's and they told me to use Speers data. I wrote back and told them I'd be using Speers bullets as well, from now on!