• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Adams arms ar 10 Not cycling/short stroking

Azazel

I have an Adams arms AASF 308. It is brand new, a long story short I fired it today emptied a magazine no problem. a 20 round Pmag. well I noticed some metal shavings, I ran a magnet across them and they did stick so I think it is brass.(none of my other guns even do shavings) So did regular maintenance just clean up the gun and get the shavings out and re assemble it. About what i would normally do with my ar-15 and AK. So I later  that day I wanted to fire it again and see if it would still shoot brass. After looking online and seeing you need to "break in the gun" However I chambered a round and it shot pull the trigger again and click, so the shell ejected but Nothing chambered tried again manually chambered the next round and the same happened, again and again. I tried taking the AR apart cleaning it tried the different setting on the gas tube the half then back to the full, and nothing. I am not sure what is going on, looked to see if I had over oiled the system and caused this however it is fairly right. I didn't see any oil in the gas tube My only guess is maybe oil is in the bolt? I am at a loss and it is really infuriating me. this gun is 3 days old. Didn't even get 100 rounds threw it. Yes I have used the same ammo. Tried different ammo too. This rifle is bone stock.

12946883_1774757496085798_1680404360_o.jpg

I'm thinking not enough oil you said a full mag ran then it progressively got worse? These rifles like to be wet wet wet. I have a dropper bottle with mobile one synthetic in it and put a line in the upper down the top and sides of the bolt and cycle it with the charging handle. 

Also welcome to Wisconsin from Wisconsin 

The second round of shooting I got nothing at all. I will try to oil more, I wonder if it is a gas issue. I really don't see how since it is basically a "fixed system". Not sure what I have don't wrong since I did a basic field strip and re assemble. I didn't take the bolt and bolt carrier apart, just took them out to clean the barrel and such. 

It just doesn't cycle rounds now. I thought about picking up a higher grain bullet tomorrow but I am not sure if it will work. I am at a loss.

Welcome from Iowa...this week anyway.

I doubt you could use too much oil. Is this a piston gun or a direct impingement? Brass shavings in a new gun are pretty common in my experience, my Sig 716 looked like a glitter machine the first several hundred rounds.If it is a piston then it may be possible to foul the piston system with burnt oil but not probable. Field strip the BCG and make sure it is properly lubed. Check the extractor for brass shavings jamming it up

.BCG lube2.JPGlube.jpg

Edited by jtallen83

I haven't fired but 45 rounds or so. 15 or so was problematic.  This is as far as I go on the breakdown for cleaning this time since It was my first time. My Ole bushmaster and my AK variant get full break downs.  I thought maybe I didn't reinstall gas system right but I looked online and it is simple, maybe I am doing something wrong here. Or I hope it isn't some manufacturing flaw. I really don't want to send it off.

12910507_1774779042750310_1803208354_n.jpg

12910958_1774779026083645_125289361_n.jpg

Have you tried more than one magazine? Just to rule out the rare possibility of a defective or poorly seated magazine.Even with the first 20 fine, mags have been known to fail. I assume you are making sure the magazine is fully seated in the mag well. The cartridge that fails to load, are there many marks on it? Wonder what the stock buffer and spring is on that manufacturer, as I am not familiar with them. The BCG might not be traveling far enough rearward to strip a round is another possibility. 

g

i

vi

ng 

the 

Definitely take the Bolt Carrier group apart. If the shell is extracting you can rule out the extractor. 

Yes I tried all three settings with the same effect.

It extracts the shells but refuses to chamber a fresh round. 

I may attempt to dismantle the BCG and clean it, being new I didn't think it would gunk up that quick.

And greetings from Tennessee.

EDIT: I ran a magnet across them and they >>>> *didn't* <<<stick a little edit here on the Original post I seen I mistakenly typed. 

Piston system , nice Feed Ramps & those Locking Lug approaches are different. You say you shot 20 rds. & witnessed shavings , then disassemble rifle to clean & inspect , I would look at your reassembly , might have something to do with the Gas regular & how its was reassembled , might be some kind of alignment issue .

You also say the only way to feed a fresh unfired cartridge into the chamber , you have to pull the charging handle back to do so . Try one round in the Mag & see if the BCG will lock back on a empty Mag . , if it does , is probably not a low Gas Impulse issue .  

Edited by survivalshop

11 hours ago, Azazel said:

Additional info. I am having to manually chamber a round using the charging handle.

Are you have to do this with 2 or 3 rounds still in the magazine?

So you fire a round, bolt cycles, and stays locked back on a full or partial magazine? I would look at the bolt catch\magazine first, if this is the case. JMHO

And when my DPMS Oracle was brand new, it made a bunch of brass glitter.

Dang nice feed ramps on that barrel!

Mobil1 full synthetic is your best friend and run it WET!

Edited by beantown

Yes, the bolt locks back into place but does not pick up a round, I tried the 1 round in the mag this morning, it didn't lock back on the empty mag. I will try to buy another magazine today. Unfortunately I believe it is a bolt or gas issue too. You guys have been awesome on the support. If only you guys lived closer LOL.

Edited by Azazel

Any marks where the carrier enters the buffer tube? Piston guns have been known to have carrier tilt issues. This would seem to be a long shot though since it did function in the beginning. I'd break it down again and make sure the gas block has not shifted or started leaking.

4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yes, the bolt locks back into place but does not pick up a round, I tried the 1 round in the mag this morning, it didn't lock back on the empty mag. I will try to buy another magazine today. Unfortunately I believe it is a bolt or gas issue too. You guys have been awesome on the support. If only you guys lived closer LOL.

If its not locking back after last round is ejected , its under gassed or you have something slowing it down or binding some where . The BCG is not cycling far enough back into Receiver Extension ( Buffer Tube ) to let the Bolt Face grab the Base of the Cartridge next in the Mag. .

That is what I am thinking bought a new mag and a 3rd type of ammo, cleaned the gas tube out,even though not even 60 rounds now went through it. Needless to say it was clean. 2 times it actually loaded another round then went back to the normal crap. I contacted Adams Arms asking them to contact me. I took the BCG apart cleaned it, Needless to say again I didn't need to clean it. That cotter pin was fun to re insert lol. I have done everything. Looked to see if the BCG was hitting the walls(nothing) and the buffer tube looks new and functional as well. I have tried different grains expensive and cheap brands of ammo, Oiled it cleaned it, everything imaginable at this point. You I know guys could probably identify the problem in person, quickly. I am just not intelligent enough myself to detect the problem and find a solution. I tried to find a PDF owners manual to this firearm or a Youtube video of this model and break down. Can't find anything but a "one size fits all" pdf from the site, everything on the manual I know. Stumped. I really don't want to send it in and wait months on a return. They don't have a contact number so I can only email at this time. But I keep burning money here and I have done almost everything. 

-Travis

Welcome from Indiana brother Travis.If it worked, then you took it apart and then no worky,has to be something in reassembly.How about a bind in extention tube,spring buffer.In similar situations it was something I did or didn't do to cause a problem where there was none.Just my 2 mags.

Guys took it out this morning it cycled perfectly. I haven't done anything different. I did take the buffer tube out and inspect it. it looked fine, went out this morning to shoot it just to see. about 15 rounds I had left all fired flawlessly. Going to pick up some more ammo just to see if it was a fluke. Let you know the results.

I shot again had the same issue the first two rounds, HOWEVER, I think I may have found out the issue. I cleaned the gun prior to using again. I think my gun solvent is too light. I think I am going to switch to a heavier solvent. Then see the results. though I have used this same solvent on all of my systems. It is my only guess.

Just now, Azazel said:

I shot again had the same issue the first two rounds, HOWEVER, I think I may have found out the issue. I cleaned the gun prior to using again. I think my gun solvent is too light. I think I am going to switch to a heavier solvent. Then see the results. though I have used this same solvent on all of my systems. It is my only guess.

You mean as lube? A lot of guys like mobile 1 synthetic it's works well, one thing about synthetic oil is the get into the pores of them metal and still lubricate even tho it seems it's gone. 

Amsoil took an engine run on amsoil and drained it. The engine ran some ridiculous amount of time with out oil due to what I said above.