• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

first 308 build

dprice38444

have built numerous ar-15's in the past with no issues.this one is a hoot

using si defense 308 set hk mags.aero presicion melonited bolt carrier assembly,criterion chrome lined 16 inch bbl,tac con trigger.assembly went smoothly.inserted bolt carrier into rear of upper,lugs swiveled into place,will not swivel out of place in barrel.cannot with draw the bolt carrier.any suggestions so that i won't tear up the aluminum nibx upper?

If i'm reading this right the BCG is locked into place and 3 men and a boy can't pull the charging handle back.....If you are running an adj. stock.Close the stock,unlatch the charging handle.Strike the buttstock on something solid [get a small piece of wood put it on the floor]and slam the buttstock to the floor while holding the latch open and pulling rearward on charging handle.Happened to me with the Nickel boron BCG.Took 3 stikes for it to open.The rifle should not have a live round in it.......

after much procrastination.i studied unforgivens suggestion and determined that if the bolt face was not in spec,his suggestion would put me right back in the same situation if i slammed it on a surface,plus,might break some expensive parts. what i wound up doing is using one of those harbor freight type body pullers that i had in the garage,(1/4 20 threaded tip)went to ace hardware and got a 5 1/2 inch 1/4 20 bolt.put bolt in vise 1/2 inch or so sticking out,and beat the bolt head until approx 45 degrees. then took bench grinder and ground the bolt sides flat to the bolt shank,the upward bent tip, fit right into the carrier slot.popped stripped upper into barrel vise,3 shots with the slide hammer,popped apart.

Mortering the stock ( as described by Unforgiven )would have been faster , but you got er done  . A lot of new AR rifles have this issue at first , even factory rifles .  Most of the calls I get , there is a live round in the chamber , I tell them to keep their fingers away from the Trigger & go outside or to the range ( if they are not there already ) .

• 4 months later...

ok,finally finished it.

ace hammer buttstock,si defence 308ar hk receivers,criterion 16 inch chrome lined match grade barrel,adjustable gas block,midwest industries forend,aero precision melonited bolt carrier,wmd nitrided the upper,and tac-con rock and roll trigger groop.  aac sr-7 can extra.

DSCN1523.JPG

DSCN1524.JPG