• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

NEW BUILD

JJ109

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

I used a d. wilson lightweight BCG and a weightless buffer on a build. Once done tuning it it has run great, the wife is starting to spend more time shooting a rifle since she got it. It has near 400 rounds through it from cheap Perfecta 55 gr to MK 262 77 grain just a few clicks on the gas block and it functions reliably. Here is the thread with all the particulars, parts list, final weigh in, and pictures at the end of the first page;

Thanks for hooking it up on this. Thats a dam nice looking rifle!! I hope mine looks that nice 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

JJ, I know why you want the fluting, and I completely support the plan for your build, but I'm not sure if you can even find a pencil barrel with fluting because of how thin it is already. but if you can, more power to you.

I think im going with 98's suggestion with faxon. Barrel is cheaper, lighter and very nice. 

6 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

I think im going with 98's suggestion with faxon. Barrel is cheaper, lighter and very nice. 

They're good people, subscribe to their emails. they send out weekly specials I know I've seen that barrel on it

Edited by shepp

10 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

The only thing i would rather go with the 416R stainless barrel

Like this one;

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

or this one at just a few ounces more than the faxon pencil profile;

http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-hanson-625-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

23 hours ago, JJ109 said:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3LW&name=Light+Weight+AIM+AR+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Was really liking this bolt with its reviews. I dont want to go to exotic cause of potential reliable issues 

Don't overlook d. wilson for a BCG, about an ounce heavier than the AIM but still has the FA serrations;

http://www.dwilsonmfg.com/store/p6/Light_Weight_AR15_bolt_carrier_groups.html

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Here it is with a temporary buttstock system, whilst I was waiting on the Battle Arms light(est) weight buttstock setup.  I couldn't wait, and tossed this backend on just to go blast the thing.

Detailed current pics of it will be in here tomorrow, with a full parts list.

P1040489.JPG

This gun was 5.2lbs with standard receivers and standard BCG? Nice looking set up 

3 hours ago, JJ109 said:

This gun was 5.2lbs with standard receivers and standard BCG? Nice looking set up 

Yes, finished out at 5.39lbs total.  Now, I told you that was a temporary buttstock system, in that pic, just so I could shoot it.  The 5.2lbs was before adding the PRI Combat Latch and BAD-ASS ambi safety.  After re-weighing, it's at 5.39lbs right now...

Complete parts list:

Upper: XProducts forged upper receiver
Lower: Aero Precision forged lower receiver
BAD-ASS ambi safety, long fat and short fat levers.
DSG Arms enhanced magazine catch.
ALG ACT trigger
Battle Arms Development Sabertube / BAD-LBS buttstock system
MagPul MOE K grip and poly trigger guard
Standard charging handle with PRI Combat Latch
Ares Armor Reduced Friction BCG complete
ALG EMR-V1 10" rail with it's own barrel nut
Faxon 16" pencil barrel with Faxon lightweight gasblock.
Spike's Shorty DynaComp
Fortis T1 mount
Primary Arms mini red dot
Standard parts: regular carbine buffer, buffer spring, magazine release pivot and takedown pins, ejection port door, midlength gastube and forward assist. Armalite springs throughout the lower.

Don't think I forgot anything...

THIS is what weighs 5.39lbs, total:

P1050308.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Here's the detailed pics of the thing.  Nothing special but parts selection, with lots of standard parts.  Only things I relaly payed attention to were the barrel, rail, and buttstock.  Everything else it pretty normal.  One day, I'll get into really cutting it down, without sacrificing strength - I want to keep it tough enough to beat on.

P1050318.jpg

P1050319.jpg

P1050320.jpg

P1050321.jpg

P1050322.jpg

P1050323.jpg

P1050324.jpg

P1050325.jpg

P1050326.jpg

P1050327.jpg

P1050328.jpg

I had this thing done when he was going nuts about his, and arguing parts all over the place.  After seeing his pics, it wasn't even impressive.  He was telling me that mine wasn't even light, but I built it to beat the schit out of someone with, as a design goal.  You could probably break his by hitting a Girl Scout with it...  :thumbup: 

Edited by 98Z5V

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's the detailed pics of the thing.  Nothing special but parts selection, with lots of standard parts.  Only things I relaly payed attention to were the barrel, rail, and buttstock.  Everything else it pretty normal.  One day, I'll get into really cutting it down, without sacrificing strength - I want to keep it tough enough to beat on.

P1050318.jpg

P1050319.jpg

P1050320.jpg

P1050321.jpg

P1050322.jpg

P1050323.jpg

P1050324.jpg

P1050325.jpg

P1050326.jpg

P1050327.jpg

P1050328.jpg

Wow!!! 98 that thing is badass!!! Thats very light for what you have into it.