• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Not short stroking now, but groups suck!

Now that I have over 1000 rounds through my DEF-10, it runs like a top.  No short stroking or FF or any other "function" problems.  Now..........it seems like I can't hit the side of a barn.  Took it out for a 3-gun match.  Thought I had it zeroed a while back, found I was hitting high and to the right (200 yds, 12in high, 4in right when I went back to the range and checked the zero).  Walked my group down where I wanted it and went to a match the next day.  Now, I'm shooting 12 inches low!  I remember one of my 5 shot groups looked like a 6 inch vertical string, and all my groups (@ 200 yds) are about 6 inches at best.  I'm using 147g ball ammo.  I get the same thing with 168 match ammo.  Groups that are 6+ inches and no consistency.  I'm thinking this thing should shoot better groups and not vary day to day where is hits.

I did have a primer failure a while back when breaking this thing in.  Blew the bottom and guts out of my magazine.  Stopped shooting, inspected everything for bulging/obstructed bore/anything unusual....found nothing.  I've had no problems with function of this rifle now, but I'm concerned that maybe the barrel might be loose or the upper cracked or something allowing the barrel to wiggle around relative to the scope?  Anything I should check that I haven't already mentioned? 

Edited by hogwylde
modification

Not enough info . Need to know what type ammo was used to cause this failure , very dangerous condition . 

Has the Head space been checked on this rifle , as said above . Also it will take more then a Primer blown out top cause a Magazine to blow apart . Was the Cartridge case saved & what condition was it in , any photo's ?

Chamber not to spec's , loose Barrel , Muzzle device issue , as said, loose scope or mount . 

Start with Head Space check & Chamber inspection , see if Barrel is loose . That blow out is kinda scary !

The ammo in question was some MILSURP 308 ammo I inherited.  Cases were stamped TZ 79, TZ80, TZ81.  I've since learned that this is surplus Israeli ammo that is prone to case failure.  Inspection of the cases from that shooting session showed multiple case "ruptures" and one with the entire primer face missing.  I'm not sure which particular case caused the steel DPMS style magazine to dump it's guts.  It bent the base plate and "ejected" the mag spring/follower/remaining rounds onto the bench.  Straightened the base plate, re-assembled the magazine and it (the magazine) functions fine.  I've since junked all that crap ammo and have been using PMC Bronze and ATI for range sessions.  NO indications of case bulging or any other abnormalities with the brass. I haven't had the opportunity to check anything on gun since the last range trip with the groups all over the place.  I'm curious about the no name muzzle brake I installed right after I got this thing.  I want to re-install the factory flash hider and see if things get better............

• 1 year later...