• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite AR10 16" Tactical Rifle

Fletch

While I try not to say anything negative about my beloved Armalite, the 2 grand seems a little stiff for a carbine. I've built a couple different AR-10 carbines for less. Now once again, all of my 10's are the "B" pattern, so I don't pretend to have a lot of working experience with the "A" pattern rifles/carbines. Don't get me wrong, it still looks like a fine weapon. And it may shoot as well (or better) than any of mine. Plus, I don't believe that they offer stripped lowers/uppers from the "A" pattern yet (if that's what you're going for).

And all of this coming from THE Armalite pusher of the forum. :laffs:

I am not a fan of some of the directions that Armalite is heading. As a subsidiary of a private company, it is hard to know if they are profitable, but I have found some of their decisions puzzling from a business standpoint, and from a standpoint of retaining customer loyalty. I am glad I got what I did when I did, and won"t be in the market for anything in the foreseeable future, as nothing in their product line really jumps out to me anymore, like the AT10T carbine and the National Match AR10 did. 

3 hours ago, Rsquared said:

While I try not to say anything negative about my beloved Armalite, the 2 grand seems a little stiff for a carbine. I've built a couple different AR-10 carbines for less. Now once again, all of my 10's are the "B" pattern, so I don't pretend to have a lot of working experience with the "A" pattern rifles/carbines. Don't get me wrong, it still looks like a fine weapon. And it may shoot as well (or better) than any of mine. Plus, I don't believe that they offer stripped lowers/uppers from the "A" pattern yet (if that's what you're going for).

And all of this coming from THE Armalite pusher of the forum. :laffs:

Agreed on the $2K being a little stiff, but that's their "retail" price, fortunately they can be bought for around $1,600, which I think is very good IMO considering the options. I'm not going for my own build this time...and this is one of the very few 308AR's that come completely built that I actually really like the set-up of.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

I am not a fan of some of the directions that Armalite is heading. As a subsidiary of a private company, it is hard to know if they are profitable, but I have found some of their decisions puzzling from a business standpoint, and from a standpoint of retaining customer loyalty. I am glad I got what I did when I did, and won"t be in the market for anything in the foreseeable future, as nothing in their product line really jumps out to me anymore, like the AT10T carbine and the National Match AR10 did. 

I have very little experience with Armalite, although from what I understand their quality is excellent. In the past I have generally avoided them, but that was mostly because what I was looking for (at the time) they didn't seem to offer.

I'm an Armalite fan but have a B model as well. Very accurate rifle and never a glitch in around 3,000 rounds. I read a review somewhere on the tactical model but can't seem to find it again, the only negative mentioned was the excessively large comp didn't perform like they thought it should. If the rifle has all the extras your looking for then it might be priced right for you but if you plan to change out any components it seems a little overpriced. I never see them on the street so there is a chance they sell for less at a shop if you find one. Part of what you pay for and get with Armalite is great customer service, if there is an issue they will take care of it, no problems.

I ended up purchasing the rifle...Grab A Gun had a great price ($1,592) and I just couldn't seem to talk myself out of it. I have bought a few guns in the past from Grab A Gun and have always received perfect service, fast shipping, and their prices are usually among the lowest out there. I try to go out of my way to support the local shops, but for certain purchases I just can't justify it. Even if anyone had this gun for sale in my area it would have been $1,700-ish (if not more) plus 10% Illinois sales tax. I could probably justify the higher price to the local shop...but I have a very, VERY hard time giving any more money than absolutely necessary to the state of Illinois.

As promised I will write a review of the gun. Initially it will be simple and brief, kind of 'first impression' stuff as my free time is very limited between now and mid-June. Once I have the time and can really shoot it and get it dialed-in I will provide a more detailed review of the gun and it's performance.

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I ended up purchasing the rifle...Grab A Gun had a great price ($1,592) and I just couldn't seem to talk myself out of it. I have bought a few guns in the past from Grab A Gun and have always received perfect service, fast shipping, and their prices are usually among the lowest out there. I try to go out of my way to support the local shops, but for certain purchases I just can't justify it. Even if anyone had this gun for sale in my area it would have been $1,700-ish (if not more) plus 10% Illinois sales tax. I could probably justify the higher price to the local shop...but I have a very, VERY hard time giving any more money than absolutely necessary to the state of Illinois.

As promised I will write a review of the gun. Initially it will be simple and brief, kind of 'first impression' stuff as my free time is very limited between now and mid-June. Once I have the time and can really shoot it and get it dialed-in I will provide a more detailed review of the gun and it's performance.

i don't know a lot about Armilite, but that seems like a reasonable price

I'm with JT. Shoot the piss outta that thing. Give her a good shakedown. Only after that......walk her into the 10 ring. On the safe side. Keep her well lubed (WET). Personally, I've never had any problems with any of my 10's (Armalite) as they were pieced together.....but running a little heavy on the lube never hurt any of the large frame AR's.

Have at it my man. AND.....welcome to the club (of all large frame AR rifles). You're gonna love it!