• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Leupold VX-HOG Scope?

Well, here I thought I'd pretty well settled on the PA 1-6x24 ACSS scope for my LR308T...

Then I ran across a review on the Leupold VX-HOG (1.4-4x20) with the "Pig Plex" reticle. Seems like a relatively uncluttered reticle which, according to Strelok Pro, would give me holdovers at 300, 350, 450, and 550 with a 75 yard zero. I don't really expect to be taking hogs at anything more than 200 yards as an absolute maximum...

PA is selling them for $192.99 right now, and Leupold is offering a $50 mail-in rebate on all VX-1 and Mark AR MOD 1 scopes. I could have this thing for $142.99 after all is said and done!

All I'd need is another pair of Warne medium QD rings, and I'd be in business. Switch back and forth between the Weaver Kaspa 3-12x (for shooting groups...) and the Leupold (for everything else) as needed.

Anybody running one of these 'HOG' scopes?

Edited by COBrien

11 minutes ago, shepp said:

You called it! Got a link? Sounds interesting

Link to Leupold's website: https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/hog-riflescopes/vx-hog-1-4x20mm/

Better look at the 'Pig Plex' reticle: https://www.leupold.com/reticles/pig-plex/

Primary Arms: http://www.primaryarms.com/114933/p/114933/

Leupold Rebates: https://www.leupold.com/rewards/

Looks like a pretty good piece of glass. Of course, the "best" scope I've ever bought is a BSA "Tactical" 4-14x44 FFP Mil-Dot scope. Pretty much everything else in my safe wears a Simmons or a BSA of some sort. They've always been "good enough" for me, and at decent price points.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, COBrien said:

Oh no... 16 views in 24 hours, and no response. I feel "the rule" being invoked...

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:42 PM, shepp said:

You called it! Got a link? Sounds interesting

AND.........the jury finds you guilty sir.

(BLAM)..........sound of gavel.

I'm rolling my pennies...

With a baby girl due Christmas Eve and a wife who is in full-on nesting mode, money is a bit tight right now. She doesn't know about the HG/GB/MB I put on the rifle a couple weeks ago, but she will definitely know the difference in scopes.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:55 AM, COBrien said:

I'm rolling my pennies...

With a baby girl due Christmas Eve and a wife who is in full-on nesting mode, money is a bit tight right now. She doesn't know about the HG/GB/MB I put on the rifle a couple weeks ago, but she will definitely know the difference in scopes.

Well......with that being said. I believe that we might be able to extend the grace period until proof of purchase is provided. :laffs:

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by the local(ish) gun shop yesterday and browsed around at the scopes they had in stock. They had just sold their last VX-HOG, but advised they can order another/some more and have it/them in 2-3 days.

Their price: $229.

I'm all about saving money, but I'd rather keep my money local(ish). Planning on feeling out the Ms. on the issue of buying another scope this weekend. Lol!

• 10 months later...

Well, it's only been a year since I started this thread...

SWFA had 1 VX-HOG left at $199.99, with free shipping. 

So I snagged it. 

I also ordered up some Warne QD rings in Medium and High (my math says I need High Warnes, but old habits are hard to break...). 

Back to "The Rule" for a minute...

Once the rule is invoked and the sentence meted out, what are the Court's expectations, aside from a "full review?" Groups? "The Box Test?" An unboxing video? Something else I've not even heard or thought of? Lol!

Why, yes - that would be excellent!  :thumbup:  Fit and Finish, lens clarity, how you like the reticle - groups, box test, ease of adjustments, accuracy of adjustments!  That would be wonderful, brother! 

That would make a good review, but I don't think we've had one that detailed before, that originated with The Rule.   :laffs:

Maybe this is an excuse to buy one of those iScope adapters (which, honestly, I've been looking for for awhile, although I think they're gimmicky...).

I mean, what better way to show the reticle and the clarity of the glass than to mount an iPhone to the scope? Lol!

Edited by COBrien

3 hours ago, COBrien said:

Maybe this is an excuse to buy one of those iScope adapters (which, honestly, I've been looking for for awhile, although I think they're gimmicky...).

I mean, what better way to show the reticle and the clarity of the glass than to mount an iPhone to the scope? Lol!

I went shooting with a friend this weekend and used his spotting scope, I assumed it was cheaper (cuz I had never heard the name) but it got the job done and was clear. So later I asked him about it. Then he showed me this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M1OPULW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sDSAzb190EB0K

he said he mounts his iPhone to his spoting scope and doesn't even have to look thru his it when shooting alone just looked up at his screen of his phone.

this was a video he sent me he shot in slow mo with his iPhone attached to his spotter

Edited by shepp

I've found the iScope on Amazon and a popular online auction site for right around $60, with free shipping. Seems to me to be a better option, even though it's not as universal as the Carson Hookupz. I like the fact that the iScope completely covers the ocular bell, so the only light the camera gets is through the scope.

Having said all that, I still don't know just how clearly an iPhone will show the reticle (which, honestly, is the biggest thing that drew me to the HOG scope...). I tried focusing my phone on some small print at about 2-3" from the lens yesterday (having a Benchmade engraved for our local chief of police, trying to text my wife samples), and I couldn't get more than a fuzzy "idea" type picture. But that could be due to not holding the camera still enough...

iScope: http://iscope.com/iscope-iphone/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Iscope-Iphone-Black-Is9100/dp/B00WBE8GIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500499455&sr=8-3&keywords=iscope+iphone+6

The other place -- which shall remain nameless -- is the popular online auction site which, if memory serves, we are prohibited from posting links to...

• 1 month later...

Got the scope mounted up last month, and still haven't had a chance to get to the range. Maybe sometime in September... Between work, family, illnesses (baby's been in day care for 3 months and has already had salmonella and hand foot & mouth...), and life in general, it's been hard to find any time. 

Anyhow... Here is a pic I took out on the back patio today:

3AFD1476-1E39-41AB-9E5E-09754AF754FF_zps

I ended up mounting the scope with Warne medium rings. And yes, I know that the front edge of the front ring is hanging over the edge (but it's in the forward-most slot). And that it's within a couple thousandths of touching the turret. But I have yet to find a cantilever mount or rail spacer that doesn't add at least 1/2" of height. 

I guess the real solution is to build a DPMS Low upper... With a 16" rifle gas barrel... That'll fix my scope mounting "issues". 

Edited by COBrien