• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Side charging handle

img_1124.jpgThere is a company that makes a side charging handle that fits in the standard charging slot. It currently only fits AR 10 and 15 rifles and costs $200. If we can get enough orders he will make a LAR8 version. Who is in?

https://www.gfgear.com/charging-handles/ar-10/gfg-side-charger-308

11258856_10103586916821763_1836688621_o8.jpg

Edited by Spaniky73

Interesting , but I have a few observations ,

How well it holds up to Mortaring to remove a stuck Cartridge or spent case from the chamber ?  I can see it failing with repeated attempts to accomplish this , right where the extra side handle meets the original design , at the latch . I have never broke an AR Charging handle & I have put them through a lot .

One other thing , the Video makes a point of the operational shot comings of the original AR design , but the AR charging handle is an Ambidextrous design & with the newer model types , like the Mecharmor designed ,TacOps-1 & many others , makes it a truly Ambidextrous design , with only two fingers , from ether hand ,are needed to unlatch & operate it .

I would like to see some real life testing results , before I lay down two Bills on one . JMHO 

You can charge a raptor equipped gun with either hand without pulling it away from my shoulder. Just need to lift your head off the stock a few inches as it comes back. It actually feels faster and more stable to use my right hand. This thing looks like a failure point.

Aditionally, if you are running an optic with a thumbscrew  like my compM4 with the factory QRP mount, you are going to run out of room for your hand. Might even hold true for QD scope mounts. My BOBRO sticks out pretty far.

I'm running,the same CASV as he is with a raised top rail, and I think it would be a tight fit. A normal height receiver looks like it would have interference issues if you couldn't flip the mount to the other side

PicsArt_06-19-07.47.41.jpg

Edited by blue109

Tom and I broke a charging handle of similar design last year. I think it lasted less than 10 minutes ! I was told to use it and abuse it ! R & D AZ style. 

I don't know anything about the one posted above so I will not say anything bad about it !

Look into  American Spirit Arms of Scottsdale AZ. They have an upper receiver side charger which is top notch !!!!!! Just Sayin' !

Mikedaddyh, just checked their site to double check and they don't have any LAR8 compatible uppers either. That is the biggest drawback to RRA 308s. But all and all I still love my rifle just wish it had more aftermarket parts available.

Edited by Spaniky73

5 hours ago, Spaniky73 said:

Mikedaddyh, just checked their site to double check and they don't have any LAR8 compatible uppers either. That is the biggest drawback to RRA 308s. But all and all I still love my rifle just wish it had more aftermarket parts available.

Your not alone , its one of the things you have to live with when owning a some what proprietary product , no matter how good it is . There are some DPMS GII owners feeling the same issue with after market Charging Handles .

56 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

You can always have a machinist make your upper into a side charger. They mill a channel out the left side, then install a knob on the BCG. It wouldn't be any more expensive than that silly handle above.

I'm not into the reciprocating style like an AK. 

Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard to make a non-reciprocating model. I believe Superior Weapons System  (SWS) used to make a version that installed in the handguard. They teamed up with, now extinct, Kaiser Military Technologies to make it. I missed my opportunity to own one by weeks, if not days.

https://308ar.com/category/manufacturers/kaiser-military-technologies/

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard to make a non-reciprocating model. I believe Superior Weapons System  (SWS) used to make a version that installed in the handguard. They teamed up with, now extinct, Kaiser Military Technologies to make it. I missed my opportunity to own one by weeks, if not days.

The problem is that there isn't a big enough market for anyone to build aftermarket parts for LAR 8s. To have someone machine my upper for a non reciprocating side charging handle I'd almost have the money in it to buy a complete rifle.

Edited by Spaniky73

1 hour ago, Spaniky73 said:

The problem is that there isn't a big enough market for anyone to build aftermarket parts for LAR 8s. To have someone machine my upper for a non reciprocating side charging handle I'd almost have the money in it to buy a complete rifle.

If you feel that way then buy the modified charging handle in the video above.... Then give us a review of their product ! Please tell us how well it holds up when you have a jambed cartridges and you must apply force to unseat and clear the problem. If it holds up after several mortor slams of the buttstock then tell us so !

15 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

If you feel that way then buy the modified charging handle in the video above.... Then give us a review of their product ! Please tell us how well it holds up when you have a jambed cartridges and you must apply force to unseat and clear the problem. If it holds up after several mortor slams of the buttstock then tell us so !

The problem with that is I don't own any platforms this works in. The reason I started this post is if we could get enough orders it would be worth his time to change the tooling to build some that will work in an LAR8.

Edited by Spaniky73

1 hour ago, Spaniky73 said:

The problem with that is I don't own any platforms this works in. The reason I started this post is if we could get enough orders it would be worth his time to change the tooling to build some that will work in an LAR8.

Until then , you will have to do one off matching work like Robo suggested. Its not that hard to do.

32 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Wasn't there a company that made a non reciprocating charging system like the FN-FAL has or is that what your talking about RoboCop ?  Like the HK 91/93 ?

Gibbs arms, JP enterprise and a couple more make those style uppers. Again unfortunately they are for AR10 only and will not work for LAR8s. 

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

Wasn't there a company that made a non reciprocating charging system like the FN-FAL has or is that what your talking about RoboCop ?  Like the HK 91/93 ?

We had an older gentleman in the shop in February he had an original HK from way back in the day. That side charger work perfect. He got a new barrel and it is a very good platform !

Yep,  but he has an LAR 8 & wants one for it . That's a good design , too bad its big $$ . Wonder if you could use the above BCG & side charging system & have the LAR * Upper machined for it to work .  How much different are the BCG 's ?

I know we have talked about this before at some point but don't remember anything , but longer Upper & Charging Handle , is the BCG Longer ?

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Yep,  but he has an LAR 8 & wants one for it . That's a good design , too bad its big $$ . Wonder if you could use the above BCG & side charging system & have the LAR * Upper machined for it to work .  How much different are the BCG 's ?

I know we have talked about this before at some point but don't remember anything , but longer Upper & Charging Handle , is the BCG Longer ?

There is a knotch in the bcg towards the front on one side. On the HK and on the ASA ar15 bolt carrier.