• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need some info on the .300 BLK

ARINGA

Hello All:

Can someone explain to me what the .300 BLK is ? I am looking for a weapon that I can have some fun with that wont break the bank. I am also considering the .308 as well. I am not gonna be hunting with this gun. I just want to punch some paper on my family farm. What's some pros and cons associated with this caliber. It seems like some hate it and some love it. Thank you for your time and God bless.

7.62 x 35  ( 300 BLK ), a very versatile round , If you already have an AR 15 , you can buy or build a dedicated upper in 300BLK & have another rifle caliber . If you are a hand loader or want to use a Suppressor , this round in a sub sonic load is quieter then a 9MM . 

I have loaded , .30 cal.,150 gr. ,135 SMK , 130 gr, Speer Varmint HP's, 125 Gr. SMK's , 110 gr. Barnes ( one of the best ) & 110 VMax Hornady' s , the 110"s are in the 2200-2500 FPS area   . The sub sonic's are in the 220-180  gr, bullet range 

There are factory loads for a lot of these Bullets around , all this with a std AR 15 BCG & Magazines , only the Barrel  ( 300BLK ) & Muzzle break  ( 5/8 x24 " thread size, 308   ) are different . A great little round that is a pure pleasure to shoot  & can hunt with the big boys.

• 2 weeks later...

The .300Blk is a great concept for a subsonic round, and still performs awesome as a supersonic round.

While it's fun... it's not the most economical for non-reloaders... Especially considering the plummeting prices of .223 and 7.62x39 ammo.

If you're seriously debating an inexpensive plinker, and you want a .30 caliber rifle, consider a 7.62x39 build and ask yourself the following;

1. Do you reload?
    1. Yes: As stated above, the .300Blk has near unlimited resources available. The brass is plentiful and the .30 cal projectile is available from 90-220 grains.
    2. No: 7.62x39 can still be purchased in bulk for less than $0.25 a round
  2. Do you shoot suppressed?
    1. Yes: The 300Blk subsonic rounds were designed for, and take full advantage of suppressed shooting.
    2. No: You can technically suppress it, but the x39 ammo is dirtier and their subsonic loads are few and far between... usually costing $$$
  3. Is having interchangeable parts a necessity for you?
    1. Yes: The 300Blk uses all the same parts as the standard AR15, except for a barrel swap (of course).
    2. No: The 7.62x39 requires a caliber specific bolt, as well as a caliber specific magazine.

If you just want a 300Blk, get it. You won't regret it.